california t apple carplay retrofit | FerrariChat

california t apple carplay retrofit

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by islandtrader, Sep 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    is this possible?

2. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    there was at least one thread here a while ago of something doing it, I believe in Hong Kong

It's possible, involves changing the head unit/bezel to a CP unit, and running a CP cable to the center console, and then programming. I would imagine just doing that is expensive enough with the components, let alone the labor to R&R the unit.

3. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    What about doing it with the stock unit already? Can you just reprogram the unit?

4. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I don't honestly know.

I would believe the official answer will be "NFW", as Ferrari (over)charges for the option, and i'd suspect Harman (the OEM) and Apple would want to get their piece of the action

I do not know what, if any, hardware/firmware/software differences exist in the units, BEYOND the Apple CarPlay button on the bezel, and the dedicated CarPlay USB port.

So far I have not seen any OEM offer Apple or Android "updates" to existing units, likely due to commercial/licensing reasons and some actual technical reasons.

We now have 3 cars with CarPlay. Overall, for what it does, it's great. With iOS 10, the maps are actually better (but still far behind WAZE), the Siri interface is really improved, and it offers a lot of "convenience" - i.e. being able to grab an address from calendar to add to navigation. iOS 10 also enables using it wirelessly if the car is setup for it, though I find that interesting but not relevant since heavy use in the car (music, nav, et al) drains the battery, might as well have it plugged in and charging.

Having said that, the number of apps is very limited; the single app I think people would like is Waze but that will never happen. For what it does, it does well, but it also does very little...

Came standard (no cost) on our VW Golf, was punitively expensive on the F cars. To me, I personally would not find the value of having it worth the considerable expense of doing a retrofit.

5. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    Does wireless CarPlay work with your F cars equipped with the option? I'm really hoping it does support it.

I have not upgraded my iOS to 10 yet because as engineer I don't upgrade to first .0 releases.

6. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I have iOS 10, and Apple CarPlay in my California T. It does not work wirelessly right now. Maybe an upgrade that will make it work wirelessly. Would be cool if it did.

I really like CarPlay over the default entertainment interface.

I do not know if you can add. I'm confident there are after market 3rd party options.

7. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    No wireless in F cars.

I think BMW just started delivering some of their models (2 series) with wireless enabled.

IMHO, I use the plug to keep it charged so wireless is less relevant to me, others may prefer it.

8. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    No wireless in my 2015 Cali T. I was one of the first builds to get CarPlay so maybe some of the newer head units will support it...

9. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Personally I hate CarPlay. With over 18,000 miles on my T it interferes with other apps operation. It has a single volume control over everything so if you turn down the music and get a phone call you must turn up the volume SIGNIFICANTLY to hear the call! It forces you to use the Apple map software which is crap compared to what you already have in the head. Since I am on my third California and my second FF I can say that no future new Ferrari will have CarPlay! On the T I use the regular USB connector to play music from my phone and the Bluetooth for the telephone, that all works perfectly, without stupid CarPlay.

10. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Rick, I reported that volume issue to Ferrari back in February of 2015... it still plagues those of us who have CarPlay. :(

11. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I think it is in the CarPlay software in the phone itself? Note the iOS 10 post I did yesterday with my FF, when trying to connect the music through Bluetooth it totally locks up the radio display and all controls, not a CarPlay car though. I'm getting pretty tired of Apple crap and hopefully the Pixel grows to something way better and I will switch away from stupid Apple.

12. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred

It's possible. I did it at Japan and is a complete replacement of the info unit and re-program. It's not wireless but not sure now as I did it 1 year ago

13. AgeRebel

AgeRebel Karting

Apr 29, 2008
    US Pacific NW
    Fair warning that this post will conclude disappointingly but feel its worth documenting in this thread for the sake of others who might be curious.

I've been looking into retrofitting CarPlay for the 2017 California T which has the factory Infotainment with Navi but without CarPlay. The Ferrari Genuine 2019-19 Genuine Accessories - Out of Range Models Out of Range Car Models catalogue lists the availability of CarPlay Kit for the California T:
    https://auto.ferrari.com/en_EN/ferrari-genuine-accessories/equipments/000000000000016/detail/P000000260/
    1. My local AD quoted ~USD17K for the parts to do the retrofit which involves replacing the Becker NIT unit, Remote Display, Panel with buttons (bezel) and lots of cables, connectors and miscellaneous items.
    2. Sourcing from an independent parts supplier, the total cost for parts in this kit is ~USD10K
    This is a long way off what it reportedly cost @fc3288 when the AD in Japan did the retrofit. It made me think that there must be a sane way to get CarPlay on the existing Infortainment unit which is after all a display interface for iOS devices. The OEM unit is essentially the Harman/Becker VP4 running a proprietary derivative of Android Auto: https://www.android.com/auto/ with Ferrari's UI. Software updates are available only through the AD (mine was recently updated to the latest ver). I'm miffed that Ferrari does not offer the CarPlay as a feature app even at a premium. I'm willing to pay the usual outrageous mark-ups, much in the way they asked ~USD600 for map data updates for legacy Navi, but not $10K~$17K for the hardware solution.

This led me to looking at aftermarket CarPlay retrofit kits which are aplenty along two approaches:
    1. Android Auto app ("Autokit" in this example) and connecting to USB through an adapter (my guess; to scale the video data signal): https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-CarPlay-Adapter-for-Android-Car-head-unit-Plug-and-Play-for-Touch-screen-EC/362591952397
    2. Video adapter with "controller": https://www.navtool.com/carplay-2.aspx . NavTool have developed vehicle specific solutions for Lamborghini, Maserati and others.
    Disappointingly, I've not found a solution that will work with the Ferrari Infotainment system and no suggestion of any in development. It is likely that this is considered a risky pursuit with the likelihood of incurring the wrath of Ferrari's lawyers. Ferrari should consider offering a CarPlay app with one of the many adapter options currently available for some equitable cost to cover development. Other than that, perhaps a clever software engineer will come to our rescue. Be very interested to hear from any experience of others...

14. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    Cfr one of my previous posts, Carplay does not work properly on the California (and other models).
    I have had plenty of issues mainly due to the poor quality of the infotainment system (usb power issues) and the lack of Ferrari updates to match new iOs verisons. You do not want to spend that much money on carplay. Really not.

AgeRebel likes this.