C8 Z06 | Page 69 | FerrariChat

C8 Z06

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by sainthoo, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Open track days like trackmasters at glen are different category than hpde. I haven't been w them for years but almost all those cars were race or mod street on trailers. What's it like now?

Can't really expect stock street to hold up well under those circumstances. Not even porsche. My gt3 couldn't do it. Broke the lsd. Body flex caused windshield and cup holders break. Much worse was rad hose dumping fluid on tires in 75 mph turn. Lucky no cars behind me or I wouldn't be writing this.

So no way will 3700 lb z06 do that for long either. But i bet it will hold up for typical hpde user. 3 or 4 sessions per day at 80%. Only a few really hot laps per day at most. Maybe 5 days per year of this. Z06 able do that and it fulfills its mission.

sailfly likes this.
  2. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    The ONLY point is that big speed means big money in consumables. ANY car that's capable of a 2:40 on VIR Grand is going EAT consumables, if for no other reason beyond how hard it corners and how much speed it carries into corners. Slowing down from 155 MPH (or more) on the front straight verses slowing down from 115 is monumental. Even discussing a Lotus Elise/Exige/Evora with a GT3/C8 Z06 is silly, it's like comparing a Formula Ford to a Formula One car.

FWIW, a dear friend has now tracked his new GT4RS at VIR (Full Course). He is an accomplished driver. His Cup2R's were shot after one weekend.

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

One weekend is fine, thats two days. 1/2 day is not fine or practical.
    V6 exige runs same times as Gt3.
    Big speed in that v6 exige car is at least 1.5k per day.($300-400 in race gas, $1000 in tires $100 pad allowance, $100 in rotor allowance $100 other consumables) Not counting truck and trailer to get to the track, and Im probably missing some things. Big speed in a Gt3 is 2.5k per day and that car can use pump gas. But both those cars can do it all summer long without needing things like wheel bearings rotors every few days or mid day pad changes. there is also the practical realty that if tires only last 1/2 a day and you drive the car to the track, youre not runing a full day let alone 2, unless you trailered there. Nothing ruins a time at the track like a car that wont last or breaks.

The question then is one of being able to maintain that speed all day for two days, and as you point out a Gt4Rs can, it weights around 3000lbs. I know a camaro can, and it can do it for less than the Gt3. the question is whether the corvette can run 2 days with tires it drove in on, and whether the pads last, also there is a question on brake rotors. then there are going to be other questions as to what sort of regular maintance the car needs to be able to run a season. As a Rules I change engine oil, transmission fluid and brake fluid every 4 days of runtime. I can do that on my lift at home. Is there good acess to do these things one the vette, does the transaxle need fluid changes or is it good to go for a season, does it have to go to a dealer to do that.

if the car has to go to a dealer every 4 days of runtime, then its track prowess is not a practical reality same as a mclaren. Its not just cost, its a function of your time and hassle getting it there.

Alsoi the Glenn is at least as challenging as Vir and is considered Americas numbering.

im not dissing the vette, Im asking questions to which we do not yet have answers. On the porche you have already answered, it will run two days which is what we expect and imo the practical standard for a drive to the track car, not least because many of us have to drive hours to get to the track, and the type of events were referencing(see spideys post above) run 2 days or more.
    the way I see it, drive to the track, run two days, drive home, at your leisure swap wheels and tires, pads as need be(either at track or home), and can you do fluid changes at home. Does the rest of the car hold up without needing anything major for the season so heavy maintance can be done in off season. lastly rotors are a major cost item, its why most swap to iron rotos even cup racers and the one poster here who tracks his 458.
    Thats all a practical reality.

On the exige so far the only big thing is 4 seasons thats needed doing is brake rotors and Im now replacing one of the drive shafts. i did replace the computer with a motec though early on and loose the cats. That's a function of pure track running, 10 stage traction systems and managing the difficulties of superchargers on track. But its basicaly mechanicaly bullet proof turn key.

the vette as we know probably has the best traction systems already.

If the car requires a lot more than that to work on track, then you might as well have a tow to the track car.

