California early impressions | FerrariChat

California early impressions

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Lukeylikey, Jan 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I took delivery of a 2009 California in December. It replaced a 430 Spider which had Capristo manifolds and pagid grey brake pads (a lot of extra torque and much better braking on the steel discs).

The last few weeks have been cold, icy and snowy so I haven't had a good opportunity to really get under the skin of this car but I have already formed some interesting first impressions and found a few questions that others on this forum might be able to help me with.

Hopefully this might be of some interest to some of you, if not, apologies!

The first thing to note about the California is that it looks stunning in the flesh. It is really a lovely and successful design, especially so given the amazing packaging in quite a small footprint - 2+2, hard top convertible, high performance, not too wide etc. it never seems to photograph well though, which is surprising somehow.

The second point to notice (on the handover) is how much Ferrari exterior and interior detail design has moved on since the 430. The 430 doesn't exactly look old but the much newer body shell design of the Cali gives a very different impression - much less curved, more solid feeling and with more technology. The interior feels very good and the seats (standard with power on mine) are about the best I've sat in, which includes racing seats on my CS and before that on a 360. They are brilliant. The seating position is excellent too. With the 430 I sat far too high and the headrest never really fitted me well, being too far away. Major controls are very well positioned and the advance of design since the previous generation of Ferraris is felt most strongly in the interior - it really is excellent. Even the SatNav, which I've seen criticised elsewhere, seems very good and also looks much better than I had been led to believe.

Rear seats are for occasional use but I have managed to put two of my daughters (14 and 15 years old) in the back for a 40 minute trip. Pretty tight but do-able if you need to (and when you have a Ferrari, sometimes you do just need to!)

The planning in the overall design seems excellent - the location and convenience of the standard fit trickle charger, the way the rear luggage compartment works with the hardtop, the TFT screen which I think works well, the through boot, among other things.

The static elements of the car are great - with superb showroom appeal.

On the road, things are very good but not perfect, with one particular thing I have been trying to work out.

So, the major controls. First the steering - very different to the 430. It seems a little more synthesised and less mechanical than the 430 which, on the whole, has excellent steering. The Cali has a much lighter feel just off centre, stiffening up harder into the turn but still less than the 430. At 5/10ths (ie high speed but not huge G forces) it can feel like the rack is too highly geared early into the turn. I'm not sure if this really is the gearing or the steering's lightness but not having pushed really hard over a 50 mile journey yet, I'm wondering if that might make it harder to get the car to flow, especially when you combine that with by far the worst feature of the car, and one that I have not yet fully understood.

On turning, and particularly if you meet uneven surfaces mid corner (very common in the UK) there is a somewhat unnatural lateral movement, first one way then back again. This happens quickly and would be enough to disturb the balance of the car if it happened on the limit. I don't really like it and I feel as if it shouldn't really be there on a Ferrari. I imagine it must be the result of trying to overcome some kind of compromise the engineers have with the package.

Here's where I need the help. I've been trying to work out whether the front or rear is too hard/soft. My conclusion is that the rear is harder than the front, but the rear anti-roll bar is softer, perhaps even too soft (could be totally wrong). My reason for thinking this is that the lateral movement seems to happen on the rear axle, which in the Cali is very close to where the driver sits - obviously different to the 430. It seems like you enter a bend, the front encounters a bump and by the time the motion finds its way to the rear it has become a noticeable body movement that has disrupted the flow of the car.

Until I can get to really drive the car hard for a long period on warm dry roads I won't know how significant an issue this is. Anyone else had the same experience?

With regards to the gearbox, that is a fabulous piece of kit. I've heard some people talk about it making the 458 too 'playstation', which I probably think is unfair criticism (I also have a CS, which is the antithesis of this and I must say, the rawness is a big part of the appeal, but still I suspect the DCT in a 458 is exactly right). There's no such question in my mind about the Cali, where I think the gearbox is a brilliant piece of thinking and allows the car to really fulfil its design brief - to be 3 cars in one, sports car, convertible and grand tourer. No other car I can think of does a better job of merging these three things and the DCT gearbox is central to this appeal.

