C8 CORVETTE | Page 58 | FerrariChat

C8 CORVETTE

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BJK, Jan 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Mine is a 2021.No problems at all.

2. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    2021 Chevrolet Corvette Production is Being Shut Down and it's Not Because of Chip Shortage
    The Bowling Green, Kentucky Corvette plant will be idle until June1, but apparently not because of the chip shortage that is causing so many delays.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The Bowling Green, Kentucky, assembly plant that builds the popular 2021 Chevrolet Corvette will be shut down until at least June 1, the day after Memorial Day. This is just the latest delay for the sports car after a number of shutdowns already this year.

General Motors released a statement saying the shutdown is tied to parts shortages but not because of the semiconductor chips shortage. "Our supply chain, manufacturing and engineering teams are working closely with our supply base to mitigate any further impact on production, and we expect the plant to resume normal operations on Tuesday, 1 June,"

While Chevrolet is not saying exactly what parts are in short supply, a commodities website is theorizing that the shortage is tied to the winter storm that hit the south in February. The storm knocked many chemical plants offline. Those plant closures could affect the production of other petroleum-based parts and supplies. The website says that petrochemicals make up more than a third of the raw material costs of an average vehicle.

A String of Corvette Plant Closures

This is the third time that the Corvette plant has had to close because of parts issues just since February. Chevy also had to cease production late last year because of Covid-related supply issues.

Unfortunate to Delay a Hot Seller

What is particularly sad about the new delays is that the C8 Corvette has been a hot seller for Chevrolet. This is only the second year for the mid-engine design and there appears to still be significant demand for the performance car. Chevrolet worked for years to get the mid-engine design perfected. While Chevrolet still builds a relatively small number of the halo cars per year, compared to the huge numbers of trucks and SUVs, it is sad to see them lose or delay any of the planned production.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Got my car back today. Hurray! My Home button works. Now I can actually use Apple Car play. They had to replace the entire electronic unit. What's interesting is all my presets are back in the new one so they must have transferred the files somehow.

My only issue is that they do not wash cars. The body has lots of bird poo. Frustrating. Oh well, I had a loner for a week. Time to take it for a hand wash tomorrow.

4. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1429 TheMayor, May 25, 2021
    Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Asked in another thread: "Off topic - you own an Alfa 4C and now a C8 - which do you like better? I realize they are very different, but curious if you only had enough money for one, which would you choose?"

So there is no easy answer to this. The cars and purposes are so different. And your environment may also be a factor. I'm lucky I live in a warm climate with no snow and very little rain. If I had to drive the Alfa in the winter in a cold climate it would be impossible.

But I'll try. The Alfa is really raw. The C8 is really refined. I tried for months to use the Alfa as a DD. Its just about impossible. Its not practical and when it needs service the car is gone for weeks. The C8 is practical. I can put stuff in it and go to the market. Its comfortable to drive. I like that I can push a button and make the top go down.

The Alfa is really like (yes, I know its a cliche') a race car for the streets. The noise from the motor and the pop off value just behind your head is amazing -- but its impossible to use your phone even at idle. It has practically no creature comfort and is difficult to get in and out of. The seats are tight. Slow speed steering is a major work out for your arms. Forget parallel parking. The brakes however are the best. Seriously strong, rock hard pedal, and very controllable. The light weight really helps.

Then again, some things on the Alfa are a complete joke. The sunvisors are the size of a postcard. The one winshield wiper works but won't clean the entire windscreen. To refill the washer bottle you have to remove part of the body work and squirt the fluid in with a special bottle. The trunk release is in the door so to open the trunk, you have to open the door first. And the rear hatch is held up by an aluminum strut. Every time you put something in the trunk you have to put all your stuff on the ground first.

There's basically no infotainment system. I used my cell phone but I jerry rigged my own method to hold the phone. Even so the wires to power my Iphone came out from under the dash and dangled loosely in the passenger area. Why they just didn't add a USB port to the center console is beyond me. "Its Italian!". Oh and the cup holders are a waste. I used an aftermarket one.

And not one camera -- even out the back. Because they put in an aftermarket radio in the dash.

The C8 has cameras everywhere. Its faster 0-60 but the Alfa does it with more emotion. And the steering in the Alfa is excellent where the power steering in the C8 is adequate.

The Alfa feels a lot smaller as well. Its about the same width but its almost 2 feet SHORTER than the C8. I'm used to the C8 now but at first I thought it was huge.

The reason I bought the C8 was to get a performance mid engine daily driver. And for that purpose, its brilliant. The Alfa I bought because I wanted a hard core lightweight sportscar with Italian looks. And for that purpose, its brilliant.

SO the answer the question "which would you have if you could only have one -- I might lean to the C8 because its just a far better daily driver but has plenty of performance. But it lacks the personality of the Alfa 4c. But then, what does?

Mind you I paid $25 grand MORE for the C8. With the Alfa, there are no choices. You just get whatever you can find. I found a new Launch Edition that ran close to 70k. The C8 (which is really loaded and a convertible hard top) ran to $95.

Therefore, there is no real answer to the question. And if I lived in a cold place the answer would clearly be the C8.

WJHMH, thecarreaper and rdefabri like this.
  5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    2021 has some new stripe options. You can get a bit bolder now. I rather like this convertible with a red interior and red stripes and red calipers.

6. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    k wright likes this.
  7. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
  8. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    jm2 likes this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Too bad you cant turn/steer the front wheels.:rolleyes:

energy88 and BOKE like this.
  10. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    jm2 likes this.
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    energy88 likes this.
  12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    A couple of people in the Aussie section have already put down deposits.

13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    How many times do people say this when they know, or should know, that these 'slammed on the ground' cars have air suspension? :rolleyes: ;)

jm2 likes this.
  14. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky

Pawilly and jm2 like this.
  15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    ummm, no o_O although I wouldn't be surprised to see this and 30 other 'customs' at the next SEMA show.

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    And how many times do we have to hear how all the slammed cars all have air suspensions? :rolleyes:;)

17. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    How about this version? What about the rear aero? The air inlet snorkels?

jm2 likes this.
  18. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    There are going to be a lot of ugly C8's out there but if you bought it do what you want with it and enjoy. The C8 has had so much drama with current production delays and software glitches I'm not buying one until they become boring, debugged, and plentiful on the dealer lots like walking up to a dealer lot during the C7 days and the salesmen asked what color are you interested in. We expect dumb stuff from Ferrari. I can't handle dumb stuff from my daily drivers. I would not have been happy going through the Mayor's inconvenience with the software upgrade.

Boomhauer and boxerman like this.
  19. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Speaking of Rear Aero mods, the cheap skates may want to consider this highly affordable sophisticated device. Available at an HD store.

jm2 likes this.
  20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
  21. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Had mine for 10 months. No issues, no drama. All time favorite daily driver

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

DIGMAN52 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  22. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    It's made to compete with the Challenger Demon...;)

jm2 likes this.
  23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    of2worlds likes this.
  24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Tires on this car is not cheap! Lost a rear today. $600 all in to replace. My guess is a complete set will lay you out a little over 2 grand.

25. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    you're lucky that you have low miles or you would have to replace a pair. mismatched overall size could wear rear diff >> voided warranty, sorry repairs not covered. or not. :p

TheMayor likes this.