As i said there is a sweetspot for a car that is a drive to the track car. For sure each car has compromises. Gt3 probably nails it best, Zl1 !lt is really compromised on road, Vette, lets see how they sliced it and durability of things that traditionally did not last on vettes.

That some early motors have blown on road at 600 miles means nothing. Porche blew rods on the 991's and sometimes production needs sorting. plus that evtte motor is actually being raced. Im not concerned about the motor, lets see how the rest works. So far we dont know, its all conjecture and one cannot state one way or the other.

4. Bluesky1

Bluesky1 Rookie

Sep 5, 2020
    Just picked my car up on Friday and washed it... Looks much better in person and the sound is incredible even shifting at only 6500 rpm. You hear the car coming and know it is something special. I can't wait until I hit the 500 mile mark and get to shift at 8600 rpm. Image Unavailable, Please Login

JBsC8, VAF84, Phil~ and 11 others like this.
  5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    c8 techs are suggesting 2000 mile breakin for the trans.

k wright likes this.
  6. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I will, again, point out that YOU are the one that made all the negative claims about the Camaro ZL1 1LE..."it wouldn't this, it couldn't do that, etc". Now you're doing the same thing on the Z06...with ZERO real time information...
    Which generation GT3 can a V6 Exige run a similar lap time to????? Sorry, I don't buy that a stock Exige V6 can even stiff a GT3 time.
    Again, BIG speed cost BIG money (and BIG time). You know this. We all know this. Expecting a BIG speed car to be remotely economical on consumables (and time spent on maintenance) is beyond belief to me, at least.

sailfly likes this.
  7. Bluesky1

Bluesky1 Rookie

Sep 5, 2020
    Last I read break in was 500 for max red line and 1500 for track use, but you may have more up to date info. I won't track mine until I track one at Spring Mountain, and I heard they are booked out for a while. I need to give them a call.

VAF84 likes this.
  8. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    THAT is perfect!!!

The 1500 mile break in is for the DCT, the engine break in is 500

JBsC8, VAF84 and Edward 96GTS like this.
  9. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I absolutely believe his exige keeps up with whatever he says it does. Box has been a highly trusted source of info here for a long time. Completely reliable.

Besides why shouldnt it keep up? Its 430 hp and 2500 lbs is better than a 500 hp and 3200 lbs gt3.

Boomhauer likes this.
  10. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I don't think we're talking about an Exige Cup 430....to my knowledge, the car was not street legal in the U.S. I'll stand by my assertion that any Exige that is legal for the street (U.S.) from the factory will not be able to hang with a GT3.
    My only issue with Box is his incessant weight obsession, holding Lotus up as the ONLY legitimate street/track car, and his stating things that are simply his OPINION, such as "Ferraris melt on the track", "McLarens can only do 3 laps...". How about starting these pronouncements with "In my opinion" rather than speaking as if what he is saying is FACT.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Yes I have stated multiple times my car goes to the track on a trailer, it is not nor was it ever street legal in the USA.
    Ill go into specifics so there is no confusion of details. The reason the exige v6 line was not street legal in USA is because when it came out, lotususes dot exemption for not having thorax air bags had expired and sales of the whole elige line had resultingly stopped in the USA, in fact I have one of the last 2011 elises sold. otherwise from an emission lights etc perspective an exige v6 might have been sold in USA.

The exige v6 as you know was legal for road in other countries having the requite emissions lights etc, many with stricter rules than here. So my car is based on a road car but in any event was never going to be street legal not least because it has a full cage, for another no airbags, fire system plus modified further with springs and shocks that would not really work on most streets although I have seen street caymans with similar suspension.
    However unlike "pure race cars" my exige is in fact at its core a turn key street car with the requisite reliable/durable stock powertrains brakes etc.
    It is then what's known as a track car.

