Cabin evaporator box - Help! | FerrariChat

Cabin evaporator box - Help!

Discussion in '308/328' started by BLACK HORSE, Sep 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hello everyone... I need some input on how to fix this problem which I've encountered this past weekend. I removed my cabin evaporator box from my 1985 308 GTS QV in order to replace the old SPAL blower unit with a new updated one. So after removing the fan housing from under the dash, I disassembled the housing and the entire lift side of the ABS housing just disintegrated. I think why Ferrari used ABS vs metal, is because of the housing can potentially build up condensation on the outside of the housing. Has anyone ran into the same problem????

Also this side of the evaporator box probably gets the coldest temperature due to the input/output of the evaporator which I'm thinking its the root cause of the failure of the ABS material. I already contacted all the part houses for a replacement with zero luck... No dice!!!! So maybe my only option is to have fabricated in 3D printing (ABS) material but again not sure how this material will hold up... and the biggest problem is, I don't have the box drawn up in 3D format to have it printed!

Any suggestions, or ideas is much appreciated.

Rob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Rob have tried sourcing this air box somewhere else? I’m sure some places should have a used one of this box.

3. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    NOPE Mike.... I called around, no one has one for sale... Apparently this is a common problem with these evaporator casings which they all informed me... Running out of options!

4. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Saabguy likes this.
  5. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Nice weekend project making your own box in glass fiber. You need to make a mold of the old one either in glass fiber or gypsum first and then you can cast your own. Not that difficult as it sounds. I have made countless of glass fiber pieces for my F-cars and it is very rewarding.

Best, Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pero, Saabguy, waymar and 1 other person like this.
  6. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Conclusion - So here's my update regarding my broken evaporator box... weeks after posting this thread and got the courage in learning how to fiberglass a new one, I got the supplies from Tap Plastics and make a mold using closed foam. Once the new box was made and taken out of the mold, it came out great. I then had to make a new mounting steel plate to support the new blower fan unit, at the same time support the fiberglass housing from being damaged over time. Then over the Thanksgiving weekend I was able to reassembled a new evaporator unit. I wanted to give thanks to ZOOOMZ (Tim) for his support and help on the new filter design.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pero, Brian A and thorn like this.
  7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Nice work and the filter looks more prof than the original...Well done and thanks for sharing.

Best, Peter

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Nice Job! If I tried that the only thing that would have been made is a mess!

9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Mine never had a filter. Since it is so inaccessible it seems like it might be better to leave it out and just let the dust swirl through the system. That and the filter might get soggy from condensation.

10. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Brian A - I think your system probably did have a foam filter but that it degraded over time and all blew into the passenger compartment. I found just barely any trace of a filter in mine. And I believe that the purpose of the filter is to get "soggy". I think it's job it to catch any condensation drops and have them drop to the drain the unit instead of getting blown out the vents.

Those are my guesses. I'm not an expert but I do know a guy who knows a guy who wrote a book on classic car air conditioning.

11. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Correct. They all had filters originally but most are disintegrated and long gone.

Below is my latest simple solution.

Best, Peter

Attached Files:

Pero likes this.
  12. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Humm, I did have tiny bits of foam on the edges. I mistook it for foam to seal around the evaporator.

Ha!

13. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    The guy who knows the guy who wrote a book on classic car air conditioning asked the guy who wrote the book about the foam. The guy who knows the guy learned that at least vintage BMWs do not have any foam to catch "evaporator spittle" and only have thin foam strips to better seal around the evaporator core itself.

:D

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have done the same on a few and I agree, you did a good job. Those are made by a subcontractor and are pretty cheaply built. No one really expected them to be around this long. It wouldn't be so bad but they are made with the "use it once and throw it away" mentality. The TR A/C box is glued together and needs to be cut apart to fix anything.

MFlanagan and BLACK HORSE like this.