California footrest | FerrariChat

California footrest

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Defmeister, Oct 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Defmeister

Defmeister Karting

Aug 3, 2019
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Hi Guys,
    1st poster here from Scotland so please be gentle!!! Just bought my first Ferrari, a 2013 California 30, and I’m loving it. Loaded with carbon fibre goodies but just realised there is no passenger footrest like some I’ve seen. Could someone please measure theirs for me? Just the overall length and width, I intend machining a custom one for the car.
    Cheers.
    Def.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  3. Defmeister

Defmeister Karting

Aug 3, 2019
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Thanks for the reply Tom. Ive checked that thread but cant see any dimensions. As Im going with a custom design I will just do it to a size which I think looks good. I’d like to match the texture and finish on the existing pedals, and include the logo and model name on it. I’m lucky to have access to a cnc milling machine so making it is no problem. I’ll post pics when done.
    Def.

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You can read off the measurements for yourself from a photo of mine, an original Ferrari part. Sorry one ruler is not quite in perfect alignment and I seem to be still more gravitated to Imperial units but the former can be straightened with Photoshop and the latter, converted if you need. Actually, I'm not sure you need to use the same dimensions if you are fashioning your own.

OTOH, I think you would have a better setup using the Ferrari part if you want the surface texture pattern to match the dead pedal's in the driver's footwell.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MalibuGuy, ToddMick and tomc like this.
  5. Defmeister

Defmeister Karting

Aug 3, 2019
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Thats fantastic, thanks very much. My brake and accelerator (sorry, gas) pedals have a different textured finish with through holes and non-slip grooving, so I’m going to match them. I’ll make a dead pedal to match as well.

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sounds like a cool project. Post up some pics when complete.
    T

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #7 4th_gear, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Come to think of it, now that you describe your little project I recall my sales guy had a problem when I asked for aluminium foot pads in the 2 foot wells. It's been 7 years so my memory of that event's a bit dodgy but I think he might have had to get them made. If so, you're probably just doing the same thing. Here's a shot of my car's footwell in case you're wondering if there are other differences between our cars.

As you see, they're not actually matching; just the "hole" sizes and general appearance really. I suspect the throttle and brake pedals differ in texture for safety considerations as they did come that way from the factory. Similarly, the raised rims of the holes in the dead pedal and passenger foot pad were added for grip because as I seem to recall now, the factory pattern on the brake pedal couldn't be reproduced by the local supplier but maybe you can do better.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MalibuGuy likes this.
  8. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    I have a rubber dead pedal in my California T. I ordered the metal one to replace it. Is it a fairly simple install?

I am hoping I can simply lift the rubber dead pedal out and replace it, without having to pull back any of the floor lining.

9. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    I am considering doing same, can you please let me know how you fixed it ?
    Thank you,

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Howdy...i recall a few thread on the dead pedal /footrest. I'm not sure if they have the info you seek, but if you Google

site:ferrarichat.com Ferrari California dead pedal

they should be the first few hits. Best of luck...T

11. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    I have read mixed things. Some posts have said for the dead pedal on the driver side you need to actually drill the hole and others have said the holes for the screws were already there when they removed the rubber dead pedal.

I just do not want to take the rubber pedal off if it is something that requires drilling the holes. For that I would take it to a mechanic I know for exotic cars. If it is as simple as pulling it off and screwing the new pedal in with holes for the screws already there, I can do that myself. Haha

12. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    Hi Andrew Pour,
    I had the same dilemma when fitting the same footrest and dead pedal, i simply overcame the problem by using S/A Velcro tape on both, they have never moved a mm since being fitted, the bonus in using Velcro is when valeting, the foot rests are easily removed and replaced to aid the cleaning and vacuuming the carpets.
    Cheers Andrew

walman, Andrew Pour and tomc like this.
  13. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    #13 Andrew Pour, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    That is pretty interesting. I like that idea a lot. Thanks for the advice!

Did you just remove the rubber dead pedal and put strips of Velcro on the metal deal pedal?

I was thinking of putting Velcro along the borders of the pedal. Or possibly long vertical strips along the whole pedal. I actually have a few ideas on how to position the Velcro. Haha

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I requested my dealer to do the install when the car was delivered. He was very generoius and gave it to me as a delivery gift.

Andrew Leather-Barrow likes this.
  15. tcung11

tcung11 Rookie

Feb 27, 2021
    Corona Del Mar
    Full Name:
    Thanh Cung
    The driver side dead rubber pedal on my 2015 FCT fell off and apparently it was just hot glued to the carpet.
    I’m also interested in getting aluminum passenger & driver dead pedal. Please advice on where to bug them & on installation.

walman likes this.
  16. tcung11

tcung11 Rookie

Feb 27, 2021
    Corona Del Mar
    Full Name:
    Thanh Cung
    I got my pedals from https://www.ricambiamerica.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=66122200
    Part #: 66122200 and 82388200

The passenger side is very easy to install. Just remove the footrest plate (held by 4 M6 screws). You will need 4 sets of M6X20 countersunk flat head socket cap screws, M6 washers and M6 nylon locknuts to mount the footrest. The 4 pre-drilled holes on the metal plate behind the carpet are perfect match for the footrest.

The driver side is more complicated. Easiest way is to peel off the rubber footrest and use clear ShoeGoo to glue the aluminum foot rest onto the carpet. Glue 2 short M6 countersunk flat head socket cap screw (cut them short) on to the hole just for look.
    The more elaborate & secured way requires some handy work: First use an utility knife to slit out the carpet under the remove rubber dead pedal to expose the metal plate underneath. On my 2015 the lower hole lines up. I had to drill through the metal plate for the upper bolt. I cut out 2 small pieces of carbon fiber plates (1.5 mm thick ~ 2X1 inch each) drill holes on them for the screws then use JB Weld epoxy or Loctite Hysol 9340 to glue an upside down nylon locknuts onto each CF plate, on top of the drilled holes. Use plenty of epoxy around the nuts to make sure they don’t come loose. You can use regular nuts but you’ll need some Blue Loctite to keep the screws from coming loose later. Then epoxy the 2 CF plates with the glued nuts onto the metal plates underneath the slit out carpet, lining them up with the holes on the footrest and the holes on the floor metal plate.
    Basically you need to install M6 nuts to screw the 2 M6 countersunk screws onto. Hope that’s clear.

walman likes this.
  17. walman

walman Rookie

Sep 22, 2020
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Wal Smith
    Thanks to all for the info regarding the dead pedal and the footrest plate. I have a 2014 Cali 30 and am just now getting around to this project. Just by chance I have the passenger side footwell plate already removed as I was replacing a faulty fan relay. There is a fuse box hiding in behind there. I can see the 4 elongated holes in the plate that would line up with the passenger side foot rest plate. I posted a pic. So yes, it will be a simple install with the bolts, washers and nuts as stated by tcung11

Drivers side rubber dead pedal was indeed affixed in place using hot melt glue. Just peeled away when I pulled at it. Quite unimpressed with this lame factory install technique. One would think that there should be factory holes in place to line up with the metal dead pedal. But no, there isn't. Just possibly one for the lower bolt. Will see if it indeed lines up when I have the parts in hand.

So I plan to peel away the rubber pedal and use velcro. I don't want to trim away the carpet from the perimeter of the pedal. I worry it may cause issues in future. Maybe the carpet will start to peel back and create a gap?
    The other option I thought was to use some self tapping screws and drill/affix the pedal right into the body work. But I'll probably just go with the velcro. If it ever gets loose then I'll consider screws.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login