Cali T options | FerrariChat

Cali T options

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Nick1078, Jun 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nick1078

Nick1078 Rookie

Aug 23, 2018
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Hi All
    I'm starting to look at Cali T but I wont be making the leap until April 2020
    I would just like to know from your experience is there any options I NEED to have and any that I NEED to stay away from.
    I know I want the christmas tree steering wheel for sure
    Thanks in advance Nick

LitzDoc likes this.
  2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    My car was heavily optioned, it is full of carbon fiber, apple car play, High power audio, interior, diamond stitching, and though it is nice to have all that stuff I would have probably not built it that way if I had done it myself. You have 10 months and you are going to see a lot of cars with a lot of different options, color combinations and mileage. I cannot think of an option that you have to have, my car has the carbon fiber steering wheel with the shift indicators, it is nice but you will learn to hear when it is time to shift and it is a bit gimmicky for a street car.

Chizz likes this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hi Nick...
    +1 on everything Morrie said.

If you are not going to keep it long - CF wheel/LED lights, fender shields and Magneride suspension - seem to be critical, but likely not as critical to resale as color, mileage and condition.
    There is a Handling Speciale package for the T, which many here favor. I would read some threads on that.

If this is a keeper, then in my opinion the only options that matter are those that you want. For myself, when I was in the hunt the most important options to me were color - interior and exterior - I wanted an exterior color that was uncommon, not loud (no red or yellow), not black (shows dirt too well). As far as an interior color, I wanted something not too outlandish, not too bright and a good complement to the exterior color. After searching/educating myself for ~1.5 years, I decided on avorio over ciocolatto, or rather I should say, in the end my wife decided for me.

With my operating parameters in mind, I just loaded every car selling app on my phone, and just keep looking @ pics. There is also a Cali picture thread that showed
    a myriad of options, colors, etc. Calis that I thought were nice, I texted to my wife for a thumbs up/down.

Good luck in the hunt...T

tommygun64 and Chizz like this.
  4. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    I would highly recommend the HS pacakage. Other than that Carnut and tomc are experts. I would take their recommendations.

5. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    CF Drivers Zone, Steering Wheel and HS package. Those are a must. Anything else is a bonus :)

6. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    CF steering wheel is probably the one thing I wouldn't want to have to do later. Premium stereo I'm also glad to not have to upgrade with anything more than a subwoofer. I'm upgrading a bunch of carbon fiber but I don't think I could do an aftermarket carbon fiber steering wheel and I sure as hell wouldn't want to buy one after the fact from Ferrari.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Nick1078

Nick1078 Rookie

Aug 23, 2018
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Thanks all for your input.
    The search goes on
    Nick

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I guess I should add one more thing, make sure the car you get is one that was well taken care if and it is your first Ferrari, my advise would be to buy from a Ferrari dealer and make sure you get a warranty with it. For Ferrari, these cars are very reliable, but this is not a Honda and when stuff goes sideways, it can be costly.

Fireman1291 likes this.
  9. Nick1078

Nick1078 Rookie

Aug 23, 2018
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Thanks carnut
    I've just purchased a sales brochure from that era to try and help me.
    I've had a few Maserati so I'm not unaware of big bills when things go wrong.

Nick

10. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    Magneride is a must. HS does not match the GT philosophy of the California T IMHO. It makes the car stiffer for daily use but not sporty enough for the track. There is a great review on the forum by someone who bought the HS package and regreted doing so.
    Premium hifi is a must too if you plan to listen to music. With the option the sound is barely good !
    You also want the full electric seats and the carbon driver zone.
    The rest is to make the car unique.

11. tommygun64

tommygun64 Karting

Mar 24, 2018
    Europe
    Full Name:
    A.
    IMHO you should stick with the above advise even if you now think you are going to keep the car long. You just never know.

12. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Disagree with the HS comment. I think it is awesome. I drove one with it and without it and the handling is better with the HS. Just my two cents. No regrets.

13. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    Which confirms the need to test drive before choosing !

Chizz and Nick1078 like this.
  14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have weighed in over the HS vs non HS debate a few times, and I had my T out and there is nothing I cannot do in my car (legally and not acting like an idiot), that I could do in a car with the HS package. There is unfortunately reality and what we wish to believe (the willful suspension of reality is very easy for normal brained people). I would agree drive both cars the way you would drive them, if you feel there is a difference for your driving style, well then get one with the package on it.

15. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    IMO the optimal handling parameters are a car with HS with the Magneride on. I think the Cali T HS is better than the standard cali, cali t, cali 30 hs, and even the portofino...

Nick1078 and Chizz like this.
  16. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    I think I must have watched this video a thousand times back In 2017 trying to decide on the HS package. Finally test drove a Cali T with and without the HS package back to back and surprisingly the one WITHOUT the HS package was better suited for my driving habits. The absence of the HS package did not affect the resale value also. In summary there is no substitute for test driving yourself to come up with your own informed decision. Good luck!!

Carnut, Nick1078 and Chizz like this.
  17. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    And FYI you can retrofit the HS package for about... 11.000€ !