The front mounted V8 is quite a thing too. The engine is sonorous, powerful, quite torquey and a great thing to be powered by. Having the more energetic nature of a Ferrari V8 but in the form of a front engined layout gives the California a unique character and also helps to deliver a highly sporting, almost frenetic drive, but still a GT. Others claim that (Maserati Granturismo, Jag XKR, Bentley super sports, even Aston Martin - I've had a DB9 and DBS) but I don't think they really deliver it. The 430 nearly does but it isn't really a GT, at least not a classic one.

The brakes feel ok, but not a big improvement over the carbon stoppers in my older CS, in fact probably not an improvement at all. Sometimes you need to give them a big prod to get the sort of stopping power you need, especially when cold. Not as good as the DBS carbon brakes.

Overall, and with the caveat of not having given the car a truly hard workout, the California, even the original pre '30' car can only be seen as a great success for Ferrari. As a CS owner, I feel qualified to say that categorically the Cali is a proper Ferrari, with its own unique character.

Its best feature is how well it combines various roles so successfully with very few compromises to any of them. It is a great car and for the right people an almost perfect one.

Its weakest point is that out of the three roles, the biggest compromise happens to be with the sporty driving experience. I have yet to fully understand how big an issue this will be but since this is a Ferrari, it might have been better to have compromised the GT bit to eradicate the potential flaw I mentioned earlier.

Overall, a solid 8 out of 10, which may even develop into a 9.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Do you have Magnaride?

3. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Yes, should say spec is magnaride, 20" wheel upgrade, black/bordeaux. Mostly driven in sport mode.

4. anthony47

anthony47 Karting

May 15, 2005
    You're comments on the handling are similar to those made by the UK press when reviewing the original car.It seems the upgrade to the '30' spec has cured these issues.It would be interesting to know if the earlier cars could be upgraded.However I doubt that most California drivers would be that interested,as you seem unusually discerning.If you find out,I hope you will post the results.

5. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Thanks for the insight, and the observations about the steering. I noticed a similar feel in my 2012 (although I have CCB and am happy with those), but had not driven the car (or other Ferraris) enough to know if it's me or the car. I've had mine more than an month, and have driven it several hundred miles (it is a perfect California for California) and am enjoying it immensely.

If I did anything to it, I might change the exhaust to get more resonance in the noise the car produces (nothing like winding it up until a couple of my LED's light up). The seats are beyond what I was expecting (I'm 6-0, 220 lbs) and the fit and finish are excellent. Agree re the DCT; I tracked a 430, and really enjoyed the raw power, but the shifts were much "harder". I plan to drive the car at least a few thousand miles a year, and feel confident based on my initial experience that I can do that comfortably.

I'm still a little mystified why some Ferrari owners hold the car in such scorn (big rear, blah, blah, etc.). I'm pretty sure no single car would please everyone, and that Ferrari creating this car serves a market of folks who love beautiful cars in which they can tool around. It is one of the few convertibles of any brand anywhere that look as fabulous with the top up as the top down. This is no small feat of aesthetics, and one of the things that drew me to the car.

I love the 458's looks, and really like the F12; some other years and models don't attract me the same way. I wanted a convertible I could drive in comfort, and where my wife could join me without ear plugs. She enjoys riding in it almost as much as I do driving it (although she is still a little miffed at my reluctance to hand the keys to a valet or park it just anywhere).

I'm pretty sure I won't ever see the full 194 mph power of the car, but have been amazed that it isn't so much that the car goes fast, but how it goes fast. I have yet to do any C&C's or go to Ferrari gatherings; not sure if people will boo and hiss if I do...

Regards, Bob H

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #6 TheMayor, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    This to me is the sorriest part of Fcar owners--- how prejudiced they are and how unaccepting of anything "different" than the hardest of the hardest edge.

When I had my Dino in the 80's, it was the exact same thing: "It's a Fiat, it's not a "real" Ferrari, it's too slow, it's mass produced, etc." I heard it all.

The CA is going to be one of the most popular F cars of all time for first time buyers.

Why?

Because it's the least expensive model of it's era making it more in reach for those wanting Fcar ownership, it's reliable, it's the easiest to use everyday, it's a coupe and convertible, and it has low maintenance costs with remarkable performance.

What people forget is that Enzo made most of his money making GT's, of which the original California was one of. The Lusso, the "Luxury GT model" of the 250 range and one of the most beautiful cars of the era, was by far and away his biggest production car of the time.

7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks for the detailed impressions. Having come from/started with a 360 spider, I mostly concur but will say that I haven't noted any "unnatural lateral movement." The California's center of gravity is higher, and the car is more softly sprung, so there is more body roll, but that's about it, and perhaps that is what you are feeling. The car sticks well in hard cornering and is easily controlled at or near the limit, whether the road is rough or smooth. I have taken the car on many a spirited drive with other Ferraris as company (though not the track). Following 458s, 430s, and even Scuderias, I have not had any difficulty keeping up or had the car provide me with any scary moments (if there were any, it was my fault, not some quirk in the car's handling).

The 360 sits much lower and the turn-in is more crisp, and of course there is less body roll. The ride is rougher, you have a closer and more direct view of the road ahead (not such a long hood/bonnet up front), and the overall experience is more "raw," which makes that car more fun to drive (mine also has a stick).

But I agree that the California is a great combination of coupe, convertible, GT and performance car that is usable every day. It is much better at just about everything than any other comparable car, be it a Mercedes SL, Jag XKR, BMW M6, Maserati GranTurismo or GranCabrio, or Aston Martin. Of course it won't outrun a 458 on the track or if my friends tried hard to run away on the street, but all-out performance is not its main or only purpose.

8. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I have had nothing but positive remarks with my Mondial (gasp! the horror!) at C&C gatherings (although I go only to smaller ones). Perhaps the snobs just avoid me/it. Interested to hear if the California gets any flack publicly (versus behind keyboards).

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Not that it should matter that much, but the California has been well-received everywhere so far. I regularly get together with other Ferrari owners, many of whom have "better" Ferraris (458s, 430s, 360s, 355s, 3X8s, 550s/575s, 599s, Daytonas, other classics) and some of whom are of very great financial means (judging from their amazing car collections) and the reception has been nothing but positive.

10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The Cali is one of the best GTs in the world and thus one of the best cars in the world.

11. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I have switched off between a 430, 458, and a California on the same afternoon and did not notice any untoward upset on bumpy turns in the Cali. It is not as taut as the mid engined sports cars but there is nothing unruly about it. I assume you are running in Sport mode (not "comfort")? Also tire pressures should be set properly. If you are getting a sense of movement in the rear, it might call for more air pressure back there.

12. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Agree with N4S. I haven't experienced any unnatural lateral movement. I came from a 911 and the Cali certainly isn't as agile or firm but is an excellent daily driver which suits me ideally.

13. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Thanks for the comments. It is definitely more than body roll, which is higher than in a mid engined Ferrari and for the record I have no objection to at all - all part of the character of the car and does not detract from the overall experience in my eyes.

From your replies, it sounds like this motion may disappear with the suspension under very heavy load in a corner.

I've found a road test report (EVO magazine - Audi R8 v Jag XKR v 911 Turbo v Cali) that hints at something similar to what I have been feeling and gives an explanation. Their view is that the Cali has fast steering, quick turn in with zero under steer but an under damped tail. (They also say the car can feel as if the front and rear axles are at odds with each other).

This means that over speed bumps the rear will feel fairly solid because the spring rates are ok (check), but that when you are in a corner, the dampers are not strong enough to eradicate secondary movement from the springs (all springs will keep bouncing unless controlled by the damper).

I think an under damped rear axle could lead to what I am feeling when driving quite quickly at 5/10ths but I would expect this effect to be less when cornering more on the limit because the springs are more heavily compressed. This may lead to the car feeling unsettled in spirited cornering but still predictable on the limit, which most people say the California is. The car is also extremely well balanced which helps.

Driving on even half decent roads you may not feel this - but in the UK where motorists are taxed heavily but our roads are very poor with too many holes and ridges on our fast 'B' roads, there is lots of opportunity to expose suspension deficiencies. UK manufacturers are excellent at making cars ride well for this reason (Lotus, Aston - mostly, Jaguar, Land Rover etc.)

It's interesting the same magazine drove the Cali in Italy and gave it a great write up. They did the group test in the UK and the car placed last on the basis of this issue (which I think is harsh - but then I would, having bought the California in preference to the others).

14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    To make it easier, here is the relevant bit from the article I found. As I said, I obviously don't agree with this guy's conclusion....

At low speeds the California delivers on Ferrari’s promise of a supple, less demanding open-air GT, and on gently curving sections of the A5 it flows with an easy, relaxed style. There’s not a huge amount of feedback or connection through the steering wheel, but you simply learn to trust in the grip from the P Zeros and soon settle into the Cali’s refreshing take on Ferrari motoring.

