California alarm system | FerrariChat

California alarm system

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by John Hasty, Feb 18, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Hasty

John Hasty Rookie

Jul 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    John H. Hasty
    My 2010 California alarm system is a mystery to me. I park the car, do not set the alarm and later ask my daughter to fetch something I left in the car, the alarm goes off when she opens the door. I can leave the car in my garage for a day or so without setting the alarm and go back and open the door the alarm does not go off. The only difference is that I have the key in my hand and she did not; so I am supposing that one must have the key near the car, even though the alarm was never set, in order to enter the car. Can't find any explanation in the manual other than apparently the alarm is automatic when the key is removed regardless of whether you set it. Is this correct?

2. Willl

Willl Karting

Oct 8, 2022
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Will
    I routinely go to the garage without the keys and open the doors/trunk/hood without the alarm going off. The keys are stored about 50' away inside the house.

The engine immobiliser does activate every time you remove the key.

3. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    My 2010 Cali. does almost the same. When parking car, take the out key, close the door and leve it but not activate the alarm self activates after 25s without looking doors. Why? Very annoying. Went to my dealer and they said it can be a bad back up battery in the siren module. Located under the left front headlight. Will try to replace that unit

4. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Off topic a little.

My Honda came with a valet key, you are supposed to be able to unlock the door,
    start it, park it. I had no idea it had an 'immobilizer' built into it, it's a solid key no
    buttons, no battery in it.
    In 2014 I had the 'key fob computer' replaced (at Honda, under warrantly) as my keys stopped working, locking or
    unlocking the doors. I didn't even think about it but the valet key was not also replaced.

A month ago I tried using my Valet key just for the hell of it, it didn't work, would not start the car, but did unlock the doors.

I figured - as you did - if I had a 'normal, good key' next to it, on the console, within proximity
    of the valet key, that the system would 'see' the real key and allow the valet key to start the car,
    but nope - it has to be plugged into the ignition...