C8 Z06 | Page 79 | FerrariChat

C8 Z06

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by sainthoo, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Several years ago I leased a rather plain jane $35K Lexus sedan in Las Vegas and was SHOCKED at how great the dealer service and experience was. Its not the money. Its the company attitude towards customers.

boxerman and italiafan like this.
  2. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    So ... a car dealer munged-up a set of expensive wheels during a tire change :yawn: In other news, the sun will rise in the east tomorrow :rolleyes:

I've literally seen this a dozen times ... with dealers ranging from Porsche to Ferrari, Mercedes to Ford.

Once again, in my view ... anyone concluding this to be evidence that the Z06 (with cf wheels) is "not" a track car is just looking for reasons to support a foregone conclusion.

jackj45, jimmyb and PhilB like this.
  3. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    ???? o_O ....... what the F does a dealer damaging cf wheels on a tire machine have to do with whether or not a Z06 is a track car???? o_O o_O o_O

4. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think most dealers just farm out tire servicing entirely to a subcontractor or supplier.

werewolf likes this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Nothing. That’s his point.

werewolf likes this.
  6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I wish I could like Lexus.

7. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    exactly my point

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You know it’s funny but it was a really fine car that I never thought much about. If there was a totally generic car it would be Lexus.

good value but not memorable.

italiafan likes this.
  9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    TBH I have seen a Lexus coupe on the roads in recent years that actually looks pretty cool. But I have such a zero emotional response to Lexus I haven’t even been bothered to go to their website to look up what model it is. :D

VAF84 and TheMayor like this.
  10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

you know we go though this every week. Youre clearly mot a track person or have very limited experience on track. And thats fine, most everybody buying this car is doing so for the street and maybe an occasional track day.

I think the point you're missing here, is cf wheels like all Cf has a specific fragility to impact and side impact. Its why If Im not mistaken there is metal built into the outer part of the cf rim wheel to prevent catastrophic curb damage etc, the type of damage which on metal wheels is meerly cosmetic.

The nature upon which tires are removed and added to a rim is pretty hard on the edge of a wheel. CF wheels do not lend themselves to multiple tire changes, especially at a track where no one is going to be taking lots of extra time on precious wheels. Its why with very rare exceptions I cant think of nay Gt race car running Cf wheels. There are simple far better far more durable and for that matter lighter options for track.

What cf wheels do is add bling to a road car, and yes due to weigh some advantage in comparison to the usual factory wheels which are usually quite heavy(due to construction) and overbuilt for street. They're just impropriate for track use, other than a causal de day occasionally, which is what the current z06 appears to be so far.

Was just on the phone with a Vette racer, imsa etc. He's raced the C5-7, rates the c6 best. I asked his opinion on the C8, and he answers "it remains to be seen".

Boomhauer likes this.
  11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Lexus LC 500, coupe or convertible .......... (LFA V10 'supercar' 2010-'12 , 500 produced)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer, energy88 and italiafan like this.
  12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Apart from the grill I actually think that looks nice.

13. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Congratulations, you beat me to that post by 23 minutes!

BTW, there is a thread on here where a certain somebody bragged about flipping a Structural Blue one for $20K.

14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i remember that thread. is he still around?

15. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    BLAMPEE was last seen: May 1, 2021

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    This vid is 6 years old. He shows how to do it on 3 or 4 different machines. It's not rocket science :rolleyes: ..... ALWAYS USE PROTECTION! :p

jimmyb likes this.
  17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Lexus LC 500 looks great by japanese standards, and you can still get a v8. the question is for the money why would you get that car given the alternatives.
    To me lexus is an old persons car, they're a little too refined, floaty etc. One or two fast sedans they made, I always thought yeah but a BMW is simply better.
    Kinda like the current acura NSX, not standout, good performing sorta, but why get one.

I guess with a lexus you get reliability, and the lexus dealership experience, even still Id take my chances with a used Bentley, or even better.a vertible vette.

VAF84 likes this.
  18. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Same conclusion I arrived at. Just way too many other good options for a sporty vehicle at similar price points. Lexus as a daily driver is a different story.

Face76 likes this.
  19. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Frankly, I am getting tired of all this hand wringing that goes on about this car. The dealer that messed up his wheels needs to train their people better since the OEM tires somehow got fitted to the wheels without incident. And on the C8 specific forum, they're calling for Chevrolet to replace the wheels under warranty (and GM did:rolleyes:) that the dealer screwed up...
    As for "Speed Phenom", his "click bait" title on this ($20,000 wheels...) is total BS. The wheels aren't $20K a set at replacement cost. And seriously...he can't figure out where to go to get his tires mounted???
    The LAST place I would buy tires/have them mounted is a car dealer...

20. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #1970 werewolf, May 3, 2023
    Last edited: May 3, 2023
    THANK YOU. You have to be careful, with expensive wheels. Imagine that.

It's not rocket science ... agreed. And it doesn't "prevent" the Z06 from being a track car (my point from earlier).

jimmyb likes this.
  21. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #1971 werewolf, May 3, 2023
    Last edited: May 3, 2023
    YES, we go through this ALL the time. ALL you ever post, are paragraphs upon paragraphs upon paragraphs of why this car or that car is not a good "track car":rolleyes:

In my view, it is YOU who are clearly NOT a serious "track person". YOU are the one always looking for reasons and excuses for why this car or that car is not a good "track car". We know, we know ... lighter-weight cars are easier on brakes and tires. We get it! Doesn't mean you can't have some serious fun in a car that weighs a hundred pounds more than another, or a car that "only" lasts one day (instead of 2~3) on a set of race tires, or a car that needs a bit more care in protecting expensive wheels.

A serious "track person" would be an enthusiast who finds a way to explore, enjoy and optimize just about any car he finds himself in ... instead of always complaining. But maybe that's just me. I've had plenty of track time, in a variety of different cars ... light to heavy, cheap to expensive. Loved every minute.

Just my perspective, take it for what it's worth.

22. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    What service writer/manager hands a set of $12k wheels to "some" guy and says: "Here, mount these new tires and balance them" without, at a minimum, saying: "By the way, those are carbon fiber and costs $12k a set so PAY ATTENTION"
    If a dealership can't mount a set of tires without doing damage to the wheel (regardless of the material), that should raise big concerns.

23. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    if i was in the middle of texas or nevada doing multiple track days then im probably at the mercy of some local tire shop or dealership. but in a major city i would take the wheels to a ferrari or porsche dealership.

24. F12finally

F12finally Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2020
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Robinson
  25. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    as has been said many times, for multiple track days, then forged wheels and steel brakes. No brainer, No argument. ;)

werewolf, Edward 96GTS and boxerman like this.