C8 Z06 | Page 26 | FerrariChat

C8 Z06

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by sainthoo, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    It has a warranty. What’s the risk?

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I guess its not a big deal to you guys.

Risk to me is troubles w new to gm motor that never gets right despite warranty. And you know gm is going to fight warranty claims if something big comes up. Maybe fixes come in later yrs making your 1st edition worthless in comparison. Whats the reason to want to own it anyway esp w vette history depreciation?

I always enjoyed low stress w leased cars I tracked a lot. Worked well w gt3 and gtr. Use, abuse, and just hand right back. Z06 fits in that category to me. To each his own...

boxerman likes this.
  3. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    History of depreciation? The Corvette is one of the best models out there.
    Chevrolet Corvette Depreciation (caredge.com)

4. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Got the depreciation angle from one of the youTube vette bloggers. Don't remember which one.

5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This car is not going depreciate. It’s going to double in value. Why burden yourself with silly thoughts?

F2003-GA likes this.
  6. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    For sure flippers will get huge markups. $100k? But what about when market cools off?

Anyway, I would lease it but since I'm not even in market for one now, totally moot point.

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I belive theyre a standalone option on either version.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  9. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    I feel like this car will eventually follow the depreciation of all the other corvettes of years past. Yeah, it’ll sell like hotcakes out of the gate and will command a premium for awhile, but years down the line it’ll come down in price.

After all, it’s a mass produced Chevy. This is all just my opinion of course. Its my hope that this car does come down in price so that I can grab one but if not, I’ll happily settle for the C8 which undoubtedly will come back down to earth price wise

Spezia, boxerman and Dragster like this.
  10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, you could be right but I have 5 points to make

1) The Z06 is going to be a limited supply to the market, at least for several years.
    2) It might be the last great N/A V8 motor built. As the rest of the world moves to hybrids and turbos, its going to be unique.
    3) Probably all of them will be customer spec cars. That means unlike dealer ordered cars they will have more ordered uniquely with fewer "generic" color combos and options. Most previous Corvette models were dealer ordered and you found one on a lot. A lot of similar used cars means the only difference is mileage and PRICE.
    4) On Corvettes its not unusual to see 5-10K per miles year put on the car. 100,000 miles on a Chevy is only its mid-life. So feel free to drive it without worry of depreciation.

And the most important reason:

5) At $140 grand if it depreciates in 5 years to 1/2 that value, that's only 70 grand. Even 2 seater Ferrari will depreciate 70 grand in 5 years, especially if you drive more than 1500 miles a year. Mac and Lambo's worse.

So I really don't care if it depreciates like past Corvettes.

11. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Right. And a a exotic will cost the sales tax difference in price plus for those in states (like Michigan) with a ****ty registration asset tax like $2500 annually for the exotic sticker vs maybe $400 for the vette (cause it’s based on base z06 msrp, not loaded version and base msrp of a exotic is multiples higher).

there are lots of ways to lose more money on a car, even today, than a z06 for a few years ownership of you buy it at msrp.

VAF84, TheMayor and Wikdstrate like this.
  12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That's a good point as well. My Stingray had a final MSRP of $89,500. When I bought the 458 spider the MSRP was like $285K with the final price being $318K. That MSRP difference meant a huge difference in sales tax at the initial purchase. I paid like 2.5 times sales tax just to get the Ferrari. That's "lost" money on day one.

13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    What could take some of the heat off the Z06 market in 3-6 years will be the introduction of the E-Ray, ZR1 and/or Zora. All will be 'faster', tho more expensive.
    Many only care about 'bragging rights' speed and will want the latest and greatest.

boxerman and TheMayor like this.
  14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There's a law of diminishing returns as the price keeps going up. You get 0.3 seconds faster but it costs $50,000 more. Is it worth it?

k wright and VAF84 like this.
  15. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    Then I’ll just have to wait for the C8 to drop in price, which I have no issues with as it’s a great car itself. None of us have crystal balls. The Z06 could depreciate, it may not. I might be right, or you. We’ll just wait and see

16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT

MikeR397 and thecarreaper like this.
  17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    They went out to make an American 458 and they topped themselves.

k wright, WJHMH, Wikdstrate and 3 others like this.
  18. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    its almost like chevy decided to make the car the 458 would have become if regulations didnt force ferrari to go turbo. very difficult to spend 2x for a 458 without a warranty. and i would take this over both turbos 488/f8 regardless price.

19. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    very disappointing engine/exhaust sound audio. o_O

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The most interesting American car since the Vector.

k wright likes this.
  21. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Agree.

are regulations really why Ferrari has to be turbo, or is it also they need to have top paper mag and 0-60 numbers? Has anyone in the government ever driven a turbo car spiritedly and seen what happens to the mpg?

95spiderman likes this.
  22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Love the car but man, Jay appears to be getting old. Repeats himself endlessly, seems confused at times, and he doesn’t seem to do any prep at all. “...so the Z07 is an option package?”
    If he were starting out as a YouTuber doing car reviews he’d get no views. So many others do such a better job with salient facts, on point dialogue, and far superior production quality.His videos are bordering on being something between an infomercial and a complete waste of time.

3POINT8, MikeR397 and Wikdstrate like this.
  23. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i thought there was too much of jay talking while driving and not enough of the car. lots of details missed.

italiafan likes this.
  24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree that Jay is not the same. I think he's too "old school" for many car enthusiasts today. Chevy used him because he has a huge following and they know Jay wouldn't say anything negative about anything. I'm not sure much was learned form this video but its interesting anyway.

25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That is a typical Jay driving video. Most of it is reminiscing about old cars and comparing them to the new one he's driving.

MikeR397, 95spiderman and VAF84 like this.