Cali - Tires advice | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cali - Tires advice

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by MDEL, May 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you Tom now the gearbox is like new as well as the tyres and because the weather is great I've been trying to recover the two lost months and enjoying my Cali as much as I can. Tomorrow I'm driving her to a wedding which takes place 200 Km away from were I live but, just in case, my wife is driving another car LOL.

Hope you've been enjoying your Cali…………………….

2. JasTex

JasTex Karting

Feb 21, 2016
    DFW Area
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Great news your back driving your Cali again. Have fun on your road trip this weekend.

3. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you Jason and I hope the Capristo continuous playing the great symphonic repertory…..

4. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I just ordered a set of the MPSS tonight's as well. I like getting a new set of rubber when I get a new car.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

That's awesome. My wife asked whether you'd have a following car even before I mentioned it. It's clear that we've both won the wife lottery! 😀
    Enjoy your Cali, and post a few pics...T

6. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I disagree on the MPSS, they are great when they are heated up, and they last longer than PZeros. But in temperatures of say 50 degrees F they become VERY slippery! PZero's don't last as long but until you hit snow they stick even when cold. MPSS are dangerous when cold. I was getting on an expressway entrance after driving about 2 miles on a cool day and the Cali rear went right out from under me bad without even pushing it in the entrance turn. It scared me. It was my 2nd Cali, the first I sold with over 30,000 PZero miles (I certainly don't lack California driving experience :)) and the with second Cali order I failed to specify PZero so the MPSS were on the car at delivery. 30 days after delivery I had this incident and threw away the MPSS for new PZeros and the problem went away.

Now, my FF has MPSS in the summer, again they last much longer, and I just warm them up a bit if it is chilly out.

Given all of that, they are all dangerous in snow so for winter I switch both cars to SottoZeros.

7. JasTex

JasTex Karting

Feb 21, 2016
    DFW Area
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Agree, PZeros and the MPSS are classed as summer tires and should not be used if the outside ambient temperature is below 45 degrees. Anything less than that and you should use winter rated tires. Also in my experience above 45 degrees the MPSS last longer than the PZeros and have better grip in damp/wet conditions.

Mario, the sound continues to get better and better :) How was the road trip?

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Rick... When you say 50 F, do you mean ambient temperature or tire temperature?

I have MPSS on my 911 and 50 F (dry) is the temp at which I start thinking about grabbing the pickup truck instead of the Porsche. Living in Dallas, with our mild winters, I can make it through the year with one set of tires. I've been out in temps as low as mid-40s, but those were sunny, dry days, just driving on the surface streets, nothing spirited.

I've just installed MPSS on my Cali, but have not gone through a winter yet on them. Am hoping that I can continue to pile up the miles once it starts cooling off here...T

9. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Jason, this road trip was different from anything I've done before with my Cali. A sunny and dry day driving in a very good motorway that has several sections with really long straights and three lanes. Put the Victor V1 radar detector on and because my wife was not aboard I decided was the time to test my Cali with the new types. What's normally a 2 hour trip was done in 1 hour and 10 minutes because we spend some long periods at 200 Km/hour and its amazing how at this speed the car felt so good and safe making the ride extremely comfortable. In one long straight I pressed down and when she reached 270 Km/hour my soon only words were "Dad you are exaggerating a little bit…". Almost reaching the end of the trip and I see in the mirror just behind and teasing us a Jaguar F type and obviously I couldn't let down our Ferrari family. Pressed the accelerator to the bottom look by the mirror and the Jaguar suddenly got really small so I thought that we've had enough for the day slowed down and let him pass.

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Excellent. 😀 It is amazing how well the car just cruises at 100 mph. At low speeds, it seems almost unhappy. Would be fun to cruise at high speed for extended periods out in west Texas, although I do need a radar detector. Am glad the new tires and transmission are serving you well...T

11. JasTex

JasTex Karting

Feb 21, 2016
    DFW Area
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Sounds fantastic Mario. Seems like you had fun, and was able to loosen the reins on your Cali !!

12. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Interesting.

If find the complete oposite to be the case on our 458. As for discussing what the tyres cannot do below their designed temp range, is to me at least, a bit of a moot point.

I find the PZero to be noisy, skiddish in the wet, and difficult on the limit. Can't see any upsides.

Something else I don't really understand here is this. According to my dealer, the Cali never came with the MPSS, but rather the old Pilot Sport PS2. The MPSS K2 spec for the Cali(Cali T was not available until some time into the Cali T production. This also coincides with the fact that I've never seen MPSS K spec tyres in the Cali size until recently.

