California Radio install finally finished (pic heavy) | FerrariChat

California Radio install finally finished (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Andrew Leather-Barrow, Mar 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    #1 Andrew Leather-Barrow, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Hi Guys,
    Well its only been 4 months in the making but i have finally finished the new radio install to the California.
    I chose a Pioneer Avic z920 DAB as it is the top of the range unit on the market today, it features wireless Apple CarPlay, front and rear camera inputs and a mind blowing great sound.
    I was originally going to change out the speakers for Bose pro range but after pressing the auto interior acoustic button (the stereo maps the interior with sound blasts and alters the graphic equaliser, base and loudness to suit the vehicle interior) i cannot possibly think that the sound will be any better so i kept the original speakers.
    I had a couple of gizmos made to enhance the integration of the system, the camera now on start up shows the front view for 10 seconds (from when the engine is started before connecting CarPlay) when you put the car into reverse the camera shows as normal but when you shift into 1st gear the front camera automatically turns on for 10 seconds then goes back to what ever screen you were one prior.
    Everything is hands free including dictation of messages in text message and what’s app with the exception of answering a phone call, this function can only be set to auto answer which is not desirable for me as i regularly need to swerve certain people :)
    To get round this i installed a wireless remote on the Center console bridge which controls all of functions of the steering wheel controls (which are fully retained and working) but more importantly lets me answer /decline or make a call.
    The remote is wired into the car and looks like a factory item (when i took the car into service at the local Ferrari agent all the technicians cooed :p)
    At the rear of the arm rest i fitted a wireless charger for my iPhone which has a magnetic mount that hold it securely in place even when taking off at the lights at warp speed.
    I fitted mood lights into the driver and passenger foot wells there are infinite colours with infinite mode adjustments i chose to have them lit red on a steady glow (it’s a marmite thing) the look when driving in the evening is really subtle and pleasing to the eye.
    I also had black leather floor mats made to measure with red diamond stitching matched to the interior stitching colour these look amazing and also protect the carpets from our really bad weather over here in the UK 100%.
    I fitted alloy foot plates foot rest and dead pedal over the leather mats.
    Please see the pictures - Enjoy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

stegefal, MarylandGuy, tomc and 2 others like this.
  2. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    AD211 likes this.
  3. scriber17

scriber17 Karting

Oct 30, 2008
    Manhattan, NYC
    Full Name:
    Tang
    What front camera did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    Hi Scriber,
    I used a Pioneer BC8, it’s almost looks identical to the sensors

Cheers

NicoFerrari likes this.
  5. Federal man

Federal man Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Mark Higinbotham
    Very impressive...thanks for sharing!

Andrew Leather-Barrow likes this.
  6. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    res1afbe, Sammi, RamsHmb and 3 others like this.
  7. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    It looks great but it seems that with the amount of work that was done you put dash and steering wheel on the wrong side.

That’s all I got. o_O US humor.

Looks great!

8. MarylandGuy

MarylandGuy Rookie

Jul 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul L
    Hi Andrew - really amazing full coverage floor mats. Where do you get these made?

9. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Awesome work! I had thought about upgrading my head unit but keep putting it off. You knocked it out of the park with this one!

10. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    Many thanks Russ, I appreciate it

Hi Maryland Guy,
    Again many thanks for the compliments really appreciated, the mats were made from a seller on AliExpress they fitted like a glove right out of the box and were amazing value for money $80 usd Delivered (7 day).

Here we go

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. MarylandGuy

MarylandGuy Rookie

Jul 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul L
    Shocking they are so inexpensive. I wonder if they would work with diamond pattern seats? I really love the look with the steel plates... best looking cali interior I've seen. Amazing job.

12. Daniel N

Daniel N Rookie

Jul 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Daniel Nordenbaek
    Very good post:). I am also looking into changing out my OEM radio.
    Question, did you use mont kit part 70003476?
    I would assume this part is necessary to be able to fit an aftermarket radio into the dash, using the other steel frame from this kit or?
    Also I would need this kit for the wire conversion?

13. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    Hi Daniel,
    The mount kit is extremely expensive and not necessary, I cut the top of the original mount then re attached it at the right height using ties, mount the radio in its position then simply clamp down the ties sandwiching the radio securely in place.
    Use the wire kit that i used and jobs a good un :)

Cheers

greg328 and Daniel N like this.
  14. sondiego

sondiego Rookie

Sep 28, 2020
    Hello, your car looks amazing! Where did you get the metal plate that goes on top of the floor mats? Thanks!

15. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    I purchased the metal plate off Ebay, they are alloy and come in a brushed finish £20.00 each, i covered the foot plates in clear 3m PPF to avoid scratching from grit etc on shoes.
    The Ferrari emblems were then added they are the side wing/fender cavalino badges that are alloy and stove enamelled.
    The foot rests are from Hill engineering (UK)

I hope this helps
    Cheers Andrew

16. sondiego

sondiego Rookie

Sep 28, 2020
    Do you have a link to those items? Thanks so much!

17. Lioncre

Lioncre Rookie

Oct 14, 2018
    Hi,
    I would like to do the same for an aftermarket 2DIN Android device, but the length is shorter that the hole, where did you find the 2 black parts on left hand side and right hand side to fill the gap ?

18. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    They are blanking plates which are generic and can be purchased from any audio retail outlet

19. Lioncre

Lioncre Rookie

Oct 14, 2018
    Do you the size or a reference ?

20. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
  21. FerroFF

FerroFF Rookie

Apr 17, 2021
    Austin Tx
    Full Name:
    Pedro M Perez
    Hello Andrew I know it has been a while since this however do you have the links to the parts list used on this? I have a 2012 FF and want to do this badly please. [email protected] is my email if you rather communicate this way.

22. testtest1234

testtest1234 Rookie

Sep 8, 2021
    Andrew on the wireless charger did you just run the cord underneath to connect to the ciagrette charger?

23. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    I ran a fused piggy back connected to the fuse box under the cover

24. testtest1234

testtest1234 Rookie

Sep 8, 2021
    wait there is a fuse box under there? If so could you pls advise:

1. Any chance you can take a pic of under the cover on what you connected?
    2. What charger did you use?

25. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    Yes there is a fuse box under there, purchase a piggyback micro fuse tail and use it, i purchased the charger from ebay, any flavour will work take your pick, there are scores of choice.
    My car is garaged at my home in Portugal, i am now in the UK so cannot take photos for you.

Cheers Andrew