C8 Z06 | Page 43 | FerrariChat

C8 Z06

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by sainthoo, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    maybe lots of speculators.

2. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I have had many vettes (91 vert, 92 ZR1, 93 ZR1, (3) 02C5Z, 12 ZR1) and had written the C8 off. Could not stand the looks of it and no manual. Now this Z06 has my interests. It looks a ton better but still no manual. Neither does the 458 or the 650S I have been contemplating. I think I coming back around to this. I can order it like I want something I have never done. It will be over $150k when loaded out. Still cheaper than the other two plus I guarantee it will be cheaper to maintain. Over on the CF they are losing their minds over the price. I dare remind them that the C6ZR1 was $130k (mine was) and the C7ZR1 even more. This new Z06 will spank both so is priced accordingly. They all are saying they might as well get a McLaren. Good luck with that insurance and maintenance costs! Very short sighted people on this.

F2003-GA, Piper, VAF84 and 2 others like this.
  3. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    The exotics will definitely have higher operating costs, but the 458 may retain value better than the Corvette--plus the previous owner(s) have already incurred the biggest depreciation costs.

4. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #1054 Piper, Jul 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
    458 for me is the one that got away. I was looking at 458 spiders when C8 became a reality, switched camps and never looked back. 458 really doesn't compare at this point. It's really an under performer by modern standards. I seem to recall the initial numbers of 458 which were great at the time, were 0-60 in 3.5 or 3.3 with slicks. So C8 Z06 is going to be nearly a full second faster 0-60(without slicks) which is what most corvette fans are going to care about. It's what I care about. My son and I have most of our fun finding empty 1/8th miles here and there to launch. My blood burn for 458 is completely gone, ship sailed. It's an old car now. FWIW have you looked at used 458s lately? Owners have recovered most of that depreciation lately, albeit temporarily and in adjusted dollars. Can't get back a dozen years though. Man, I wish I could.

VAF84 likes this.
  5. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    I think the price is more than fair. Can't wait to see the review on yours!

TheMayor likes this.
  6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think my car will cost me about $160,000. I am tempted to not take the first car from my dealer but I'm started to get quite annoyed at the idea of a $30,000 dealer mark up on top of the car. I also think GM will offer better options on the car in the coming years as far as new colors, etc.

I'm torn. Not sure what to do.

7. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Wait for the guys who have owned 30-40 corvettes in their life drop off the list because it costs too much and they feel "betrayed". Dealers may see that the entire production may not be sold out and start to lower ADMs.

8. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    In a year or two- discounts?

9. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    I’m not excited about GM’s current pricing for their ZO6. A decent spec’d car will come in around $175K after taxes.

At that price GM better be ready to step-up and be accountable for their past reliability/durability issues. If they price it like this, it better be able to hold-up with similarly priced options.

I had a C6 ZO6 and everything on that car melted on track (motor mounts, suspension mounts, boiled power steering fluid…etc.) The car was advertised as a “race ready vehicle off of the showroom floor” and was anything but.

We all know about the plethora of issues the C7 ZO6’s had. I was willing to overlook these shortcoming because of the massive price delta between these cars and their much more durable counterparts.

My 991.2 GT3 was twice the price of my ZO6 but it was exponentially more reliable/durable right from the dealer.

I’m going to have an awful hard time letting any of GM’s past issues “slide” when this car is driven at its’ limit.

GM is charging big boy prices for this car and they better damn well produce a product that is commensurate with this price.

Lots to live up to when your playing in the $200K range. I hope GM will come through but their past is not indicative of their ability to do so.

10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    hopefully the have the headlight paint chipping issue fixed by then.
    not looking forward to having paint work done within a couple thousand miles.

11. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Depending when the ZR1 debuts, the Z06 may be the halo car for only a couple years. I just picked up a new Camaro ZL1-1LE and sat in a Blackwing at the Cadillac dealer next door that was in for some service or something and it was great too. I think a lot of corvette fans are pissed and the ones that stick around may move up to the ZR1. GM should obtain a list of all Z06 buyers and any multiples identified. How many Z06 buyers are really out there at $150k in a recession?

12. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    There are many dealers who do not mark the price up. PM me if you want a couple of names or you can go over the other forum and look for them.

13. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Henna in Austin didn't have a markup. The problem is they have a small allocated amount and warned me it may take a few years. I don't think there were even that many people on the list when I called... maybe around 70?

14. bthibodeaux

bthibodeaux Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Thibodeaux
    I think the higher than anticipated price should go a long way toward at least curtailing markup activity. GM is smart to finally take their fair share of the pie.

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    458 is double the money of a z06. Yes it mostly wont depreciate further. But it will absorb 100k over 10 years and if you put mileage on it will depreciate, lets say the 458 will absorb 100k and the opportunity cost of the extra 100k.
    The vette will have running coats and depreciation over 10 years which if you put 50k miles it you're going to be at the 100k between the loss and cost to run.
    So lest say more or less even between one and the other, but ya gotta lay out 100k more to have the ferrari and will use it less.
    Basically what suits ones needs better. Doing 1k miles in the ferrari per year or 10k in the vette.
    Old car vs new car. Italian beauty vs vette.