13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

That was my experience, too, when I had a Cali. My car came with P-Zeros and I swapped them for MPSS. The MPSS had better grip, were more predictable at the limit, rode better and were quieter. I have to add that it was rare that I drove them hard in sub-50 degree F weather, though.

14. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Yup. Also got PZero's on my 991 DD. Besides the other things mentioned, they flatspotted if they sat for less than a week as well and showed the cracks some have experienced in the sidewalls(all four tyres). The tyres were on my car less than a year before I couldn't stand them anymore and simply bit the bullet and swapped them. It's also interesting that many F12 owners find their cars settle down and get more manageable after switching to MPSS.

15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Parallel universe! I switched from the OEM P-Zeros on my 991 Turbo DD to MPSS after I found they lacked predictability at the limit on track, even with Porsche's mega electronic and mechanical chassis controls and all-wheel drive. It did take getting a couple of flat tires to convince me, though, as besides being rather noisy and not riding particularly well, the P-Zeros were fine for daily driving.

16. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    As referred before I tested my Cali for the first time with the Michelin's Pilot Super Sport at high speed on dry roads and I'm absolutely impressed with the grip and the softness.
    After the first showers of the season came down tested them as well on a wet road and what a difference there is to the Bridgestones Potenza. The Potenza's lack of grip I've always felt before on wet roads and which frightened me a lot several times, is a completely different story with the MPSS. After driving the first tight bend I could immediately tell the MPSS's have a much far superior grip on the wet road and that permanent lack of confidence I always felt while driving with the Potenza tires in this conditions kind of disappeared with the new MPSS.

Because the MPSS are summer tires when I mentioned they inspire a much greater confidence while driving on the wet road surface that doesn't mean that I'm even thinking of trying to find out what's their grip limit on this kind of conditions. In fact the only thing I want on my Cali is a set of tires that feel relatively soft and comfortable, grip like glue on a dry road and never let me down on a wet road as far as I'm doing a conscious driving. Despite of the fact that I only had the MPSS for a couple of weeks I'm beginning to feel they're the ones.

17. Evergreen

Evergreen Rookie

Sep 2, 2016
    Utah
    MDEL, thanks for sharing your experience. I literally just took delivery of a 2014 Cali last night and drove it for the first time today. I'm so excited and love the car (my first Ferrari), but it did seem to ride a little rough. I've always been a Micheline fan and was thinking I might retread the car with them. They are currently shod with the BPs. After reading everyone's posts I'm a little more serious about doing it even though the BPs have plenty of life left in them.

18. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Seems there is multiple versions of Pirelli P-Zero and multiple versions of Michelin. Seems the Pilot Sport 4 S tire rates well.

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    What are you running on your Cali? I had Pirelli P-Zero when it was delivered, but they were worn out. Replaced them with MPSS, and have hard lots of good things about the new Michelin 4s, albeit mostly from the 911 crowd...T

20. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    P-Zero now. But they are done with only 12K miles. I'm going to put the Pilot Sports 4s. Sounds like the best tire for performance vehicle. The Cup 2 are really for track and dry days. I drive my car every day, rain or shine, I don't want a tire that does not perform in the rain.

21. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    When I had my Cali I changed the Bridgestone's to the 2016 PSS and it was a very noticeable difference for better. Interestingly I also had before on my F12 the Pirellis P-Zero but I went through a couple of experiences on dry asphalt that really frightened me. Again and because I didn't trust the P-Zeros, I changed to the 2017 PSS. Grip and smoothness improved considerably and certain vibrations that existed before aren't there any more. According to some testimonies I've read from owners who are using the PSS4s they say they are even better than the PSS and with that change you can't be wrong.

good2go and tomc like this.
  22. Phil_W

Phil_W Rookie

Jun 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    Philip Wilce
    Had a set of reasonably worn P-zeros on the Cali-T HS which I really didnt trust at all - Have just put a new set of Michelin Pilot4S K2 and omg what a difference - straight line stability is bang on and I reckon it will hard to knock it off line it feels that secure - I;m sure if I go a little bonkers with it I can get it to kick out but I have so much mroe confidence in the car now - Brilliant result and thanks for the advice on the forum which helped me to decide which way to go

Bill Phillips likes this.
  23. carlovers2021

carlovers2021 Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    chandra siauw
    My Cali came with Continental Extreme Contact Sport and I brought to track so far 5 times this a summer and handle well in my opinion…. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Michelin on mine

25. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I have a tendency to avoid heavy brake usage because of the high cost of pad/rotor replacements. I’d be very interested to know how your brake pads are holding up after track usage. Also, how hard did you use the brakes during those track sessions? Thanks.