Cali lap times at Vairano | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cali lap times at Vairano

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by MalibuGuy, May 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omniman

omniman Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2008
    Florida/Michigan
    Full Name:
    James L.
    I really believe that the Cali performs so well because of the new gear box. The dual clutch is absolutely a game changer for Ferrari. Watch what a difference it makes on the 458. But on the Cali, with the lesser HP, it creates a top shelf performer, rivaling some of the best. I have driven this car a number of times, have one coming in just a few short weeks, and I can say that the lap time statistics are no fluke. I love this trans. and can't wait to regularly use it.

All of the other stuff written here about the styling of this car is mere opinion. Stick with your "passionatly traditional" version and, with the wind whipping through my hair, I can't wait to blow right by you.

2. Guibo

Guibo Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Ferraris have had fairly plush 2+2's and GT's for decades. Is a 456 a purist machine? I don't think so. As long as Ferrari continue to offer the more sporting machines (355, 360, 430, Enzo) as well as even harder cars (CS, Scuderia, FXX), then they're still catering to the purist and that's a good thing.
    A 993 Turbo may seem like a purist machine to us now because it is so relatively simple compared to today's cars. But back then, it was a pretty plush car. Leather interior, electric operation of the windows, seats, sunroof, mirrors, door locks, etc. I could imagine that a purist driver of the time might wish Porsche would build a car more along the lines of the 914.
    My guess is that one would have to drive the California to make an informed decision about whether it truly dilutes the brand. Going by the fairly mental engine sounds in the Evo video, it seems to deliver on at least one traditional Ferrari trait quite well.

3. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The new transmission changes things alot. Since it is so much smoother, some may not find it satisfies their need for a more raw harder edged drive.
    It will be interesting to see how people like the driving experience in the 458 Italia with a similar transmission. Perhaps, Ferrari will program some jerkiness into the system to appease. Obviously in racing, smoother faster shifts are better.

4. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'll await the day a Cali "blows" by my F430--anytime, or for that matter, even my old white 997 GT3 in any twisty, hilly or track environment.

Dreams are what are what sell Ferraris, of course, enjoy your slumber.

5. TrojanHorse

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree. I've driven it, looked at it, and played with the top. Its not just about the "noise" and so its not acceptable on any count to this purist.

The only thing of any interest with the Cali is the twin clutch--and, I'd guess it was put into the car as the test bed for the future change within Ferrari from F1 style boxes. It did seem quite good, though a bit too uninvolving--esp for those that weren't very pleased originally with Ferrari's change to F1s from sticks.

But F1s have gotten very good in their last couple iterations and for that, I give Ferrari technical huge kudos--and though still not as involving, F1 technology today does make it easier to drive quicker and fast more safely.

So, I'm ok with another technological change to the twin clutch as the "standard" Ferrari tranny, assuming it holds up under the stress of hard road driving and track time.

As to the 456, again agreed, it was an example of a boat and not something purists accepted...which is exactly why there were many unsold and at some dealers, were being "given" away for peanuts, new, as the enticement to buy the F430 when it first hit the market. I'd hate to see what you'd sell one for today...But in fairness, Ferrari never said it was anything but a "gentlemen's car", made for cruising and grocery runs and its production was always quite limited and targeted to a small, select group that didn't want a proper Ferrari.

However, with the Cali, they've acted like its a proper Ferrari sports car, suggesting it is "special", a "dashing" new design, and then splashing it all over car rags in a big time auto model "roll out" trying to convince all that owning one is like owning any "Ferrari". And this is probably what gets the goat of purists more than anything else...

6. arakisfilip

arakisfilip Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2004
    cali is absolutly a ferrari,

with the power wars with lambo, and racing with porsche ferrari needed the CALI so it could bring in a new high volume car, and make the 430 sucessor 458 a beast that will blow everyone away,

after the 360 400hp was replaced by 430 485hp, and now the 430 by 458 with 570 hp there is quite a big hole missing in the below 570range, witch ferrari has been filling ever since its conception

if you look at the cars from dino up until the 458 ( witch are all evolutions of one another)
    ferrari has skipped the competition by a hole class!

they started from dino competing with the porsche 911 carrera, and ended up with 458 now competing with the gt2, becouse 430 already blowes the turbo away.

so simply now they needed a car to fight for the lower sport car segment, exsample, carerra 4s, aston V8, merc sl and such, oh and i wouldt be to suprised if after the 430 becomes history they roll out a Cali coupe * scuderia style,
    And so what if caly was in concept a maserati, the concept was developed while ferrari owned maserati and maserrati was just a lower end ferrari, it isnt like it was developed by Fiat like the Cayenne/toureg were by VW,

7. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    #32 subirg, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
    I gotta say, with all the need for desperate defence, the Cali is hardly setting a blazing trail as a 'true' Ferrari. It's a Mondial for the 21st Century and used values will prove this in a very short space of time... Also, given the volume of these things that Ferrari intends to make, it will be relatively easy to find a decent spec/color combo on the used market. Having said that, I like it's blend of real world practicality and understated performance (relative to the other FCars in the current range). Lap times for this thing are totally irrelevant - it's real place is on the road doing lots of miles and putting smiles on the face of it's owners through the way it makes them feel.

8. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Cali track times from various magazine tests. Not too shabby for an ugly car unworthy of the Ferrari badge etc :D

Autosport - Hockenheim Circuit

California - 1:13,5 with standard 19" wheels

Porsche 997.2 Carrera S - 1:13,4 with PDK, SPASM, PCCB, SC+

Audi R8 4.2 FSI - 1:13,4 with Magnetic Ride

Evo - Bedford (new layout) - faster than SL65 black series and R8 V8, not that far from CGT, GT2, GT-R considering what cali is

Carrera GT - 1:23,3

997 GT2 - 1:23,5

Nissan GT-R - 1:23,6

California GT - 1:25,0

SL65 Black series - 1:25,2

Audi R8 4.2 - 1:26,5

Autocar handling course - close to 599 fiorano, 997.1 GT3, R8 V10, faster than R8 V8 and 997 turbo

430 Scuderia - 1:09,5

997.1 GT3 - 1:12,5

599 Fiorano - 1:12,7

R8 V10 - 1:13,0

California GT - 1:13,2

R8 V8 - 1:13,5

997 Turbo - 1:14,4

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
  10. mnm

mnm Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    lol. I guess you don't fancy the california then, eh? :)

11. TrojanHorse

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've officially sworn off any future Cali bashing--my solomn promise to Maranello now that I've been honored with a position for the 599 GTO, (assuming, of course, Luca's boys indeed build it!).

As such, I have absolutely nothing at all to say in response to your post.

What I will say is that I still love my F430 and relish any opportunity to enjoy it (as I did with my 997 GT3) on tight, hilly and twisty roads. And, should a Cali be near, of course it would be a fun experience for both of us :)