Personally I'd go for the vette because the performance of the 458 is not really extractable on road, and on track its like 5k per day not counting massive depreciation for a tracked ferrari. Or put another way, do you want the ferrari as a fun road car/pose, in which case it may well be a better option than the vette, or do you have more intensive use in mind in which case the vette may be a better option.

Depends also I suppose where you live. In Fl the vtte is going to work at all those stoplights and highway, but in Miami/palm beach the ferrari would be the thing for showing up in. Somewhere with backroads like ct or Ca the smaller size of the ferrari will work better and both these cars will have more go than can be deployed.
    If you think youre going to the track, its the vette for sure. If its highways and stoplights+ track the ferrari is not really a good choice, id reckon it will cost near double the vette to run on track, and if anything breaks it will add up real fast, add to that the steep depreciation from tracking a ferrari.

one other thing, a new vette will be turnkey, and there is a lot to be said for that.

in years past the performance of the ferrari both in terms of motor handling and general dynamics would put it in a completely different orbit, not so sure that delta is so big or really relevant today, the intangibles though might still be a big thing..

personaly if I were going to be speding the 250+k for a 458 would just get a new Hurricane, far more exotic and viceral, or go for a Mc20.

Piper likes this.
  16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This is what I think I will order this time. A little flashier. I saw a video of someone with the hypersonic gray and silver stripes and it was fantastic. They stand out more than this illustration shows.

The only options are the front lift, red calipers, and stripes. All in with Museum delivery about $131K + tax + registration. Looking at close to $150K. Too bad I didn't sell the C8 a few months ago. Could have gotten $110K easily. Now? Maybe 90. I think I would rather drive the car back instead of shipping it. Either way it will cost about $3 grand all in.

Things I don't need: CF crap, the Z09 package, and CCB's, All I really "need" is the front lift. Its a nose saver!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Phil~, VAF84 and Piper like this.
  17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ base interior?

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No 3LZ. I like the leather and the stitching.

19. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I like your build. I spoke to Furman at Criswell today and he still thinks I'm looking at 3 more years. By then my son will be off to college and I can get an old man color. I like zeus bronze. I think they changed the brown a little for the Z06. Agree on no funky aero packages and unnecessary CF bling, though I want some tasteful bits here and there. I "do" want CCBs tho. It's worth it to not have heavy brake dust.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

thecarreaper and TheMayor like this.
  20. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I believe if you want carbon ceramic brakes, you need to option the Z07 package, which also requires the carbon aero package. It ends up being about $17,000.

21. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I believe you're right, but I'm hoping over the coming years before I can even place my order, that will change. There are a lot of people who want to a la carte all of that. Some only want the wheels, some the wing. I would get the package for my kid, if I could order in the next year or two. He would love the wheels, but I'd see if I could take the wing off and store it for the next owner. Though if I can't even get my car until he's graduating then I'm just building for myself and I would only care about the CCBs.

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Where are you guys finding this configurator with prices. The chev site with z06 does not seem to give prices or easy configuration.
    It seems that at least on the chev site if you want to aero package youre stuck with ceramic brakes which imo are total waste of $ and pointless for track use.

Its also not clear to me whether the competition and Gt2 seats are the same thing or competition is more bolstered .

My ideal spec woudl be a coupe, with aero, no cermaics, a textile competiton seat in subtle red, and leather on dash etc.
    Its pretty clear that to get anything like that you have to order z07 with red leater seats, ie spend an extra 15-20k for crap, at least your not stuck with Alcantara which really sucks.

maybe one has to buy a base car, add aero bits from the aftermarket, but that dosent quite ork out either as chev really has honed the air flow on the aero pcakage.
    I could see an aftermarketr rear wing though as the high wing does not seem to really produce huge downforce at cornering speeds.

in short i think the z06 looks great, ill bet its motor is great and it prbably has huge grip so corners well. But thats still a far cry from the pcar workd where you get swan neck spoilers, real competition seats and iron rotors. Chev still needs to decide what this car is. Theyre chargihg enough now to do the alacarte and some more serious bits.

23. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    the official configurator for the Z06 isn’t up yet; for now they just have the visual configurator as you’ve already seen. The info on options came from the documents that Chevy released. I believe there’s also some documents that explain what the other options and prices are as well. Regarding the seats, the competition seats are definitely different than the GT2 seats, but I’ve never sat in them so I can’t say how much different they feel. The GT2 seats are good seats for the street with or without an occasional track day as they do at least have adjustable side bolsters (IIRC).

24. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I was looking at this color combo as well minus stripes (same as my F430). My build would be 2LZ, lift, aero package. At this point I'm seriously, looking at offloading my F430 for the C8Z. I was really thinking about what kept me in my Ferrari. What lured me to Ferrari (355 through 458) was the sound, visceral experience, and racing heritage. The C8Z provides most of that, at a lower price, with modern amenities/comfort, and better reliabiity; although the visceral part is yet to be seen.Thing is I will be waiting a while because I wouldn't want to pay more than MSRP for it.

25. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

BTW can anyone make the argument for or against the convertible. I'm leaning towards convertible, but considering the non-convertible has a targa top and IMO looks better, I wasn't sure if it was worth it. I think the only thing I've heard against targa is that most people won't end up taking the top off, and it takes up trunk space on trips. Maybe wind buffeting?