C8 Z06 | Page 16 | FerrariChat

C8 Z06

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by sainthoo, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That's so wide. I hope I can fit the damn thing in my garage.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The C8 is already pretty wide. I'm thinking the door area is not wider so the door doesn't come out farther when opening. But the front and rear track are going to be pushed out. If that's the case, getting it into a garage space won't be anymore difficult as the open door dimensions are the true limitation.

3. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Unless you’re parking underneath a 4 post lift.

Dragster and TheMayor like this.
  4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    That wish bone has got to go! All the other subtle changes outlined are an improvement. Fingers crossed that the rear end will show similar improvement. Looks like GM spent a fair amount of $$$ on tooling changes for the better.

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    nobody wants a z06 to haul golf clubs. make the z06 a short tail.

sigar, anunakki, boxerman and 2 others like this.
  6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'd like to be able to put my clubs in the back. It's very useful.

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Apparently the reveal is at the Petersen Museum in LA.

8. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    Do you have a date, Mayor?

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ he will probably take his wife/gf:p

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    10-26 at 12 EST (9 AM in LA where the museum is)

IMO, the car will go from the Petersen to SEMA for a few days in early Nov, then eventually to the LA Auto show the middle to end of Nov.

There's no guarantee but its hard for me to believe they wouldn't bring it to SEMA and whatever GM brings to SEMA usually ends up at the LA Auto show.

niklas likes this.
  11. Wikdstrate

Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Am I the only one cross-shopping the ZO6 with a Tesla Model S Plaid? I wonder if anyone else is doing this?

I'm a little torn because I've learned my lesson over the years about trying to turn fast street (sports) cars into race cars and it just doesn't work. You end up with some bastardized "frankenstein" car that doesn't quite work on track or on the street. I've driven enough on track over the past 18 years to realize race cars are a much better, safer, and often less expensive way to enjoy tracking than modifying a car that wasn't really designed for tracking. I had a GT3 for tracking and it was the closest thing to a track ready street car but even that car had issues on track (car would over-heat its rear steering motors and go into a fault mode eliminating rear steering while driving mid-corner which made consistent lapping kind of unnerving.) For this reason, even the new ZO6 (however track capable it is supposed to be) will never see track time from me.

I would love a ZO6 to blast around on the way to work and occasionally drive on the weekend but I am wondering if the Tesla would be better suited for my needs.

I like the absolute ridiculous straight line acceleration of the Tesla. It would help me navigate traffic on the way to work ( I live and work in a rural setting with lots of backroads with short passing zones). Testing the cornering limits of even the Tesla on public roads seems irresponsible to me so I don't see the argument of the Tesla not handling well on the street. If you compare the ZO6 to the Tesla on the track, then yes, the ZO6 is light years ahead of the Tesla.

The Tesla is fairly modest and I could drive it to my office without my patients (or staff) raising an eyebrow. I could slap some snow tires on the Tesla and actually drive it year round. This adds even more utility to the hatchback for me and that doesn't even take into consideration that I can take my kids with me (and to school) in the Tesla.

A ZO6 would be an 8-9 month driver for me because of our terrible winters. Then there's also the (almost) maintenance free driving of the Tesla and the need to never stop for gas. I have 3 young children at home and I work a lot so saving even 5 minutes by not stopping for gas is a big deal for me since I have to rush home after work to see my kids before they do to bed. I will have a home charger and almost never take the car on long trips so I'm really not concerned about charge times, range, or charging locations/convenience.

I know the Tesla's still have tons of quality control issues (which is insane to me given that the car is $135K) and I'm trying hard NOT to like the Tesla but there seems to be many benefits of getting a Plaid that may make it better suited for my needs.

I get that the new ZO6 may be a special car given it may be the last of the naturally aspirated mid-engine V8's, but I'm not sure I really want another street car that pretends to be a race car that has limited utility. I sold my Scuderia because it was a "point A to point A" car that I could not enjoy with my family and haven't regretted that decision one bit.