Any street legal exige sold in the USA, was prior to 2011 and A 4CYL CAR, same tub as mine, slightly narrower track, a bit shorter and a somewhat different animal. This has always been clear and Ive stated such in multiple posts, plus anyine who knows these cars, read car mags knows it was never street legal in the USA. same as we read magazines and know what the new alpine a110 is and the Gr yaris which we dont get here. in the case of the A100 and yaris its not that they couldn't meet our standards so mush as cost of compliance, the he legal requirement to stock parts is not warranted by the expected volume/business case..
    What any v6 variant of exige is, an elige tub, with longer a arms, more wheel and tires and an evora S (us legal)rear subframe power plant grafted on. Interestingly Hennessy made a 1000 hp car on an elige tub, just to give an idea how good strong and stiff these cars are.

once again, this is not a road legal car in the USA, I also stress it is not a race car either, its a very mildly moded road car into a track car, cage fire system, and eventually shocks and springs with track pads. As such it is turn key reliable as any road car and compared to others has run for years needing no wheel bearings or blown bits here and there replaced. In fact the brake rotors runing track pads, cobalt xr4s lasted 4 years.

Any post here is opinion, some of our opinions are based on experience and direct observation. You have asked me my experince and I have stated it in some detail, you and others are then free to judge what i'm saying based on that. Other opinions we read here seem based more on magazine impressions and little or no experience on track. You appear to me to be reading and interpreting what 1 lap of a magazine extrapolated to in terms of a day on track, is an opinion and not actually in my imo an informed opinion based on what I know is required to really ruin on track. Not saying the cars cant do it, just saying so far we do not know.

My statements, as I am at pains to stress and answer you, are based on my direct observation and experience on track, in the enviroment I state running in and against other cars that are the topic of conversation(porche ferrari mclaren BMW Lotus Alfa Corvette camnaro and a few others)..

Before you jump in and say my car is not street legal so not a fair comparsion etc, no its not, I also run slicks, but some guys trailer theur evtets and porches putting slicks on them for track.

In any event here we are discussing the narrow range of street cars, street legal that are driven to the track. In my direct experience and observation of new cars you can buy today feb 2023, the ones that actually work on track in a serious manner are the zl1 1lt, and porche Gt3s and gt4s. Can other street legal cars be modified to work on track, yes and no. In the case of corvettes C7's there are other posters here who have tried and given up because too many things went wrong, from oiling to cooling to brakes to wheel bearings etc, the cost of getting there meant getting a Gt3 was a far better less frustrating and less expensive option. People like spidey have said they had similar problems with their porches.

If you spend a lot of time on track, you see a lot of porches cause mostly they work better out the box than the others, not least because the Gt series is developed to do so and there is an enthusiastic owner base who use them as designed.

So the question I have been raising here, and it is a question not an opinion, but a very valid question for those of us who seriously go to the track with regularity is can a z06 hack it on track to the same degree as a Gt4rs. Yes the vette may be "faster" for a few laps, that is established, hack it means the following.
    The ability to run 9/10th or 10/10ths all day for two days on one set of tires and brake pads, will rotors last a season and will that car need not much more than regular fluid changes. All day imo means 30-40 ,mins 4-5x per day. Of cars you can buy new today I know a the 1lt camaro can do that, i know Gt3s can do that as can Gt4s, from what I've seen of corvettes the only one that came close in the c7 range was the gs and even then.

As for ferraris and Maclrens i stand by what I've said. Over in the 296 section there is a poster who has been running hsi 458 extensively on track., hes changed a number of things to make it work, including going to iron rotors. The reason people dont run these cars on track more esp out the box is not the purchase price so much as the cost to make them run even when modded, and at that point youre still not really any quicker than a far less expensive and less complex to run Gt3. Wealthy people tend to get wealthy by being smart and respecting money, thats why unless its a particular lets see live the dream affectation they dont run ferraris as track car, or maclrens. Its a lesson i have learned myself the hard way.

the lambo STO may be different, I dont know, havent seen one or seen one run.

Do people run a lot of Ferraris at ferrari club events, yes but thats different fun day in the park. If its open track and not marque specific marque youre very unilkely to see any exoityc show up cause peopel who really track run what works. Now a few who seriously run track may for aday bring their exotic just to play, but its not their regular run on track car.

once again I am differentiating between road cars cool as the may be, fast as they may be for a very few laps, ferraris Mclarens most poroches, all BMWs(exept maybe a M2) astons etc and the few cars that are that sweetspot of sout the box street legal useable drive to the track actual track cars. the question is the z06 one of those or not quite. teh caro says it can be, prior vettes say maybe not.

il go one step further, there are some car with very minor mods which can work great on track and still nicely on street, mustang Gts come to mind. So if all a z06 needs is say iron rotors and few bits thats fine. If tires last only 1/2 a day or even only a day, if it eats wheel bearings, if iif if, then its not fine. Fact is we do not know, and no magazine 1 lap test comes close to telling us. We'lls ee shortly maybe by this suymemr when some of these cars start showing up and runnign in earnest. If those cars are being driven at say the Glenn (or Vir for others) to name two big tracks by owners who are runing serious times consistently then we'll ask the owners what those cars consume and need to run.
    If we hardley see a z06 even 3 years from now, or they just go oput fpor a few fast laps and pit in, then we'll know too. Even those with unlimited means run what works.

on this entire site I know of only one person who has posted about really running a street ferrari on track(not De club stuff) and that car has a lot of mods to work.

So yes I'm am expressing opinion, but its opinion based on experience on track, and experience on track in the marques mentioned coupled with observation of those cars while running against them on track all day for days on end, plus crucialy what owners who run fast have told me when asked. To me thats far more valid and relevant than some journo running 3 or 4 laps on fresh toires and pads for a single show me time.

now if you dont go to the track, or just occasionally do for some casual de fun, my opinion is of no relevance to your use a cycle and you will have other criteria, possibly what the car "can" do in a magazibne test is one of those, it certainly helps sell cars for road uae.. Same as 0-60 means zero to me, but to others it is important, even i see drag races between new z06s and <Mclkarens and think nuts, pointless. on a doge charger it is relevant.

Top gear did a test of a tesla model 3 against the new BMW M3. They said the telsa was faster everywhere including around their track, and it did indeed lap fatser in that test. While i dont think either of those cars is good for track, Ill be no one here thinks that tesla is any match for the M3 after 4 laps, assuming the tesla is not already in limp mode. Thats really the point about the relevance of these magazine tests

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Over on the corvette forum where they seem to track daily production seems like they're maybe hitting a max of 25 z06s per day. have no idea whether that's sustainable or increasable. But it implies 5k z06s per year.

How big are those order lists at the dealers? 10-15K cars?
    Seems like a 2-3 year wait.
    Also depends on dealer allocation.

k wright and TheMayor like this.
  13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    How many will wait that long? Not many. They would be better trying to get out as many as they can now before demand dries up. That might be what you're seeing.

Also "market adjustments" are scaring people off. That nonsense has to stop. The car is worth $130K, not $200K.

k wright and VAF84 like this.
  14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Yeah Market adjustments are an illness at the moment.
    Over at porche they want 75K over for a GT4rs and thats dealer spec car loaded with all sorts of frippery options.

here's the difference, you can pout your name on a list for a z06 and wait, maybe 2 years and buy the car at MSRP. Over at porche there is no way to put your name ona list, because each dealer is essentially ordering the cars and then charging the extra, they dont want names on list at msrp even if its a few years out.

Its interesting because proche will try steer one into the mechanically similar cayaman R, so its not as though there are production issues so much as production mix. Porche USA has been of no help, Id say they're afraid of the dealers, not the other way around. Doubly egregious when we see people offering order slots for things like Gt3 Rs at $225k over. Thats the type of Bs you used to see at ferrari before they realized they had competition and got serious on brand management., maybe porche germany is oblivious or they just don't care, thye certainly have product mix wrong. Once again we see that the population of actual buyers for hard core less gt cars is bigger than manufactures assumed, or flippers have such a lock on the market that they control the limited supply. the best way to get rid of flippers, increase supply. Thats effectively what happened to the 911R speculation when they brought out the Gt3 touring.

back to the z06. if they are going to make 4-5k cars per year, yes by end of 25 model year there will probably be no wait. Number of factors in that. how many z06 orders are real or duplicates, once supply catches up the flippers are out and youre into real customers. Also as you poitn out a numbe rof buyers will simply move on. Even in vette land the e-rey will probably work better for many, and then when the zr1 announced many of those gotta have the fastest vette guys will either cancel their z06 orders, or those who have a car already will be selling to take delivery of the zr1.

Were also at peak retirement now, and those 65=yo are probably 90% of vette buyers, soa few years from now the pool of retirees lookign for anew vette may have shrunk somewhat. Plus C8s will be really more common than now and used stingrays on market suppressing the overall c8 gotta have the latest shiney toy desire.

ive seen this movie before when the c4 Zr1 came out, it was massive leap in performance and first year orders were insane, as were markups. By year 3 they were improving the car and sales were headed towards minimal. The regular C4 was improving to, and the price delta didnt make enough sense beyond the initial excitement.

i think tis possible that the c8 z06 is going to get stuck between not as fast as the zr1, and way more expensive than the stinrey which works for most, throw the less expensive more comfy faster accelerating e-rey into the equation and were abasically seeing peak z06 demand now. Hope so, Im looking forwards to mine in a year or two.,

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This year is different in that they have introduced the Eray. And I think GM would rather make these than Z06's for several reasons (one I believe is it has higher margins than the Z06). So when they start Eray production I'm guessing Z06 models will be more and more difficult to get. There's still a lot of basic Stingray orders out there and they haven't touched international yet.

Good news if you work at Bowling Green. Not so great for Z06 supplies. So they may be forcing more of them now into production knowing Erays will replace them later this year.

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

maybe, or maybe regular singrey production drops off as the cars become common as dirt ad Gm upps the mix of special models. I see multiple stingrey every time I drive somewhere in Fl. Agreed Gm would rather sell the e-rey. Other than the electrics and wider bodywork its essentially the same car as a stingrey and so not as hard to produce in bigger volumes plus as you say more profitable.

My thoughts are the vette team came out with the z06 before the other high end variants to give this specialized car the opportunity to grab some serious volume. The C6 z06 came out towards the end, sold decently until the zr1 came along and then everyone (other than a few track people) wanted that one. The same wil apply with the C8, but here we have the z06 first so a lot of orders booked, thereby justifying the costs of the track style car,

Interesting, between Gt3 and Gt4 variants porche must be selling 6-7k units per year, and it seems if they could produce theyll sell 10k units. Add to that 5k z06s.
    How vast is the track focussed market below $200k, seems much bigger than the manufactures assumed. or a great car always finds a buyer.

it will be interesting, when the elise and 4c both came out first year sales were superlative, then when most of pent up demand was satisfied by ear 2 and the relaity of living with these cars became more apparent, sales slid fast. the z06 is by definition ore of an all rounder, but I think for pretty much every road car user the e-rey and zr1 are going to overshadow it one way or the other. Im what you might call speculating wishfully.

17. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #1717 jimmyb, Feb 16, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    ^^^
    Reality is I'm not sure when C8 Stingrays will ever become "common as dirt". Even from the big Corvette dealers, it's a year wait to get a Stingray. Here in Charlotte, a friend of mine got on the dealer list in September 2021...he JUST got his allocation and his order goes in this month. Assuming no plant shutdowns, tornadoes, etc...he'll have his car in 2 months. This is a top 20 Corvette dealer we're talking about and he will have waited 18 months...Now you have Z06 production cutting into the number of Stingrays that can be built. And 6-7 months from now, you're going to have eRays AND Z06's AND Stingrays coming out of the same plant.
    One thing's for sure...anyone waiting for the "deal" on a Stingray is going to have a long wait, IMO.

18. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^
    Well, I jinxed my friend...
    Bowling Green Assembly will be shut down all next week (Feb. 20 - 24) due to "parts shortages".

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #1719 boxerman, Feb 17, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2023

Yeah I saw they shut down.
    I saw a low mileage Stingrey on Bat not going above I think 75K. The market is coming into balance.
    Where I live you literally see vettes everywhere, I'm going to say on par with mustangs, and those are really common. No one young is driving these vettes (wonder what the demographics are). We know a lot of people took early retirement during the pandemic, there was a retirement bulge, and as with outboards there was a surge in demand. Thats its abating now.
    Lots of things still backordered, like a mercury outboard is a 1 year wait still.
    However the market for 25-30k vettes per year is only so large and unless the world has permanently changed its going to slow. By 2025 there will literally be 100-150k stingrays out there, thats a lot of cars, and there will be more thana few hitting the used market.

As with housing nothing stays in the stratosphere forever. GM imo is being really smart releasing more upscale variants, It keeps excitement and while e-rey, zr1, z06 will not each reach stingrey numbers, I can foresee stingrey sales slowing to 10k units per year and the other 3 variants taking up the slack.
    Were going to get to a point where some portion of those those 100+k stingrays are hitting the used market while production of new continues.

I dont see the economy tanking, just a natural saturation of supply to balance. Always happens although with the c8 natural demand will be more than prior vettes simply because its so good.

In my case if its 3 years out, that's ok because I assume by then they will have honed the car the little more based on customer experience. Im not looking for a car to sell, rather one to keep. by then ill be in my early 60s. i could foresee selling my z06 for newer vette because the last of the c8 z06s will be a real lightweight or a few years later the c9 will be better maybe, or maybe it will be hybrid and less desirable to me.

From observation at the track, and also with motorcycles it seems that under optimal circumstances(luck) one might be able to maintain enough sharpness and reflexes to still maintain pace on track into ones 70's. I saw one guy who was 77 who really quick and he stopped coming a few years back. Most though seem to start droppign out mid to late 60s.. Seen people early 80s show up and they really should not have still been there.

My thoughts, by the time my z06 is delivered ill be tiring more of loading the track (exige) car on trailer, loading the truck with wheels tires tools etc. Maybe hopefully ill still have a few years left in that. The z06 In the interim I can drive to some tracks and get the feel of it, so when I'm done with the pure track car (exige) the z06 and I will be bonded and honed to keep going. Or maybe out the box the z06 will be much quicker and so much easier to deal with that it becomes the track ca and the exige goes to retirement.

Either way I think the z06 is going to be my last new fast/trackable ice car, except maybe if the c9 is so much better. I can see buying maybe some fast pure road cars still in ice and electric(love the looks of the electric charger) and i'm planning of building some old school component cars, ie a 289 cobra and a stratos for road enjoyment.

Frankly besides the z06 and a Gt3 or Gt4rs(which are unobtanium) I cant think of any new factory car thats really compelling, except maybe the new gordon murry t33 and t50 and those are 4-5mill a piece. I really like the 296 but thats a lot of scratch and not really trackable at all, plus 10 years from now can you imagine the maintenance issues with old batteries etc. I cant see spending 400k just for road cursing, and in the USa or Europe if you're ruining one of these cars on road at best its 7/10ths. MC20 is nice, its an italian z06, so maybe if one didnt mind the somewhat experimental turbo v6.

For road I find with age and location tastes changing. I drove my BBI all of 3x last year. The elise which I still really love, nearly every time there was a weekday drive to do(backroads in Ct, and it takes 20 mins to get anywhere like shops or restaurant) I took the m3, whereas 10 years ago it was the other way around and I barely used the m3. For weekend sunday runs the elise works great and on those Ct backroads simply nothing faster because you can place, pivot and brake that car so well, so many options. This year I think I'm going to track the elise on some smaller tracks like lrp which is 45 mins away cause I can drive to them in that car and momentum on track is important, the0 elsie is my metronome, good honing for the exige.

In Fl its big roads few real corners other than onramps, My 280hp Gulia feels like more than enough and fully sporty, how fast is one going down the road 100?, is 0-60 in 5 secs and superb 7 gear turbo midrange more than enough. Add to that great handling and brakes i simply have not seen road that will tax the full cornering braking of the gulia.. So yes a z06 will be awesome overkill and work great on road in Fl, its size will fit, the ac works, its plug and play, plus can drive to the occasional track day at say daytona where its hp and speed can be put to use. And for sure some summers Ill take it to the glenn because at the very least we gotta see what it will do there, could even probably drive to vir, probably hopefully its so good that it becomes the car for track too.

We talk sometimes about a CT5 blackwing, and while that car is great and cool to own, I don't know what I'd use it for, and thats the thing, moderns are so good and some so fast that while they are cool machines to own, on road mostly you're just holding back and occasionally mashing the throttle.

Thats why I think we see so many v8 mustangs and stingrays in Fl. They look and sound great, have lots of go, but are still comfy and just work as everyday type cars, plus their price is right. I could see getting a zl1 convertible in stick cause thats an awesome and ridiculously overkill in road car, and 20 years from now of all the series muscle cars thats going to be the one to have "collected" or kept. There's no shortage of hellcats(well be buying low mileage ones on bat decades from now), or mustangs, but a zl1 convertible stick, that's like an old 425 hemi charger convertible stick.

South Florida is full of lambos esp hurricanes, our small town even has a few. Looks and sounds awesome, for 250k not even excessively expensive, but as road and a track car a z06 is going to be better and more useful, I think.

20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    FWIW I'm being offered over on my stingray convertible by my dealer all the time.

boxerman likes this.
  21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Found this.
    "
    A GM spokesperson told Motor1, "We had previously shared with dealers and the public that we had accepted enough Z06 orders to fill the number of Z06 production slots we had for calendar year 2022, so we stopped elevating dealer orders to accepted orders that the plant would build. Now we are saying we’re going to accept more dealer orders to continue filling the pipeline of Z06 production through the end of model year 2023."

We don't have any details to explain any of this nor put it in context. GM didn't reveal its initial production estimate, and it hasn't said how many orders it will add to the previous mysterious number. It was thought GM's conservative production window had to do with a supply constraint, but even that's not clear. We don't know how many reservations there are, either, although a thread at Mid-Engined Corvette Forum lists more than 100 dealers and suggests just eight of them have easily more than 6,000 reservations combined. One dealer would only say its reservation list was "out to 2025."

GM built 39,940 of the C7 Z06 from 2014 to 2019, averaging a touch under 8,000 units per year. Dealers know this, so for one to say they're booked until 2025, the order rolls must be relatively staggering. There's no reason for dealers to be in a hurry to get cars built, either, with some charging anywhere from $35,000 to $100,000 over the base $106,395 MSRP per vehicle according to posters."

Im going to "speculate" that total order lists at all dealers must be something like 15K z06s. A number of these orders are duplicates so may not materialize, and some dealers will be open to booking more orders. What's clear is that if you are a dealer for z06s or Gt4Rs you're going to make a lot more $ selling 5 cars at 50k over list than 20 cars at list. So many dealers are not complaining about the current situation and have an interest in maintaining waits.

As Gm averaged 8k units of z06 on the c7, (Im assuming some years were higher too) then assuming they planned on the same volume for the c8 version(maybe thats not possible) it makes sense that if you're already on a list, 2 years out is a reasonable estimate. Now some dealers made longer lists and allocations vary, so some will deliver sooner and others later. But the volume dealers probably have a good idea of how many cars they'll get per year and what their lists look like as a result.

Stingrey wait times are interesting. Possibly GM has an interest in selling E-reys z06s and zr1 over a stingrey due to margins per unit. The margin per unit on these upscale variants should be greater, and shifting production profiles to keep stingrey waits also protects the stingrey used market better. Possibly then stingrey waits may not diminish as Gm shift production mixes to the higher margin variants and all waits balance out to 6-18 months..

22. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This is a silly comparison as the Corvette Z06 is a naturally aspirated V8, the McLaren 765LT is a twin turbo V8 of course its ultimately faster, it has 2 freaking turbos and costs almost 3 times as much.
    This is good for fun sake or in their case you tube clicks but proves nothing.

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  24. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA