Cali vs Cali T | FerrariChat

Cali vs Cali T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by N. A., Feb 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. N. A.

N. A. Rookie

Feb 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nimmo Abedin
    Hi! I own a 2012 w/17K miles but lately contemplating about getting a 2015/16 T.
    Wondering if worth it from all aspect? I know 15/16 will have maintenance covered few more years but warrenty almost over.
    Thoughts?

2. karachy

karachy Rookie

Mar 6, 2016
    I was in the same situation 1,5 years ago.
    I lost my Cali 2010 in a car accident and was able to choose from a 2011 Cali or a late 2014 Cali T.
    I testdrove both.

I like well build cars and the Cali T felt like how Ferrari should have build the Cali in the first place. How to start it for example; just press the start button, no waiting for a system check...

A more solid feel (no rattles / sounds), upgraded interior (especially the nav unit), quicker (I haven’t driven the Cali 30) and, in my opinion, better looking.

A big plus for the 2011 is the exhaust sound... The NA engine produces a great sound in comparison to the T’s.

The price difference was steep (about € 60k, in NL) but worth it. Up to this day I don’t regret the decision, it feels better and I enjoy it more every time I get in.

So I think it comes down to what’s important for you. And... do a back to back testdrive. That was the eye opener for me!

Hopefully this information is usefull.

3. N. A.

N. A. Rookie

Feb 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nimmo Abedin
    Great this is helpful.

4. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I’ve driven the 3 different variants and the wife and I agree we liked the Cali T better. The interior is much nicer/visually appealing. The Cali 30 I drove had the HS package and it for me was really a tossup between the Cali 30 or a Cali T. The Cali 30 does sound way better but the updated interior and to my mind better looking exterior makes the T the winner for me. There isn’t that big of a power difference between the 30 and the T or I didn’t notice it as much. But it is fair to say both the Cali 30 and Cali t are noticeably different then the standard California.

5. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA

You really should drive both for an extended test drive.

IMO the Cali T is more refined.

I find myself getting to the rev limited sooner and more often.

FWIW , Ferrari offers a warranty extension option that extends both your warranty and gives you another annual service, to what equates to a few hundred dollars over the normal new power warranty.

GL in your search

A

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'll take a different tact. Has it been reliable? At 17 K miles you're F-car likely has almost all the depreciation baked in. If it is still reliable and you still enjoy driving it, I'd keep going until the wheels fall off.
    T

AClark likes this.
  7. N. A.

N. A. Rookie

Feb 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nimmo Abedin
    Yea no issues yet and enjoying the ride so far. However I ran into my neighbor the other day who has a Ferrari only mechanic shop. He’d mentioned either the Cali or Cali 30 after 25/30K miles start to experience some transmission noises during decelerations ? Anyone heard or experienced it yet?

8. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    Owned 13 Cali 30 for 3 years and move to 17 Cali T Handling Speciale since 2 years. Loved the Cali 30, great car, but the Cali T HS for my personal expérience is improved in all specs. Engine sound of the Cali T Handling Speciale is louder than the regular Cali T even if it's still playing in a lower frequencies compared to Cali 30 NA
    T engine torque is huge even if it's regulated and more important for driving experience than the power difference between T engine and Na one.
    Have a look on Cali T HS.
    Enjoy

9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'm at only 21K miles. There are two recent threads with owners that have 30+K and 90+K miles. They'd be the ones to ask...T

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have driven a California and I now own a T, I would agree the T's exhaust note is a bit lacking (I am having a Capristo exhaust and controller installed while it is in winter storage at Algar), and I think the interior is much better (though my car a very big option list) in the T. What I like about the T is that the engine has room to make a lot more power. I have only driven one California and one T so what I am about to say is based only on that experience, but the T seemed to come alive once you started driving it like it is a sports car, the Calf seemed to just show it flaws doing the same type of driving. I guess it depends on the type of driver you are, and what you want to use the car for.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I have started thinking about a California again too. We had a 2013 30 and a 2017 T. We should have never got the T, it was a depreciation and resale nightmare buying it new, taught me I'll probably never buy a new Ferrari ever again. That said a great car, but until the gap less than $30k to the 30 I will probably just get another 30. I might get over it someday, but between the 30 and the GT3 I'm a fan of the naturally aspirated.