Cali Rear Seat Comfort? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cali Rear Seat Comfort?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by raptorduck, May 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Funny I have a Panamera and a gt and was thinking of a QP! We sound like twins!

2. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #27 Bundy, May 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Monsieur Raptor Duck,

Even at 5'6", I don't think it will work for you, even with the thinner carbon fiber seats. That's my cramped 5'2" son behind me (5'9"), and I'm already too far forward to be comfortable.

That's how we ended up with a 612.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

sarahjones likes this.
  3. letsgo

letsgo Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    California
    Lol!

4. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I have a CL550, it does go like hell and does look good but does nothing to stir the soul. Throttle response on the CL550 is way too sensitive in the sport mode and way too slow in the comfort mode. The trouble is after driving the California which is almost perfect in throttle response, the CL is way off. Hopefully Bentley gets it better.

Rick

5. Nautilus1

Nautilus1 Karting

Apr 24, 2011
    NYC
    The rear seats in the Cali just are no good except for a 5 min hop. Even then the driver is too far forward for it to be really safe. 911 i think was slightly bigger. For a real backseat and the sound effects, etc i think you should look at the Maseratti. My partner has one and it can fit two full sized adults in the back with no prob and its used every day.

6. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    #31 raptorduck, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
    Make no mistake about it, I LOVE my Bentley GT. I consider it the best 4 seater coupe ever. I had always planned to replace it with a new Bentley GT as mine is now 6 yrs old and has given me many years of enjoyment. The idea is to find something that blends that car with my 2 seater convertable Ferrari. I am not a fan of the lines of the convertable Bentley so I thought a California. I don't expect the Cali to be a better GT than the Bentley. I love the Aston brand, but a DB9 or Rapide does not drive as well as a Bentley, although their styling and looks are second to nada.

The CL is a fantastic car, particularly a CL65, but the Bentley is an easy choice over it. The QP is gorgeous inside and out, but I have known about 10 or so owners and all have had one issue or another with it. One friend recently moved from a QP to a Cali. The Panamera is just butt ugly to me, the antimatter of a Rapide.

Fact is, like many folks on this board, I want a Ferrari in my garage. But my Ferrari would be the first car to go if I had to get rid of one. I can't justify a 430 spider (not worth the extra $50k to me over my 360) or a Cali while keeping the Bentley (two GT cars) and if I kept the Bentley and wanted to spend Cali money, I would spend a little more for a 458, but I don't want a 458. I would end up doing hard time if I drove that car (or a GTR).

I may end up just keeping what I got and moving to a new Bentley in a few more years. I will try the rear seats of the Cali this weekend. I have driven them before, but never tried the rear seats. I liked the drive enough vs my Bentley to check that box. It is a Ferrari like my 360 to check that box. It looks good from all angles but the rear one so check that box. The interior is not as nice as my Bentley's but nice enough so check that box. The sound is preferable over my Tubi's on my 360 so check that box. But the rear seats may be the box that kills the deal.

7. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Maserati GranCabrio? Definitely more space than a California.
    Soft-top though.

8. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Kinda off subject but what colors your car I really like it looks different then my Rossi corsa
    Larry

9. tnferrariowner

tnferrariowner Karting

Jan 30, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    David
    I just drove a California as I am interested in getting one. There is no room back theer unless you a 5 year old and the driver is less than 5 feet tall.

10. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    If I can get a car seat, 7 yr old in a booster, a 10 yr old, 12 yr old, 15 yr old, and occasionally an 18 yr old (all under 5'4" and not all at the same time. ;)) back there, I may go for it. If not, it is just another 2 seater and back to the drawing board.

Is it truly as small as a 911? I have been in the back of a 911 and at 5'6" I have to sit sideways. The Cali's I have driven so far have the shelf and no seats or I did not bother to even look back there to check.

