cali30 knock with steering wheel turned all the way | FerrariChat

cali30 knock with steering wheel turned all the way

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Isaak, Apr 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Isaak

Isaak Rookie

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    isaak Mull
    Hello

I am new to the chat and was hoping to get some information about my 2014 cali30. When I turn my steering wheel all the way to the left or to the right and drive forward, I get a knocking sound and jerking from the car. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Thanks
    Isaak

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi Isaak, may I ask if you are the original owner, or if you bought the car used? How long have you had the car?

The reason why I ask is because it looks like your front wheels may be rubbing against the suspension or the bodywork. This should not happen with the factory wheels but it can happen if someone has replaced the original wheels with wheels or just tires that don't fit properly. Sometimes people also install rims that were designed for a different Ferrari model or aftermarket wheels that are too big.

My advice is to definitely avoid turning the steering wheel to opposite lock and inspect the inside edges of the front rims, the edges of the tires, the surrounding wheel well opening, wheel well cover and nearby suspension components for any signs of wear or rubbing.

3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    If this is happening when the car is cold and you are backing out of a garage then turning at a sharp angle at a slow speed, the low profile tires might skip a little bit. Feels like you're running over something but it's just the tires.

If this is happening during normal driving, that's another story.

MalibuGuy likes this.
  4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yeah, on a cool day, backing up & turning, it's like running over a bunch of acorns.
    T

5. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    May or may not carry over, but...... Check the steering stops. A Toyota truck I had did this. A dab of grease on the steering stop bolts took care of it. They where hitting a corresponding tab on the control arm and creating a noise by grinding against it dry when wheels were at full lock and the suspension was compressed or drooped.

6. Isaak

Isaak Rookie

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    isaak Mull
    Thank you all for the replies. I am the second owner, just bought it one week ago and the rims are original in perfect condition. The tires do have a bit wear on them (p-zeros). Can it really be something as simple as cold tires?

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #7 4th_gear, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    FWIW, unless you have owned other Ferraris I am pretty certain that you would not be familiar with the behaviour of the Cali30 and won't quite know what to make of it yet.

It is purposely tuned so that, aside from providing a refined driving experience it can also present a raw, abrupt "personality" like a nervous race car, because this model was designed to deliver a more visceral traditional Ferrari driving experience than the earlier car, which was criticized by some as being too soft.

Since you have only had the car for a week there will be many more surprises and interesting experiences in store for you. For instance, under certain conditions, your car will literally jump right off the ground, or buck, while otherwise proceeding at a moderate pace, sometimes, but not always, accompanied by a loud backfire. Don't worry though, because it's normal for this car and that sort of behaviour can be completely controlled once you learn how to drive the car in its various modes. You can learn to make the car behave very gently or get it "excited" and nervous, if you are in the mood for some fast and raucous driving. The key is that the software that controls the car can interpret your driving style and then it will try to anticipate what you want. So if you are abrupt, the car will get "nervous" and respond in an exaggerated abrupt manner. However if you are smooth and gentle with driving inputs the car will calm down and behave in a very refined manner.

I suspect your complaint about the steering may also be due to your lack of familiarity with the very complex software programming of the car.

As for tires, always get new ones after 4 years. Tires age even when no one uses them and for high performance cars it's even more dangerous to drive on slippery old tires.

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Look up Ackerman Steering on Wikipedia which explains post 3 and probably means its not a car specific issue

tomc likes this.