There’s a surprising amount of body roll though, and as our speed increases there’s a growing sense that the rear end in particular is under-damped. It squats under the effort of keeping pace with the front end and the weight falls onto the outside rear wheel, as you can clearly see in the cornering shot on page 71. There’s so much grip at the front that understeer is never an issue, which would be great if only the rear was in harmony. Instead what you get is a car that’s oddly disunited front to rear. The result is a curious sensation of turning in, then almost immediately counter- steering to settle the tail. Ferrari will doubtless shudder at the comparison, but it reminds me of an early TVR Tuscan, which also had super-responsive steering, zero understeer and an under-damped tail.

This lack of body control manifests itself in other ways, most obviously through compressions, when assorted bits of underfloor aerodynamic addenda noisily grind themselves into plasticky swarf on the coarse Welsh tarmac. That none of the other cars skimmed the road shows the softness of the Cali’s chassis set-up.

It’s an unfathomable situation given that Italy, and Modena in particular, is home to some of Europe’s gnarlier and more challenging roads. It’s also hugely frustrating, for the vocal, rev-hungry, front-mid-mounted V8, super-snappy transmission and carbon brakes are a compelling and memorable combination.

When the roads suit it, the California’s potential is abundantly clear, but I simply can’t believe that you buy a Ferrari – even a softcore Ferrari such as the California – just to use it on ordinary roads. Yet when you inevitably stray from its comfort zone and drive it quickly, it feels all at sea.

That the California finishes last in this test is as disappointing as it will doubtless be controversial. Ferraris are built to be adored, and in my experience are almost impossible to resist. But after 500 miles in the company of the Audi, Jaguar and Porsche, on roads topped by the wide open space of Denbighshire and tailed with the city streets of Liverpool, it’s clear that this particular Ferrari can finish no higher.

15. Tireman

Tireman Karting

Nov 13, 2011
    Canada
    Thanks for brilliant prose as well as the insightful comments.
    I too have an '09 Cali and experienced the same weird what I would call "twitching" in certain conditions. However as with most, "this too shall pass" and after a number of km (or should I say miles) you will notice it less and less ..
    The challenge for me is that the cars is truly brilliant but it fails in one of the categories... sports car .. so I keep wondering if a switch to a 458 would do the trick.
    But then I think of the 2 other categories and get stalled..
    Best is to wait for the next version of Cali which based on a variety of opinions isnt that far off ..

Enjoy !!

16. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    I had my Cali lowered using the factory shocks and I have no sense of "roll" anymore. Simple thing that the dealer can do, and fortunately, undo if necessary. I am pretty sure it was 3/4" lowering. Did not effect the comfort mode with Magenride.

17. Mikael_W

Mikael_W Karting

Jul 19, 2010
    If you want to be able to take your kids with you and drop the top I guess the California is the only option from ferrari.
    How does it compare to an Porse 997 turbo cabrio (manual)?

Can a kid actually fit in the back of the california?

18. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    My 7 year old fits perfectly with top up or down.

19. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    When I was a teenager, I used to blindly believe what was written (and printed) in car magazines

I took the opinions as fact back then most magazines would publish extensive objective "data" to support their subjective opinions

I used to analyse the data in fine detail, if one car had a 80-120 km/h in gear acceleration that was better by 0.3 seconds I thought it was a life changing fact that proved one car was "faster" than the other

My love of cars developed from reading the magazines, so I eventually did work experience at one of the magazines for a summer job.

I worked there for a month

My seeing how it worked from the inside has changed my opinion of road tests in magazines forever

For a start, I believe that what is written is effected by the fact that journalists are flown business class and sometimes first class to Europe and stay in the worlds best hotels

The pressure is subtle, but if someone had just paid $10k for a first class air fare to Paris/Rome/Monaco etc and I wanted to continue to be invited, it would be almost ungrateful to be negative about the car

Journalists are generally not writing from a potential ownership perspective, they are writing to appeal to the target readership. They never wrote about servicing costs or depreciation or reliability.

More often than not they are aggressive drivers that fancy themselves as race/rally drivers and don't drive the cars in a way that reflects the way the owners drive them

I have a favourite video series about wine I love from a journo called Jansis Robinson, and she says "all that need matter about a wine is that YOU like it, not what a critic likes"

In my old age, I now realise that it doesn't particularly matter if some pimply kid on a web forum thinks the California is a hairdressers car it it has bad rear styling or it rolls too much in cornering under race conditions

I now only care what I think because they are not driving my car, I am

I had an acquaintance talk to me about a 430 compared to a Cali, and I told him to be very careful before buying a Cali, and that in my opinion that he would not be in satisfied with a Cali

He drives very aggressively, goes to the track regularly and drives fast and hard often

I said it more than likely he would be disappointed

He then threw factual data at me, "but it's sub 4 seconds 0-60 mph, and it's 11.9 second quarter mile in road and track magazine"

To me it's simply the wrong car for him

But for me I'd buy the Cali again without question because it perfectly suits my needs

The Evo magazine test is interesting

But it's just an opinion

There is a four car comparison in an Australian magazine where the California wins outright instead of coming last

I don't think either are right or wrong, simply the opinion of someone that will never live with the car

Michael Shumacker signed off on the Cali handling, in his opinion it was ok

It's quite rare for someone on here to be driving a Cali at more than seven tenths around corners so it's going to be an interesting discussion

Unfortunately, with no aftermarket company able to modify the magneride controls it's unlikely the damping can be changed

20. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    That's a good way to describe it. I did wonder about the 458 since a friend has one and I know it is fabulous. In the end, keeping the CS and adding the California, which are both together about the same value as a good 458, seemed to cover most bases better.

My wife loves the California which helps too! (She didn't like the 360 Spider, 430 Spider and really doesn't like the CS)

It would be very hard to sell the CS which is an unbelievable thing but there are times when a non-red, non-wide and more subtle Ferrari is exactly in order.

A California is a car, the mid engined Ferraris are a bit more toy-like.

21. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    My experience with the California confirms that it does indeed have more body roll than the mid engined sports cars, but then it sets up and remains stable. I did not sense anything more than that, nothing that I would call "twitching" or upset under highly transient road surfaces.

It is hard to disentangle from your description (1) what one would normally expect in transiting from a mid-engined sports car to the California from (2) untoward sloppy behavior.

22. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Replying to hotbmwm3's post, I agree with much of what you say.

However, I also work in the car industry and have been on the other end of the 'treating journalists to get good write-ups' lark and I can categorically tell you from personal experience it doesn't always follow.

I do think readers of motoring magazines need to understand that motoring journalists are only offering an opinion, admittedly based on much better references than most of us, due to the fact they have driven more cars than we have. Nevertheless an opinion it is.

The thing iis that they view life from the perspective of theory, rather than as an owner. That tends to make them over estimate the value of the driving experience compared with the ownership experience (a generalisation, of course).

In the case of EVO magazine in the UK (and others elsewhere focused on the driving enthusiast), they tend to give a view fairly reflective of the petrolhead but they are still susceptible to what affects the rest of us - our tastes change, quite regularly too, and then sometimes they change back again!

The thing that caught my attention about the group test I mentioned is that it did reflect my own experience. As I get more familiar with the California I'm hoping it won't detract from the overall experience because it has much to offer me and seems to have a unique blend of abilities.

Sounds like you gave exactly the right advice to your friend - it seems a mistake to buy a car based on perormance figures that will be mostly irrelevant to the way the car feels and how well you will bond with it.

23. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    Luke, great to hear your comments, and great first posts! Great thread to revitalize the Cali section. While I don't have the experience of other Ferraris for comparison as you, I agree with most of your comments. MOst of all, that in the flesh, the Cali is stunning in appearance. Dont know why it doesnt photograph well. But all who've seen my car have been impressed with the looks, without exception. I personally dont mind the sacrifice in sports car performance due to the significant gains in the GT and convertible departments. However, with that said, I do look forward to seeing how the Cali "matures" in the next major release.

24. Mikael_W

Mikael_W Karting

Jul 19, 2010
    can you fit a childseatin it? saw an review were they couldn't fit the childseat in the back

25. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    FWIW, We have quite a few Californias at our C&C, and I have never heard anyone say that "they are not a real Ferrari." If it was made by Ferrari and is sold by Ferrari, its a fricken Ferrari, regardless of whether any individual enthusiast approves of the design or not.

Hey buddy, that's my old girl your driving! If anyone ever talks smack about that car, let me know and I'll stop by...

with a shiv :D