C8 Z06 | Page 72 | FerrariChat

C8 Z06

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by sainthoo, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #1776 jimmyb, Feb 25, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
    I agree 1oo%.
    GM should be allocating to dealers who have "RETAIL SOLD" orders and are selling at MSRP.
    My order was marked "RETAIL SOLD" on the sales order.
    Note the highlighted

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I don't see how GM can force the dealer to "pull it down". The car is owned by the dealer now. If GM really wants to stop this kind of stuff, they should confirm that the car is a SOLD unit, with the name and address of the buyer, before giving the dealer the allocation. At this point, we're not talking about a lot of cars so managing it would be simple.

The 6 month warranty thing does nothing to stop a dealer from doing this, it just puts a crimp in the "flipper" business.

boxerman likes this.
  3. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Supply and DEMAND >>> GM didn't anticipate this demand. (and the number of people willing to spend $175k on a Chevy) If they did they would have charged $50k more.
    That would have decreased demand and made them more profit. ;) :D ........ some lessons should have been learned from the Ford GT, first AND second gens.

energy88 likes this.
  4. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I think GM underpriced the C8 Stingray by at least $10K on it's introduction. So...clearly not wanting to make the same mistake twice, GM pushed the C8 Z06 pricing way past the Stingray, probably thinking they were flirting with price pushback by having the Z06 $40,000 higher than the Stingray. As it turns out, I think they got the Z06 pricing right for the long term viability of the car. Now if they can just BUILD them...

The above is MY opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

boxerman likes this.
  5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Good video.
    It would be interesting to see a replay against the z07 and a gt3 with paddles.
    the critiques, esp on the interior, a number of journalists have said The seat does not go low enough, and Ive yet to see a compliment on the squarcicle.

Put some Cf shells in this car, manual adjustment, that's going to be 80lbs savings rightt here. Get rid of some excess frippery, lest say another 80lbs.
    The right suspension option for track guys, ie z07 without ceramics, and we have something.

As the journalist said, this is a mechanical grip car, the z07 really does not have that much aero esp. at track cornering speeds.

let's have a z08 then, give it z07 springs and shocks, ap brakes with iron rotors, Cf shells, and loose another 100lbs elsewhere by eliminating worthless crap and now were really talkign. .

95spiderman and Thecadster like this.
  7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    VAF84 likes this.
  8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    People complain too much about the C8 steering wheel. F1 cars have them with flat tops. I have a feeling if Lotus did it they would drone on how great it is. I got used to the flat top wheel in about 10 minutes. I see why they did it. They didn't want the wheel blocking the front view. Would a circular wheel be better? Probably. But I think thou doth protest too much.

I do agree the 458 is probably Ferrari's high point. Of all the V8's built since 1999, it will probably become the most wanted classic as time goes by. It is, however, very expensive when it breaks and terribly out of date electronically if you want to use it as a daily driver, which you can in the Z06.

VAF84, werewolf, Wikdstrate and 2 others like this.
  9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Great video!
    What blue is that?? Gorgeous.
    458 Speciale is Ferrari’s finest modern non-Icona car IMO. Probably the greatest usable sports car ever made. The Porsche GT3 is probably the finest manual sports car in the world. For the Z06 to hang proudly in that company is an amazing feat.
    The Holy Trinity!

VAF84, boxerman and 95spiderman like this.
  10. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Well, this is the La Ferrari steering wheel that is almost EXACTLY the same as the wheel in the Vette.

No complaints about this wheel when the La Ferrari came out. o_O

Attached Files:

lambchop, Phil~, italiafan and 2 others like this.
  11. Bluesky1

Bluesky1 Rookie

Sep 5, 2020
    The steering wheel shape and the wall of buttons is way over blown. It's just people who either have no real seat time in the car or can't find anything else to critique.

Several cars have similar steering wheels. At least GM did the shape for a reason, it allows you to see the full display on the dash. These newer displays are much wider than on older cars. So the shape of the wheel mimics the shape of a display to give you better visibility if the display. In addition, it gets you better forward visibility.

As for the wall of buttons, I actually prefer it for two reasons. First off it makes the drivers cockpit feel wider at the expense of the passenger. Secondly, the two buttons I adjust the most are the temperature and the fan speed. Both those buttons have raised switches so it is easy to adjust them without even looking.

Both of these items took 10 minutes to get used to on my C8 and I actually prefer the Squircle steering wheel over the traditional round steering wheel. The same for the wall of buttons. I would not change them period.

italiafan and boxerman like this.
  12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    ALSO the latest Ford GT has a steering wheel almost the same as the C8.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The wall of buttons:

IMO, I wish they kept it what they did but not make "a wall". Its a bit odd when you have a passenger. It seems a bit claustrophobic. I do like the layout though as its easy to use without looking around. And I much prefer the actual buttons than going through menus on the touch screen. Everything is a compromise.

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think Tue critique of the square circle that I have read is even in the normal position that one is not particularly comfortable.

also some of us have the bad habbit of doing a senna with the wheel and moving our hands on it when cornering hard, the square does not work well with that.

as a general rule steering wheels have gotten really thick in cars, Alfa and Mclaren notably have human grip sized rims.

as to the wall of buttons I actually liked the effect of the wall. It created a driver intimacy with-a little bit of the feeling of a single seater, pretty neat imo.

As for seat height, that’s been enough of a critique even from USA mags that maybe it’s an issue. In general the Vette seats are built for us lard ass Americans and comfort. They’re big and heavy.

Imo seats is the best place to loose weight and complexity for track, cf shells please, z07 shocks and springs iron rotors and let’s call it a day.

for road use only, car seems pretty close to perfect.

15. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Re: The steering wheel...
    It's a Corvette so the press (especially the European press) has to whine about something. You guys are right...I don't recall ever reading anyone complaining about the LaFerrari steering wheel or the Ford GT's.:rolleyes:

PhilB, italiafan and Edward 96GTS like this.
  16. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    FWIW, (obviously isn't a deal breaker) I really haven't warmed up to the wheel. I understand the reasoning, but I think I'd prefer a traditional round wheel. The cascade of switches is a feature I like; it's reasonably intuitive and takes no time to get used to.

boxerman likes this.
  17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  19. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #1794 BJK, Mar 2, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    USMMA90 likes this.
  20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Undisclosed reserve price. 74K premium on msrp.
    I think there have been about 800 z06s built so far.
    By end 2024 that can be 10K units or more.

21. USMMA90

USMMA90 Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #1796 USMMA90, Mar 2, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    boxerman likes this.
  22. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I got some interesting news from my dealership yesterday; they are not delivering in the order deposits were placed, they're delivering based on specs.

I'm apparently 26th on they're list, and number 24 is currently being built and delivered shortly. Number 24 will be the third one delivered through them and they've had four allocations. I guess it's all about constraints.

I can't help but think they have had four cars allocated because they are strictly a MSRP dealership. They have a nicely spec'd c8 HTC on the showroom floor that someone couldn't take delivery of and they sold it to someone else at sticker. I'm surprised they didn't mark it up, given current market conditions.

I'm going in next week to spec & order mine and it's not gonna have a whole lot of options; maybe 2lt w/red calipers. My guess is the fewer frills, the sooner I'll see the car.

k wright, italiafan, TheMayor and 2 others like this.
  23. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Good strategy! You apparently recognize the difference between needs and wants.

VAF84 and JV's89 like this.
  24. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    So much so that I’m not sure if I’ll keep the car, or flip it after six months.:)