California 2009 Loud Transmission whine | FerrariChat

California 2009 Loud Transmission whine

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by stephen nicholas, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stephen nicholas

Feb 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    stephen nicholas
    Hi, I'm experiencing a loud whine noise on my California which stops when I put it into neutral, so assuming its a transmission problem. There's no impact to gear change or power, but does seem to occur at varying speeds, slowing, and accelerating (and stationary when in gear). I'm wondering whether anyone has had a similar problem?
    I have it booked into Stewart Roden in Edinburgh on the 18-Feb, who has previously raced Ferrari's so hoping he'll be able to rebuild a DCT. But keen to get an idea of whether this is a common, expensive problem to fix!

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Can you make an audio/video of the "whine"? That may help some.
    Best of luck.
    T

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    So am I understanding correctly that the noise is gone when you put the DCT into neutral while the car is stationary, but the whine is there when it's in 1st gear with the car held motionless by your foot on the brake pedal? Is the whine gone if you engage neutral while the car is in motion?

What's the mileage of your car?

BTW, if the transmission is still shifting up+down and engaging gears smoothly under load, the noise may also be coming from the differential or pumps, also inside the DCT.

4. stephen nicholas

Feb 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    stephen nicholas
    thanks for replying folks.
    its an intermittent problem, but does occur when motionless, in 1st and held by the footbrake. but also in motion.

I've not tried to put it into neutral whilst in motion, but will give that a go this weekend (as well as taking a video of the noise).

Car has done 46k miles.

tomc likes this.