11. dentata

dentata Rookie

Mar 11, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Three caveats:

* There's no way that you'd ever consider the back seat 'comfortable', by any means...
    * The top was down during all this...
    * I and my friends are fairly flexible people in their 30's

When I rented a Cali for the weekend (which spoiled me so much that I'm now waiting for a new one) I took two of my friends out in it -- she was 5'5, he was over 6". It was totally workable.

The last time I test drove a Cali, I sat in the passenger seat with the dealer behind me, with the top down. I'm 6'1", the dealer was maybe 5'9". It wasn't ideal, and I'd never want to take an extended road trip, but it was certainly doable for a commute or picking someone up from the airport.

Now, granted, your definition of "usable" may differ from mine, and I certainly defer to those who have owned their Cali's longer, but I think for a +1 situation (like picking someone up from the airport) or short distances, in nice weather, it's "workable".

Of course, it's a lot of caveats.

12. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I think for what you are asking, a convertible that seats 4 adults with style, and a great sound it would be the Maserati Granturismo convertible. Try it out.

13. SL%%

SL%% Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2008
    nice shade of red under the sun, what color is that?

14. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    See my other posts on the Maser. Can't argue with the looks and styling, but I can argue with everything else.

I married a supermodel, who happens to be smart as hell and can change the wheels and safety wire a motorcycle as fast as she can put on a cocktail dress. If I divorced her and married another supermodel, who was not very smart and is afraid of grease, it would be a significant downgrade.

This is a Bentley and Ferrari I am coming from.

All I need is the ability to transport small humans in the back up to 30 miles oo so max at a time and trunk space 80% of my Bentley.

15. gircal

gircal Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Dick G
    Not really. My driving position requires the driver's seat to be full back with a moderate tilt of the seat back. This positions the seat touching the front of the back seat riser. So much for that seat!

16. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Rosso Fiorano. Great color for a California.

17. gto406

gto406 Karting

Jan 7, 2008
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Brian M.
    - what about a Rolls drophead (phantom convertible)?
    - nice GT with seating for 4

- Jaguar XKR-S - performance likely at or better than a Cali and may have a better back seat?

- unfortunately not too many companies building useful 2 seater GT's these days (Bentley is likely the closest)

18. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    I have an XKR and the back seats are worse than the Cali especially with top up.

19. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    Wow. The Cali's rear seats were totally useless with the top up. I am only 5'6" and had to bend my head almost horizontal to fit back there with the top up. I thought the problem was just going to be leg room, which was not great. The Bentley rear seats are capacious in comparison. Oh well.

I think maybe I will keep the 360 or move to a 430 and keep the Bentley. Still, the Cali is a great car.

20. SpillyFez

SpillyFez Rookie

Dec 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steven Spilly
    Thanks for the pic.

Wouldn't you use the rear seat on the passenger side? Assuming of course that your significant other is smaller and can move the seat as far forward as possible?

Is having 1 rear passenger in for the occasional joy ride ok? Could they sit sidd saddle with their legs across the rear seat perhaps?

My intended passengers are both females, slim and about 5'7" (mother and daughter). Most of the time it would be just the two of us and we both have 4Dr sedans for practical purposes.

I don't want to spend >$300KAUD on my first ferrari which rules out the 458/488 and I actually prefer the look and modernness of the California over the F430 and 360 and much prefer a hardtop to ragtop convertible.

21. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I have the seat right back, so far it hits the rear seats!

22. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    The short answer is no IMO. Unless it's very short and infrequent trips. Sitting side saddle doesn't seem safe; I'd worry about diminished effectiveness of the seat belts.

Here's my 26 lb dog in the back. Wife is 5'8" and so seat not all the way back.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

T

sarahjones and Wheels1 like this.
  23. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Great photo :)

tomc likes this.
  24. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks. She's very photogenic!
    As of now, she's the only living creature who's fit in the back seat of our Cali. I tried once for grins, and even with yoga, I'm not as supple as I used to be!
    T