Cali T won't start... assuming battery? | FerrariChat

Cali T won't start... assuming battery?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by bob44, Feb 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    I have a '16 Cali T with 8300 miles. I've had it 18 months and put on 5000 miles. It's always on OEM Ferrari battery tender. It's been essentially glitch-free, but this weekend it would not start after about a week of sitting (on the tender). Starts to turn over, then immediately stops and flashes "Low Fuel Level" while simultaneously showing 2/3 full tank and saying "range 244 miles". After some experimenting, I realized if I put it back on the tender, it will start after 2-3 tries. Runs fine once started.

So, almost 4 years old, and I don't know how it was treated the first two years. Based on what I've read on the Forum, I'm assuming probably needs a new battery, and this glitch will go away. Does anyone think differently?

IF NEW BATTERY NEEDED, can anyone point me to instructions for battery replacement? I have basic mechanical skills, but once I looked at the battery set-up under the hood, I realized this is not just disconnecting two battery terminals and swapping in a new battery. Nearest official Ferrari service to me is 125 miles away, so I'm willing to try it myself if I have good instructions.

And another question with many potential answers - what is recommended make of battery to use? It has an Odyssey now, but I see Interstate and others recommended on the Forum. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You need a new battery. It acts strange due to a low voltage condition when you try to turn over the engine. These ECU's are super sensitive to low voltage.

Get this battery.
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Braille-Battery/147/B10049/10002/-1
    By far the best quality and most powerful. Yes it is a bit more than your average Interstate etc. but it is also on an entirely different level.

If you for example look at the CCA, they are almost what others offer in PCA, and the PCA of this battery far surpasses anything else.
    This is important, because this greatly reduces the chance of a low voltage condition. If the battery is good at delivering strong currents, even in the case of the battery should happen to be on the low side from sitting without tender, it won't get a voltage drop that results in the car not starting. One thing these cars do not like is a low voltage condition, and ìf the battery is drained then when the battery tries to deliver current, voltage drops significantly and the ECU's in the car go bananas. Storage capacity is great and all, but the batterys ability to deliver amps is king, and few does that better than Braille.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    Thanks for the feedback. I will check out the Braille...

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The cold cranking amps of the Braille battery is insane, 1115CCA. That battery should start a diesel locomotive! If the quality is good, I would go for that battery.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Only thing I would add to the above excellent advice is that if you have HELE, I believe that requires an AGM (absorbent glass mat) battery...T

6. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    My car does not have HELE, but in any case, both the Interstate and Braille I am considering are AGM... Thanks.

Il Co-Pilota and tomc like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The Braille is an AGM.

tomc likes this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The quality is above and beyond. Absolutely brilliant batteries.

Never understood why anyone would choose a basic battery like an Interstate for a Ferrari, when something this nice is available for a tiny bit more.

9. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I'm about to attempt a battery change in our 2015 Cali T. Getting a lot of random warnings on startup from time to time and now the steering column will not telescope and the memory drivers seat functionality is gone. I'll look into the Braille for sure. I just swapped out the battery in my R8 GT for an Optima. Had to just about dissemble the entire front end to do it. Not fun.

10. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    Richard, we can take this offline if you want any specific advice on replacing the battery. I was successful, but it was a real PITA to do it by myself. I learned a lot along the way. I'm at: [email protected]

Bob

11. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    EMail sent! Thank you!

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I'm sure it would be very much appreciated if you guys shared the practical specifics of the battery change.

13. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    OK, I'll give it a try, with these caveats: this is just from my experience on my Cali T (no HELE). Your set-up may vary. It was relatively straightforward once I learned the correct sequence of steps. Wasn't planning on a write-up, so this is from memory and I only took a few pics. Here goes:

Make sure battery tender is disconnected.

Make sure all power sources are off - radio, a/c, fan, auto-headlights, etc.

Make sure windows are down at least 1".

Deactivate the electronic alarm - press "unlock" button on ignition key.

Remove black plastic central cosmetic shield.

Release the gray locking lever to loosen the clamp from the NEGATIVE terminal.

Separate the clamp from the battery to disconnect the battery. Place the clamp so that it does not come into contact with the battery pole or other metal parts of the vehicle.

