C5 Owners? | FerrariChat

C5 Owners?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Bradwilliams, Aug 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#1 Bradwilliams, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  2. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    My dad has an 01 6speed targa in yellow. I have never been a huge fan of how it drives for the fit and finish. The C6 is worth the extra money.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Yeah the interior kind of sucks but the body style is timeless and it has all the power you need. What does the drive feel like? All I can remember is that it handled like ****, very squirrely. But other than that it was fun.

4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The motor is the star. It shifts like a truck. Doesn't take much to break the rear tires loose in a corner. My biggest complaint is how disconnected the steering feels. For someone that is just using it to cruise around it is great. I just have never felt very confident knowing what the car is going to do in the turns.

The C6 is light years ahead. Not sure if one is in budget but it would be worth looking at.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    #5 Eric R, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Well I am going to have to disagree on the C6 assessment here. I have a 2012 ZR1 to compare to the C5 Z06 I put over 100k mi on and tracked several times a year. The C5Z is the most fun I have ever had in a car on the track and the street. There are cars that can do either better but not both. Felt almost like a go kart. The ZR1 is phenomenal BUT just doesn't have the same "fun" factor (except the brakes on the ZR1 are out of this world good). Is because the additional power? More weight? Balance? Yes on all of those. But of course a base C6 would be a better comparison of which I would take the C5Z every time. The ideal setup would the a C5Z with the ZR1 brakes. That would rock. But no targa though.

6. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Thanks for the input. I'd like to do a targa as the car will be outside quite a bit and we don't want to deal with the top getting ratty.

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I race a C5Z. I have done everything replace motors oyu name it. I know these cars well. I've been looking for a new car to race because the C5 is getting older and more stuff will break and parts chain is decreasing. That said I have not found a suitable replacement. I'm still racing the C5Z

of2worlds likes this.
  8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I had a C5, C6, & C7 in one form or another. Not sure what you budget is but if you wait till fall dealers in colder weather areas will likely have some good deals on new and used ones. If you can live without HUD and a few other things the base C7 cars should be a good buy.

9. 550Maranello575

550Maranello575 Formula 3

Oct 20, 2004
    Everett WA
    Full Name:
    Andrew W
    I picked up my stick 2000 Millennium Yellow convertible in late June. I've wanted a C5 since I was 6 or 7. It has its quirks, but overall I love it.

10. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Remember that there are lots of different cars that all look like Corvettes.. Depending on how it is optioned and how it is set up, there is a world of difference between them. A well set up Z or a version with the Z51 suspension is a very different car than the mushy base suspension. Not just springs and bars are different, but different suspension bushings, wheels and tires make the sport suspension cars handle and drive very nicely compared to the base cars.

In addition, a properly set up car that with an aggressive alignment is another step up from a base car with a country club suspension.

Bottom line here is that they made cars with the soft suspension so that folks that aren't really drivers can go the the country club with a load of golf clubs and not feel uncomfortable on nasty roads... But if you're serious about handling and performance if you get a car with the right suspension and properly align and corner weight the car it's a very different driving experience than the base car.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I purchased a 99 C5 coupe (manual) back in 2015, it wasn't without some of its issues but fairly simple to sort out. It's my first Corvette & I really enjoy the car so far, possibly one of the best bangs for the buck.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

JV's89 likes this.
  12. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I've never been a fan from an appearance standpoint, but that's a sharp looking vette. Love the blacked-out windows over silver.
    Wish dark windows were legal here in Pa..

13. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I had 2 C5's, fun cars. The single biggest improvement you can make to the car is getting rid of the Goodyear runflats (There's a reason they are called "run craps"). If you want to stay with runflat tires, go up one inch on wheel size (C5's are 17/18, C6 is 18/19 as is the pre-2018 base C7 ) and buy Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which are superlative (standard tire on the C7). Or there are plenty of non-runflats that fit and will literally transform the car (and you don't need new wheels). If you go to a C6, the above advice applies as well (except the wheels).