California Owners-Info Needed | FerrariChat

California Owners-Info Needed

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Redneck Slim, Mar 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I am considering buying a used Cali.
    1) MR shock life?
    2) Clutch life?
    3) Black seats-too hot in sunny weather? I have had black seats get too hot to touch with bare skin.
    4) Keyless option on T-can the car be operated without this gadget? Metal key,keyhole on door,ignition switch on steering column,no battery-powered transmission needed?
    Thanks.

2. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I can answer 2 of your questions. Clutch life in theory is the life of the car. If your clutch pack goes out you are going to have a very bad day since there are no replacement parts, your buying a new DCT. And as far as the black interior I rent a Cali T when I go to Vegas and I generally go smack dab in the middle of the summer. I rent from the same place and both cars have black interior. I personally didn't think it was that bad, yes it got hot while out of the car, but seemed to cool of fairly quickly after we got in. My wife even commented on it and said she wouldn't mind if the interior is black on what ever we get.

I'm going to guess that if you use the key to lock and unlock the door the alarm will go off and the engine will be immobilized since those functions are tied into the fob. Have no idea about the shocks but haven't seen a ton of threads complaining about premature or any shock failures so may be a non issue. The biggest issues on these cars are DCT problems on all cars 2014 and down but worse on mid 2012 down, premature engine mount failures(not uncommon for Ferraris) and top sensor failures. Then misc common Italian build characteristics. Over all they are good cars, and the 13 and 14
    cars have 30 more hp and 30 kg less then previous cars. These are the cars that are my personal favorite followed by the Cali T.

What ever you choose they are nice nice cars.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I can add to (3) above. I have a dark interior (chocolate) and have not had any issues with the top down in Texas summers. Also, I've never seen any issue here with MagneRide shocks. DCT sensors and folding hard top seem to be the two big-ticket items mentioned most often...T

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I didn't know the Cali T had a key FOB option. Mine has a key. I have ventilated and heated seats with red alcantara inserts, they don't get too hot at all here in Texas. The alcantara is cooler than the leather though.

5. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Your correct the "fob" is integrated into the key, my mistake for not making that clear.

6. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Thanks everybody. I have bad memories of black seats under the summer sun being to hot to touch,but those were Naugahyde. Maybe leather doesn't heat up so much?

7. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    We have black seats in our 2011 Cali and they don't seem hot even in the TX summers, but I do put the top up if we are going to be out of the car for some period of time.

azlin75 likes this.