Am I nuts for thinking this way?

12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    yes. apples and watermelons. :confused: o_O :p

sigar and Alcav5 like this.
  13. Wikdstrate

Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Yes, they are extremely different.

It must be my age, but I am struggling to make sense of really fast street cars with limited utility. I guess it hit me when my friend asked me why I was driving a street car on track (my 991.2 GT3) as he hopped in his Cup Car. He also asked me why I was driving a (slightly) modified street car set-up for track use while he hopped into his AMG Mercedes with massaging/heated/cooled seats, 4 doors, plush suspension and room for his kids and groceries. Definitely made me think and I ended up selling my GT3.

When I go to the race track I want to be in a RACE car. There are tons of cheap race cars (to buy and maintain) that are safer than a ZO6 and would absolutely annihilate it on track and feel way more visceral.

I guess a ZO6 would make sense if I could only have one car but I doubt there are many folks buying ZO6's that can only afford 1 car. I suppose the reverse is true as well. If I were financially in a position to afford 20 cars I would absolutely add one to the collection. Just at a point where I don't want more stuff that I don't use much.

Not meaning to bash the ZO6, I have no doubt it will be a neat car, just trying to figure out where it makes sense (for me).

I'm struggling to see the point. But to each their own. Still looking forward to Oct 26th to see what GM came up with...

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #389 TheMayor, Oct 17, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    I bought a ticket for the Petersen on the reveal day. I'll take a bunch of pics. Anything people are really interested in seeing aside from the usual? I hope they bring a convertible. I imagine they would.

The reveal is 9 and the Peterson opens at 10. So I guess they didn't want a bunch of gawkers around during the speeches.

As to the "tesla plaid vs Z06", the only reason I'm interested in this car is that twin cam flat plane crank motor in the back. I don't care how fast an electric car goes vs it. The C8 is a really fine car for 99% of people's needs. But it lacks the one thing that would make it really special -- a street version of a race motor in the back.

anunakki, VAF84, pdxjim488 and 2 others like this.
  15. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    @Wikdstrate
    dont take this the wrong way, but i would suggest working less and spending more time w the kiddos.
    they grow up way too fast. once they are 15 they will never be home. then crank up the work schedule.

Thecadster and Wikdstrate like this.
  16. Wikdstrate

Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Yes, I am making a conscious effort to do just that.

Been making moves so that we have things/experiences we can ALL enjoy as a family. Sold the Scuderia to install a nice backyard for the kids to enjoy. Sold the GT3 to buy a boat to take the kids waterskiing.

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The Z06 is a long way off and I don't think it will be a good DD like the C8, so I'm thinking of getting a new Nissan Z. 400HP, 6 speed manual. That may be my get around car while the Z06 is more of a weekender. Not sure yet but that's the idea.

I like the Maserati MC20 also but I think it will be too difficult to get and too quickly depreciate.

18. Wikdstrate

Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    If you really like your C8 for a DD maybe you should keep it and get the ZO6 for weekend fun?

That would be quite a pair.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No I want a manual car.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  20. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    When does the the new Nissan Z release?

EDIT: Never mind...Spring 2022 as a 2023 model.

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yah. I'm going to try to stop by a Nissan dealer this week and see what they say.

22. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
  23. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #398 BJK, Oct 20, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  24. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    2023 Corvette Z06 Will Rev To 8,600 RPM (or 8500? o_O whatever)
    https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/10/2023-corvette-z06-will-rev-to-8600-rpm-video/

"The forthcoming 2023 Chevy Corvette Z06 debut video will feature professional basketball player and gold medal-winner Devin Booker,
    as well YouTube superstar (? :rolleyes:) and performance driver Emelia Hartford, both of whom will dive into the development process behind
    the new go-faster mid-engine ‘Vette with some of GM’s engineers and designers."

PLEEEZE , Do I want to listen to Devin Booker and Emelia Hartford on the Z06 ? :confused: o_O :eek: W T F ! :rolleyes: