California Buying Guide? | FerrariChat

California Buying Guide?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by JazzyJay, Jan 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    I was in the market for a 360 F1 spider when a few California (2010-2011) models came available in my area. So my stupid question is........

What is the difference between a 360 and a California? I didn't see a buyer's guide tread here on F-Chat, so I'm looking for some simple/ballpark/quick answers, such as...

what is maintenance difference? engine out service?
    what are the common gremlins to be aware of?
    what is driving experience?

Thanks in advance!

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Cali is more of a GT, 360 is more of a sports car, if that makes sense. If you want something that's for the track, get a 360. If you want a Ferrari to drive everyday and in different scenarios, I'd get a Cali.

Calis are newer and therefore more likely to be reliable, assuming similar maintenance regimen.

Cali doesn't need an annual engine out service. Don't know about 360.

Calis 2012 & newer get 7 year Ferrari service plan.

Common gremlins, common in that they pop up on F-chat: transmission faults, issues with roof mechanism, battery/tender issues. The first two can be $$ if not covered by warranty. Anecdotally, those are bigger issues on earliest Calis versus latest models.

In my opinion, if you like naturally aspirated, find a Cali 30 with HS package. 2012 and later.

I'd also avoid HELE. To me it's an unnecessary complication on what is already a very complicated machine, and it'll never make your Cali as green as a Prius. From my reading, it places extra demands on the battery/electronics, which already seems a weak spot of many modern Ferrari.

Driving experience? Love it! It's an everyday useable exotic. Fun to run errands, go shopping in, take wife to dinner, etc. If you have fun twisty roads at your disposal, step on it, and use the paddles/Sport Mode, it's a lot of fun. I've had it on the track, and it's definitely got more performance than I have skill! Coupe to convertible in about 13 seconds, can't beat that.

If it were me, the only 360 I'd entertain over a Cali would be the Challenge Stradale. If you've not done so, I'd go over to 360 forum and ask the same question there, in order to get both perspectives.

Good luck...T

3. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the advice. Very cool. Most of the Calis I’m considering are <2012.

The 360s also have convertible top issues.

What are the transmission issues? Anything that can be noticed in a PPI?

4. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    There is a wire,wires that will chafe inside the transmission causing the speed sensor to read faults. No a PPI wont find it unless its already occurring. So its not something you get a warning about but while it is an issue on early models its not like every California ever made will get it either. Also since the problem reared it head the procedure for repair has become far cheaper then the original replacement of the DCT. While not cheap its still in the neighborhood of a clutch replacement on earlier non DCT cars. (note theoretically the clutch in the DCT will last the life of the car and never need replaced) Another issue that plagues more then just California but needs to be mentioned and that is the engine mounts failing. I believe this is an issue carried over from the 360, and 430 and it plagues the entire run of California's. However I haven't heard of too many issues with exhaust.

Over all maintenance on a California will be much cheaper then on a 360. Brakes being the major exception since the California comes with CCB standard. Also while i only have a few models to compare against personally I can tell you the the passenger area has more room then a 360, a 458 and a 488. I have no idea on the 430 but assume it has more room then it does as well.

Over all the driving experience is very nice in both the NA and turbo charged models. Both have plenty of power for all your daily driving needs, and while I didnt really put the car thru the twisties real hard, while on Mt. Charleston in Vegas we did zip around the curves fairly briskly. I still recall the first time I rented one, my wife was upset because she wasnt very comfortable in the 360 I rented the year previous on vacation. She changed her tune pretty quickly, so much in fact that we hope to be making a purchase sometime in the next year. My wife is not a "small" woman and as a result is generally uncomfortable in cars. Last year while on vacation not only did we rent a 2016 Cali T for the entire week, we drove the thing alot. Both of us were comfortable even on all day driving trips. She admits that she feels very comfortable in a California. To me thats about the best endorsement you can get. One thing to also mention is that the back seat is nearly useless. mostly will only work for small children and will become more and more useless the older they get.

So in closing like every ferrari the california has a couple of issues that need to be watched for, but it should be fairly easy on the wallet on annual maintenance compared to earlier models. While not a sports car is one heck of a grand touring car. Its a a very comfortable riding car with plenty of power. Like all Ferraris a healthy reserve should be on hand for a DCT or top issue especially if you do not have an extended power warranty from Ferrari.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Actually, the HELE system works very well.

The initial issue I had with my new car was due to a faulty ignition component that got installed when the car was being assembled, and it was not a HELE design issue. HELE works perfectly otherwise. AFAIK, all current EU cars must ship with HELE so it's no longer an obscure option from Ferrari. If you buy a new regular everyday Ford car in Germany, it will have a similar STOP/START system. On the Cali, it's easy to disable HELE on the fly with the paddle shifter or your right foot... without looking for buttons.

Systems like HELE does involve a lot of computer controls which does require a bit of learning from drivers, like ...if it's a really hot day, and the A/C is going full blast, HELE will not turn off the engine... or if the engine is still cold from a cold-start, HELE will not turn off the engine IF YOU IDLE with a cold engine. It will only turn off the engine once it's warmed-up and only if there is not a heavy electrical draw on the system. The driver basically has to know something about cars and anticipate the car's programmed behaviour when he's driving, not bad things with modern Ferrari ownership.

I ordered my car with HELE for 4 reasons:

1) it actually improves the performance of the car (significantly more torque)
    2) it may make the car less objectionable to (future) stringent emissions requirements (the HELE Cali is rated at 23% lower emissions)
    3) I like to give my ears a break when I stop at a light as it actually accentuates the pleasure when the noise comes back on.
    4) I like to try nifty new technologies​

On the Ferrari California, HELE reduces the amount of torque being lost through the fuel delivery, engine fan and cooling systems, "... under normal running conditions, the engine can avail of an extra 25 Nm of torque which in turn boosts responsiveness...". The max engine torque from the 2010-2011 Cali is 485 Nm at 5000 rpm. So if the car just happens to be putting out its max 485 Nm torque, HELE will give back 5% to drive the wheels. That makes the car feel significantly more responsive.

Calis with HELE come with extra software controls, a heavy-duty starter motor, an AGM battery and a modified engine block designed to optimize oil circulation.

Here's a good article on the 2011 HELE Ferrari California.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    One of the biggest issues comparing used cars is simply AGE. The 360 was 1999-2005, the Cali was 2008-2014 and you are looking at 2010-2011. That's a potential 6 to 12 year difference in age.

Older cars, assuming of the same level of quality, will have many more parts that have accumulated more miles, more years of degradation... not only from being driven more, but also from just having existed longer. Like every durable manufacture product, maintenance requires complete replacement of wear and tear parts at predictable points in their maintenance cycle. The most obvious category is RUBBER COMPONENTS.

Rubber degrades with time, faster if subjected to high heat, friction or ozone. I shop for new tires after 4 years, regardless of wear because tire rubber compounds degrade, are designed for 4 year cycles and degraded tires provide less grip. Rubber hoses, grommets...etc., also all age and need replacement.

The 360 is a very nice car but sports car or GT, the Cali is much faster. The difference in technology and styling is very obvious. The 360 is 2 generations older than the Cali in terms of Ferrari technology and styling.

7. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    I agree about the age of the vehicle, but since I am coming from an '84 QV, any car built in the 2XXXs will seem infinitely newer!

8. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Well to me the California is the best value currently, especially over a 360. That isnt to say a 360 or an f430 are junk. But given the cost for clutches, and majors (on the 360) the maintenance on the California is a bargain and a lot of the f430 and California prices are in the same ballpark. But the difference is the California is a GT car and the f430 and 360 are "sports" cars. Personally for my age the Cali is just fine. I find myself looking at F430's and I always seem to migrate back to the California's. While the first modern Ferrari I fell in love with was the 360 my new passion is the California.

tomc likes this.
  9. azzurre7

azzurre7 Rookie

Jan 20, 2017
    Imho the California is a girl's car

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Buy a later Cali with HS or handling package and a extended warranty

Or better yet buy a Cali T

good2go and azlin75 like this.
  11. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Well I drove an f430 for the first time yesterday. Would be an ok car if it had more comfortable seats. 15 years ago I coulda handled the 430 but not today.

I don't see how the heck you see a California as a girls car, you must of course see all the other GT Ferrari cars as girls cars too? Obviously you are entitled to your opinion. Having driven all 3 iterations of California so what if someone thinks they are a girls car, cause I like girls. Also love my wife, who also happens to be a girl, who pretty much hated everything I looked at other then the Maserati Granturismo and the Ferrari California. She wasnt a fan of the f430 we looked at yesterday, and got out right after getting inand refused to go for a ride.

And full disclosure it took me a few weeks to even consider the california at first because it wasn't the type of car I usually gravitate to, and I'm not a huge convertible fan. However the top passes for a hard top very nicely and it was nice putting the top down while driving thru the mountains.

In closing I'm looking for a car that is sporty enough that I can fit my family in when I want to take off for the weekend, or just take my wife on a date or even have a spirited drive for fun. The only car on my list I haven't driven is a hellcat challenger and I'm pretty sure I don't want one to begin with. So really the only cars in looking at are the 13 and up California and the 13 and up Granturismo with the Ferrari being my top choice. If that makes me a girl well I think I can live with that.

12. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    i'm sure you've driven one... nothing says "girls car," like 453- 555 bhp... i smell a troll... a small, short, green little troll.

cali t hs is literally the best car i've ever owned. i know a lot of people who haven't driven one like to take a swipe at it but its the perfect car for every scenario.

GeorgeJB and good2go like this.
  13. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Wow, your second post and you call a California a girls car.

I personally see very few women drive any Ferrari. I would love to see more women drive Ferrari.

Thanks for such a thoughtful second comment. I look forward to seeing your third insightful comment.

Avia11 likes this.
  14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Most FCars in the normal range do not appreciate over MSRP.

Let’s watch market prices. Having owned both, I always felt that the 360 was visually the better of the two. I don’t miss my the shape of the Cali GT but sometimes do miss the style of the 360.

I doubt either car will appreciate over MSRP. Especially given the style and performance of the Portofino and 488.
    Ferrari has moved the game forward hugely.

15. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Let's also not forget that they make a lot more Ferraris now then they used to and all signs point to making more. I highly doubt many of these newer cars hold high values unless they are already very low production highly sought after like the Enzo or the LaFerrari. An entry level car such as the 360 430 and California will probably stay at or just under 100k with the exception of the special cars.

16. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Now, now. My wife loves driving our Cali! It's just that her hubby likes driving it more.

I agree with the earlier post - as an all around, liveable F-car, it's hard to beat. Took it shopping for groceries yesterday, after a spirited back roads romp. If it'd been sunny & 10 F warmer, would have popped the top. Coupe/cab is a hard combo to beat...T