California reliability? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

California reliability?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ItsThaMonsta, Oct 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Early engine and transmission mount failure is also common so have your mechanic inspect at annual service and pay attention to any weird vibrations at idle and slow speed.

Personally I only look at 2013 and up mainly because it seems like the Transmission issues are less and I haven’t heard of any transmission issues on California T. Plus the 2013-2014 cars have a hp bump from previous California models and are still naturally asperated. This is not to say that earlier models are junk but there were a decent chunk that had/have expensive sensor failures in the transmission.

David hsu, MalibuGuy and tomc like this.
  2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I much prefer the Cali interior over the Maserati. I considered buying a Maserati but not after I got a chance to compare the interiors never mind the performance.

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael

That's funny, I went through the exact same process. ;)

I was actually at the dealer to check out a Maserati, which went OK but then I saw the Cali and after getting into one and then driving it, there was no comparison, the Cali is completely different design and performance levels. The Maserati impressed but the Cali made me giggle and the interior has the exotic appeal of a supercar, the Maserati interior is unique but is not at that level.

I also test drove an F430 Spider but IMO it has a dated interior which did not appeal to me and I would only be able to do 45-60 minutes per fun drive, maybe 2 hours under duress. Unlike the Cali, the F430 is only "happy" above 4000 rpm and is always loud while the Cali can be either civil or loud. From personal experience, cars that need to be revved hard to enjoy are speeding-ticket magnets.

IMO, the regular Gallardo is crude, potentially unreliable, a bad choice if compared to a Cali. However, if you are a gearhead and can get into fixing and modding your own car, some of the special Gallardo models would suit you better than a Cali if you have the money and time to mess about and take risks with a more expensive car.

4. FERRARI STRAP

FERRARI STRAP Rookie

Mar 13, 2023
    Full Name:
    James Gilstrap
    I just logged in to see what is going on in exotic cars now. It is 2023 March. I am a collector that has been all over the map in my favorite cars. Some say Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, my favorite is the one I drove last. I never go to the top price cars of Exotics I give them a year or so to lose some of the original price. I have lots of fun with 15 to 5 year exotics. All just as beautiful, not daily drivers, but really fun to drive and show off. I have found out the cars well cared for and not abused are much easier to maintain than the race track examples. I started off thinking antique cars would excite me. I did not take long to decide I did not want to go to car shows sit around all day and trailer my cars home till the next show. I wanted to drive them. So I brought several cars that I admired in my youth but could not afford. That did not do it. Then I bought a Ferrari just to test the waters, a Ferrari 360, then a F430 2006, then a Bentley, then a couple Porsches. Enjoyed them all. Now I am going backwards. I do not race them. I enjoy the sound, the feel, the looks I get. Now I am going for 4 Ferrari 458 spiders, 1 ferrari 458 Coupe, 3 Ferrari California's two early ones then two of the California T.s. I am retired and was very fortunate in my work and could afford this direction. I did not and never will be a dealer and have cars to sell for a profit. I do not see a material, other than price, difference in the amount of trouble you have with all cars. I have had cars with bad names, Jaguars, with hundred plus miles and never a problem, I have had a Bentley that lived in the shop. I give my cars love and care. If you can not afford and understand American cars will cost less to keep than foreign exotics. Do not buy them. I am now in love with 1958 Corvettes Carbon fiber entire molded bodies with modern chasse from Corvette donor's cars are unbelievable, They are the real attention getters I get when I drive the down the road. If I drive one to dinner a valet drove his Bentley to another spot to put my CRC 1958 Corvette front and center. People came from all over to take pictures and browse at the car.
    If you want a tough vehicle, that is one path, If you want a economical vehicle lots of those, if you want luxury and can afford it buy it, if you want beauty, fun, excitement and can afford and will take care of it that is the Exodic and buy it enjoy and then later try another beauty. Or like crazy collectors that can afford it have fun but know there is lots of work involved and expensive. Porsche best drivers, Ferrari best name and fame and fun. In-between lots of great cars to enjoy.

5. FERRARI STRAP

FERRARI STRAP Rookie

Mar 13, 2023
    Full Name:
    James Gilstrap
    itsthamonster I notice you had a California and Lamborghini in 2017 do you still have them and how did the do for you. I also have Cal and Lambo love them