Cadillac CTS-V Destroys Them All At N-Ring With A 7:59! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Cadillac CTS-V Destroys Them All At N-Ring With A 7:59!

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by b-mak, May 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Easy. Lies....

2. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Wow. You repeatedly use very strong words to defame the GTR. I certainly hope you're right. That is a VERY strong statement.

3. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    LOL. Kudos.

BTW, I have to hang my head in shame... while being an utter mental giant, and quite the orator, my spelling suffers due to being raised in the PC generation with spell check, and hurriedly posting during work. ;)

4. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona

You misunderstood the 2nd part of my post there little buddy. "See how senseless this kinda arguing is?"

I don't see what your so upset about anyway. Seems kinda silly to me personally.

5. NSXER

NSXER Formula 3

Jan 4, 2004
    Kansas
    Good question! The ring is a very high speed course but also puts a huge task on handling. If you notice all the track comparisons in the magazines against the Z06.....911 turbo... these cars were beat in the corners. The GT-R carried more speed through the corners.
    Yes, the CGT would probably pull hard on the GT-R heading down the straights but in the bigger sweepers and the tighter corners the GT-R would slowly reel it in. The ring is full of these types of corners. 4 wheel drive with active handling / power distribution is an amazing thing. Also, do not forget about the driver!

Brian

6. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    I think the GTR is the car that separates the true car enthusiasts and the "posers". One may not like the styling... or the brand... but there is NO denying the GTR is pretty freaking monstrous. 997 TT performance for half the price and more usability.

7. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    How did a thread about the cts v turn into a nissan thread?

8. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I don't take owners' personal times as valid arguments. They're not exactly the most reliable sources, nor are they more than likely the same type of drivers used by magazines.

There is no maybe. The CTS-V will either come with regular seats or Recaro-made seats. The CTS-V we're talking about has Sparcos. End of the story, there.
    My apologies then, towards you. I've had to repeatedly show different people on other forums already they aren't stock seats, and you just weren't the first to accuse me of PShoping it. :eek:

9. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate

The GTR was driven by Car and Driver. The viper is owned by JH and the car was given to him 2 days before this event. These cars were both driven by experianced drivers. The viper had headers exhaust and a filter, no magical equipment there. Something doesnt add up to the GTR, I like the car its neat but it doesnt make sense that this car runs a 7.28.

10. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    I would say that pushing a Viper ACR to it's limits on the 'NRing is probably a terrifying experience even for the prodessional driver, hence the cars that are friendlier to drive will be faster.

11. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Why? Its basically a race car made for the road. Think a street legal comp coupe only more horse.

How many tight turns does the ring have. It has alot of times where the pedals to the floor and the CGT would simply walk away from it HARD. I just dont belive the GTR's time, not because I dont like the car its just not feesable.

12. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Well how else can a 480 hp 3800# car match a CGT?

Easy....lie about everything lol!

13. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    That's a good position to take. If you don't understand something point at it and yell fake or liar.

14. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    pray tell, what it is that we are not understanding? Since you understand why it is so much faster, and where it is faster... tell us what is so remarkable that makes it corner that much faster then a car 4/5ths it's weight, and 120 additional hp with zero lag time. I'm looking forward to this explanation! :)

15. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Fanboy's don't have an explanation!

16. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    LOL,

17. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Well, for one, it doesn't have 120 less horsepower. It's actually around 50-60Hp less according to dynos being done with customer GT-Rs in Japan.

18. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells

Or claim the world to be flat, call it a 'Witch' and push for Creationism to be taught in public schools. :shrug:

19. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    The dyno done by Edmunds.com both @ wheels, and @hub dyno results showed power estimated to be between 500-510 hp; which is still 100 hp down on the CGT, while the weight is also around 700 lbs up on the CGT.

So estimating that you are right that it is 50-60 hp less then the CGT, it is still 700 lbs heavier.... to very FAT people, or about the size of a Zeebra... fatter, with more frontal area then the CGT.... unless customer cars are being weighed in at 2900 lbs now?

still waiting for somebody who knows how and why the GTR is 7:29 fast; since I'm inept, and apparently think the world is flat.

20. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    ^ like you, I have absolutely no explaination as to how a GT-R can do sub-7:30 on Nurburgring. It's damn near physically impossible this day and age - unless all other manufacturers are really so far behind Nissan technologically. Given the contact patch of the tires, horsepower and the weight of the vehicle, the GT-R is defying centripetal force and gravity. I think the electronic co-driver in the GT-R has a large part to do with consistently allowing the driver to explore the limits of grip and instantaneous send the proper torque to 4 wheels independently. Technology in the Nissan is berserk, it makes no sense. Seems as if Nissan engineers figured out a way to creats a better chasis & handling than Porsche, better AWD than Audi, better performance electronic than Ferrari, better power delivery than Lamborghini and better value performance than Corvette. At least the car still looks like a robot and it weights more than a M5. GT-R has been known to do impossible feats like this time and again since the R32 GT-R days, I suppose we really shouldn't be surprised anymore.

Oh wait, this is still the Cadillac thread. Good job GM, go out there and kick some ass.

21. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hey, I wouldn't mind one too, but I'm sure the specs behind the GT-R are far greater than what Nissan is saying. They have to be.

And apparently, a dyno test earlier in the year said the GT-R is producing 575Bhp at the flywheel.

22. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Nissan claimed the R34 GTR ran 7:59 on NS, but Sport Auto couldn't manage anywhere near that... I believe it was 25 seconds off, which was still a very fast, and respectable time.... but nowhere near Nissan's claims.

I thought I was a "flat earth" guy.... a "heliocentric is the only way" guy.... a "there was no Moon landing" guy....

but you GTR fanboy's aren't coming to the plate, and explaining why it is that we are wrong, and you are right ;)

I'm still waiting...

For independent tests, and cars in customer hands ;)

23. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    In 1997 "Autocar" magazine ran a 7:59 in the *R33* GTR. These cars had an underrated 280 horsepower and weighed in around 3,400 pounds. This was a *fully independent* test. I would imagine that the R34 would have been able to at least match its performance, but that is debatable.

But for a ~300 horsepower 3,400 pound car to run a 7:59 is pretty damn impressive, especially for 1997. I don't understand why it would be so difficult for one to fathom a company coming back 11 years later with a couple hundred more horsepower, a little more weight, and a decade's worth of new technology and achieving a lap time under 7:30.

The Carrera GT not getting a better time doesn't mean anything. The Carrera GT was not designed to tackle that track. That's not what the car was setup for, and that was not the goal of building the Carrera GT.

24. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Since I don't camp out on this site all day, I must answer your question a few hours later...

Where did I say I understood how it did it? I just was questioning the logic of calling it fake, and that Nissan is out right lying which is pretty ballsy if you ask me. There have been a couple of haters that have given repeated lashings about the car simply because it is not understood. I've seen the 7:38 video.. it was damn impressive. Do I understand how its done? Nope, but I don't exactly understand how an airplane flies, or how other technological feats are accomplished. I just accept that they do UNLESS PROVEN OTHERWISE. One private race that all you guys love to point out is laughable. There have been at least 10 other documented tests to prove that this car is faster than it is supposed to be, but ONE private race is all the proof you need. lol

25. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The video is up in the link boys. Man that thing can MOVE! Those tires sure were singing.