News

California DCT Speed Sensor saga

Discussion in 'California/Portofino' started by BDeuel, Apr 14, 2019 at 8:31 PM.

1. BDeuel

BDeuel Rookie

Jan 27, 2019
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Brad Deuel
    So I am sickened to say my car has required the DCT speed sensor be replaced... horrible. I have now been without my car for 6 weeks while I have had the diagnosis, waited on Ferrari to release the restrcited parts, shipped them to service, installed all new harness, sensor and gaskets... just to learn that now I also need an SAP unit... wowow this has been a Nightmare that doesn’t seem to end. Now the car is sitting at Ferrari of Tampa waiting on their guys to get the newly diagnosed parts in to hopefully maybe actually get my car back.. for a small fortune. I can not fathom how Ferrari has not issued a recall for an issue that is unquestionably a procedural installation error which had it been installed properly from the build would not likely have ever occurred. Meanwhile those of us who have had this unfortunate experience not only have the huge aggravation of not having our cars for extensive lengths of time, we spend an exorbitant sum of money on this repair. I am into this for over $8k now and we still haven’t factored in the new parts required.. unreal.. others? I seem to read similar scenarios on here... my buddy is thinking of selling his 458 just for this reason,,, watching the car disappear for now what will be Months, and paying through the nose when it is all said and done.

2. AD211

AD211 Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Davis
    No doubt that sucks. Very sorry to hear. How many miles are on it? May be helpful too if others that have had it occur chime in with the mileage at failure.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. BDeuel

BDeuel Rookie

Jan 27, 2019
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Brad Deuel
    Just rolled over 22k miles. 1 owner car and just went through the full ferrari service at Ferrari F Lauderdale in December 18..

4. vjd3

vjd3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Sorry to hear. What year Cali, Brad?

5. BDeuel

BDeuel Rookie

Jan 27, 2019
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Brad Deuel
    Late 2012..

6. BDeuel

BDeuel Rookie

Jan 27, 2019
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Brad Deuel
    GNALUZU, Today at 5:43 PM
    What were the symptoms of the DCT sensor issue? Or did a warning pop up on the display?
    1. Absolutely Nothing! Never had a single warning light. I went to the gym.. came out to the car, got in and started it, display went through the system checks, came back w the green all good, tapped the R to select reverse and Nothing.. car wouldn’t go in reverse. At that time a warning light appeared on the dash.. tried shifting to sport mode, tried restarting, tried letting the car sit for 20 minutes.. called Ferrari and asked and they recommended all the above, confirmed ambient temp was adequate (I am in Florida, so no prob there)..

Had to then get out and push the car back enough to clear the curb to be able to put in drive, which worked and drove it to the nearest (6 or 7 miles) service center recommended to me by FFL, for a diagnosis. That was the first week of March. Still not complete...

7. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Reminds me of my run in with a similar problem with my 458.

Pulled into a parking spot, hit reverse to back in but nothing. Got only a red transmission light on the dash. In race mode at the time.

Finally ended up going to a local repair facility but when I had to go into reverse, it worked. Left as it wasn’t the dealer. No problem after that until I took it into the dealer for its yearly and I asked them to look. Couldn’t find anything.

Left the dealer and took a drive to make sure it all worked when I stopped for gas. Went into reverse to get to an open pump but no go. Realized I had put it back into race mode for the first time since it originally failed. Moved to sport on the manettino and reverse worked fine.

Moved to race mode and it still worked fine. But after a few minutes reverse failed again. Took it back to the dealer and showed them.

With a hard fail and a way to replicate they began to look at it with Maranello. They claim the fault was with the reverse switch! Replaced and it has been fine ever since.

Still don’t quite believe it tho....

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Does your car have the oil cooler on the back of the gear box? I know they started to install them mid 2012, and once they did the sensors stopped overheating. This is why I paid for the New Power Warranty. Sorry man, I know the feeling of getting bent over at a dealer. Do you live in Tampa as well?