C8 CORVETTE | Page 27 | FerrariChat

C8 CORVETTE

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BJK, Jan 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    italiafan and jm2 like this.
  2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    is that 2021 red mist an actual car or photoshop?

3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Official Chevrolet picture of the new color. Tadge likes the color so much he is ordering it on his personal 2021 C8...

BJK likes this.
  4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Each to their own but this new red doesn't do it for me. Maybe if I saw it but it looks like a McLaren color.

I would have done it in Lambo bright green. It has a lot of Lambo-like cuts and creases in the body to pull it off. If they want to sell these to a younger crowd, they have to go more outrageous.

The colors the younger owners seem to be going for is that bright (Smurf) blue, white, and bright orange.

Gator and thecarreaper like this.
  5. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
  6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I really like your spec!

docapl likes this.
  7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Saw my first one in the flesh.
    Front was nice in a generic super car way. Not as inetresting as a ferrari or hurcan, better than a an Maclaren.
    The rear, wtf, it would be ok on a camro. Too heavy and overworught.

The got the c7 so right, I guess it was comitte time with t he C8.

peteficarra likes this.
  8. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
  9. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    What Does a McLaren Supercar Salesman Think Of The New CORVETTE C8?

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  11. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
  12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #662 BJK, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #663 BJK, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    FINALLY someone else ordered Blade silver with silver stripes like I did..... this is the first photo I've seen and its exactly as I hoped. I wanted a subtle stripe to spark up the silver. IMO: Fantastic.

Blade silver is going away so anyone who hasn't already ordered it will never get it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Mayor you have asthetic taste, that combo really gives the vette something, it also ties in with the duntov stingray racers

Boomhauer and TheMayor like this.
  16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That's why I'm a designer! :)

jm2 and boxerman like this.
  17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    rapid blue
    like the black with white stitching.

Attached Files:

18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    we also saw the current dark red w black stripe. very nice color.

of2worlds likes this.
  19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’m in NC right now and for the first time over the last few days have seen 3 C8s on the road.
    Driving along all of a sudden I see one coming in the other direction and on all occasions my immediate reaction was, “Oh look, here comes a Lambo. Wait, no, that’s the new ‘vette.”
    Very cool looking car when in the wild and unexpected.

of2worlds and thecarreaper like this.
  20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Dan Neil from Saturday's WSJ review of the C8

OMG.

The 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 is fantastic. I don’t think I can take many more surprises this year. The eighth generation of America’s Sports Car since 1953, and the first to put the engine behind the driver, the “C8” Stingray quick, it’s slick, it looks like my secret anime avatar on the outside and some impossible, blue-sky concept car on the inside. The hand-wrapped leather interior included in the 3LT package rivals anything in Lambo’s supply chain.

I couldn’t be more taken off my feet if GM CEO Mary Barra knocked on my door, offering to mow my lawn.

The C8 is not perfect; later on I’ll say how. But first let’s celebrate the W. A grateful nation says, Boo-yah.

It may strain diplomatic relations with Italy, however. Built on a spaceframe of aluminum extrusions and diecast chassis nodes; shrouded with composite and aluminum body panels; poised over aluminum double-A arms with coil-over magnetic dampers; and cogged with a dual-clutch transaxle, the Stingray’s anatomy resembles that of the Ferrari 488 GTB ($330,000). The 488 is more power-dense and prettier, for sure. But, taking all things in balance, the Chevy beats the snot out of it.

Main Street seems to like it. On Saturday, my neighbor rented an inflatable waterslide for his kid’s birthday. By the time I parked the Z51—a performance upgrade package that includes a throatier, two-stage exhaust system—eight wet little kids were dancing on the hot asphalt around the car, eyes wide.

Throughout my week with the Stingray—ours enameled in a stunning tobacco-brown metallic with black-and-tan interior—admirers have engaged on the ontology of Corvette-ness. More than a few have mused that “It doesn’t look like a Corvette to me,” offered as a compliment or put-down. Dude, I can’t account for your a priori , but if that doesn’t look like your idea of a Corvette, it really ought to.

Sitting in the C7, the driver looks over the instrument binnacle and past a long hood. In the C8, one looks down and out, with the roof pillars almost peripheral. The frunk lid falls away like a waterslide; the pedals are between the front wheels. The difference in visibility might be compared with moving from the pilot’s seat to the nose-gunner position in a B-17 Flying Fortress.

After years of taking grief for chintzy interiors, the C8’s design team, and their accountants, seem out to prove something. It’s like a leather-upholstered jigsaw puzzle in there. The cabin gleams with pewter-like accents framing the switches, screens, and blade-thin HVAC vents. The drive selector is an elegant switchset reminiscent of the Fisker Karma. The drive-mode selector lives under its own, handsome leather hillock, a palm rest. The high-rez touch screen and connected digital UX is current, easy to reach and read. Where has this GM been all my life?

What makes the C8 quicker is its weight distribution, an ass-heavy 40/60, front/ rear, compared with the previous ratio of about 50/50.

Here we arrive at the casus belli of the entire program: 0-60 mph. In the first critical milliseconds of holeshot acceleration, delta-v is proportional to the percentage of vehicle weight that can be slung over the rear wheels. With the engine up front, the C7 was weight-transfer limited. It could have had a million horsepower and it wouldn’t get any quicker.

Between its short-geared, launch-perfecting DCT and the chassis’s squat-thrust under load, the C8 is a palpable 1.1 seconds quicker to 60 mph on its way to a ¼-mile ticket of 11.2 seconds, according to the brand.

So how is C8 not perfect? The reflections of the tan leather interior on the windshield made our tester just about hazardous; something must be done about that. In various ways the car felt constrained, seemingly in the effort to maintain headroom for more potent variants. The engine rev-limiter/fuel cutoff point seems set artificially low (6,450 rpm).

I suppose the C8 could be accused of excessive refinement, to the point of not being recognizably a Corvette. With the V8 behind its occupants, so too is much of the aural drama. An unprecedented, Lexuslike sophistication inhabits the adaptive suspension, the pillowed upshifts, the muted cabin ambience.

But don’t worry: If you forget it’s a Corvette, people will remind you.

VETTING PROCESS: The long, iconic hood may be gone, but the mid-engine Z51 rivals the speed of much pricier Ferraris.

22. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    "The reflections of the tan leather interior on the windshield made our tester just about hazardous; something must be done about that."

Curious. Thoughts/comments/experience from other owners on this? Other color dash's or deviated (contrasting color) stitching?

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I've ordered it. I'll let you know! But I think polarized sunglasses would take care of most of the issues.

I've sent PMs to owners who have it and they haven't responded. Full dipped is a very rarely selected option. And there are a lot of McLarens and Porsche with a tan dash.

k wright likes this.
  24. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I would have thought that GM engineers and designers would have thought the reflection issue thru better. I wonder if it also interferes with the Heads Up display?

Oh well, anyway, I believe anti-reflective dash pads are available in the aftermarket, but that is a bit ghetto.

25. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    I've read Porsche owners accounts of black leather dash with white 'deviated' stitching. They said never again. Constant distraction.