Remove black wire from clamp assembly. (It connects to the box sitting on the tiedown strap).

Remove black plastic cover from assembly above the POSITIVE terminal.

Remove red wire from clamp assembly. (It connects to the box sitting on the tiedown strap).

Unscrew the two screws on the red plastic tab holding down the clamp assembly.

Loosen nut on POSITIVE terminal clamp and move entire assembly out of the way. Place the clamp so that it does not come into contact with the battery pole or other metal parts of the vehicle.

Remove central bracket assembly that tiedown strap is attached to (just in front of motor).

Move bracket assembly/tiedown strap out of battery path, towards front of car.

*** You'll have to work the assemblies around a little, to clear a path for the battery to be removed.

*** How you remove it is up to you. A portable winch or similar would be best, but I can attest that it can be done manually, by yourself, if there's no other option.

*** I could not get the new battery into the 'insulation cover' while it was in place in the engine bay - just too difficult by myself. So I took the insulation 'box' out and fitted it onto the new battery first, then installed the whole thing in the bay. Had to make one cut in the insulation cover, so the tiedown strap would fit up against the battery again.

Once new battery in place, reinstall POSITIVE clamp assembly. Before tightening nut on terminal, replace the two small screws in the red plastic tab so the assembly is tight to the battery.

Tighten nut on POSITIVE terminal, reconnect red wire to clamp assembly and replace black cover.

Reinstall NEGATIVE clamp assembly, and lock down with gray locking lever.

Reconnect black wire to clamp assembly.

Make sure battery is fitted tight up against the bay wall, then bring the bracket assembly back up over the battery and attach bracket to wall. Make sure the strap is up against the battery and the sliding clamp is in place near the front lip of the battery. It may take a little manipulation to make it all fit.

Replace black plastic central cosmetic shield.

FROM THE OWNERS MANUAL:

Each time the battery is reconnected, do the following before starting the engine:

- close both doors and close the luggage compartment lid; unlock and lock the doors using the remote control; open the luggage compartment lid using the remote control;

- adjust the clock (date and time on instrument panel);

- close both doors and fully raise the driver side and passenger side windows to their upper limit; check that the windows move down to the “target position” when the doors are opened.

Warning!!!

WAIT at least 1 minute before inserting the key in the ignition switch.

Before starting the engine, wait at least 60 seconds with the ignition key in position II to allow the electronic system that controls the motor-driven valves and the AC ECU to run a self-acquisition process.

During this period, no devices must be activated.

That should do it.

Bob

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

AirC321, Jcm91ca, DavidPutty and 3 others like this.
  14. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    That's an absolutely stellar write-up Bob. I feel like I should pay you a royalty when I'm following it to the letter in a week or two! If you are here in LA, I'll gladly buy you a drink!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  15. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    Thanks Richard. I had a couple people contact me and ask for a write-up, so it made sense to do. Early on, I was surprised no one on F-chat had documented the battery replacement or had any advice. As I told you separately, I got a lot of advice and support from Damian, the Service Director at Calabasas Luxury Motorcars. He's a great guy to work with.

I'm up the road from you, about 3 hours, on the Central Coast. Grew up in OC, rarely down in LA area anymore. Looking forward to hearing about your experience once your Braille comes in.

16. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Did the battery swap today. Took me about 2 hours total taking my time. Bob’s writeup was pure GOLD. It would have taken me twice as long without it. I will say that had I not had a portable which to drop it in, I couldn’t have done it solo. Even with the winch it was tough. I’m a pretty strong/large dude too so I really wouldn’t recommend taking this task on unless you have the hoist or a good second set of hands. It’s not just the weight of the battery, its the location and how far you have to bend to get it there.

Fired her up and all is well although I do have the electrical fault popping up before going away. However, the memory seaters are working again, woohoo.

THe headlight is still out. I’m dreading the replacement cost. . .

Thanks again Bob!

tomc likes this.
  17. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    Great news Richard! Glad it all worked out for you.

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Which battery did you go with?

19. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Went with the Braille.

20. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    Thanks for this write up. Installed a Braille B10049 today. Took maybe 20 minutes. Much appreciated.