California Boot / Trunk Badge Removal | FerrariChat

California Boot / Trunk Badge Removal

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Dem, Apr 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Evening all,

I'm considering having a vinyl stripe put on my 2009 California and would prefer it to go under the silver "FERRARI" badge on the boot / trunk, rather than either side.

However, not sure how intrusive that might be in terms of potential damage to the logo when removing / refitting.

Does anybody know how that badge is fitted? i.e. adhesive tape, pegs, bolts?

Thanks!

Dem

Sent from my SM-G955F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I've removed mine for paint correction. I'll come back later today and walk you through it as I'm headed out the door for work at the moment.

3. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Ok. I found some pictures in my phone from when we were removing badges to paint correct and ceramic coat.

1. You'll have to remove all the plastic trim plug pieces around the inside of the trunk lid carpet, the emergency pull cable end, tiny little metal screws along the outside edge of the carpet and the inside grip handle (didn't even know that was up there lol)

2. Remove entire truck lid carpet to expose expose everything.

3. Have a hot glue gun handy to re-glue any sound deadening material that flops down in your way. I assume the the square clear plastic sheet outlined in metal stuck to the inside of the trunk lid to the right side is the antenna. Makes sense...anyway...

4. Remove 4 nuts holding the plate covering the 3 clips to the "Ferrari" trunk badge.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Closeup - reinstalled during paint work so it didn't hang by the wire
    (painters tape is there to prevent polish compound dust from entering trunk through the holes during paint correction)

5. Use pliers to pull the clips off the emblem posts. These are one time use clips so you'll have to have new ones handy. Ricambi America sells them (#88074800) they come in a 3 pack.

6. Pull the emblem off the trunk, install your stripe and then reverse the process.

If you want to remove the Cavallino to clean up any hard water deposits, now is the time to do it. It's held on by two 7mm bolts in a tight spot near the reinforcement webbing in the trunk lid. Do yourself a favor and order a 7mm flexible head ratchet wrench to make your life easier.

After paint correction and Ceramic Pro 9H

I hope that helps. This was my first time taking the car apart and it was fairly simple. I used fishing line tied to the end of the emergency pull cable to thread it back through the trunk carpet cover during re-installation. Good luck! I did it without any instructions so you'll be fine! - Adam

tomc, Dem and 4th_gear like this.
  4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Excellent review on the topic! ;) It's very nice to see other Cali owners hands-on, upgrading their cars.

5. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Wow! Thanks do much for the detailed post! Really helpful and hope I don't do too much damage!

Thanks again,

Dem.

6. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Thanks again for the great advice and pictures Adam! All disassembled well except the FERRARI badge in the boot was a bit stuck, so ended up having to cut the 3 clear rubber washer / seals away and wrecked them (can't find them for sale anywhere as not shown up in parts diagrams so a tough one to track down... Crafted something myself that should do the job, but would prefer to source originals.....) Anyway, job done and happy with the stripe! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Yeah you have to destroy the clips to get them off. Buy part #88074800 from Ricambi. The clips come in a pack off 3. Also, get some hi-temp hot glue sticks and apply some against the metal underneath in the trunk and push the clips into the glue around the badge posts. It'll be perfect.

Dem likes this.
  8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'm not typically a fan of stripes on non-track oriented Ferrari, but that looks really nice. Great write ups, people!
    T

9. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Gotcha! I bought the clips from Euros spares, but the hot glue sounds like a good solution to replace those rubber seals. Interestingly, I can't even see, on the exploded spare parts diagram, the small screws that go round the front of the boot lid carpet (if I ever need to replace any of those if they go missing) . Hey ho.

10. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Yeah it's strange that the new style clips don't have the plastic part on them anymore, they are just plain metal clips. Make sure you get hi-temp industrial hot glue so it stands up to the hi-temps of a trunk in the summer. Your car turned out great! Kinda fun working on a Ferrari isn't it!

Dem likes this.
  11. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem