California T seat height | FerrariChat

California T seat height

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Bullfighter, May 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’m considering whether to order a 911/992 or looking into a California T. Due to a spinal cord injury 5 years ago, I have some difficulty getting into tall cars (SUVs…) and really low cars. I am able to exit a 911/991 — not gracefully, but I can do it. For those who have been in both a California and a modern 911, did you find the former to be lower?

I’ve tried to find seat height data on both cars, and Google failed me… if you have the seat height that would be of great help.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I have a cranky back and I find it easier to get into & out of our Cali (a 2011) than our 911 (also a 2011).

The Porsche is lower, by at least a few inches if I had to guess, than the Cali. The Cali is in for service, so I can't measure...T

3. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Tom, thank you. I’m going to head over to Ferrari Newport Beach tomorrow and try the seat test. They have 1 or 2 there.

4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Jon, great to hear that you're looking into a new ride. I've gone from a 991 cab to a California 30 back to a 991 cab and now in a Cali T and I can definitely say that the California is a bit easier to get in and out of compared to a 911. I believe the seating position is actually slightly higher in the California (I am fairly tall (6'0 190 lbs) and usually have the seat as low as it will go in terms of height but have definitely noticed that in the 991 I was sort of falling/collapsing into the seat more than I do than in the Cali ;)

tomc likes this.
  5. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes, definitely felt like I was wallowing in the 991 seat, although I had raised it to the highest setting.

Maybe the Cali seat is firmer? I have noticed that new 911s are a bit cushier than my 993 was.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I have not noticed any difference in cushy-ness between the Cali and 911 seats - both are full electric - but I do find that for me it takes a while to dial in the various lumbar support knobs to where it is most comfortable (least uncomfortable?). For the first year or so, the Cali was more painful experience, but then I found the right lumbar/seat settings, and it is now more comfortable IMO than our 997.2S. Of course, none of them beat the upright seating position of our pickup trucks! :D

Good luck in your tests. Let us know how they turn out...T

7. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Not sure about the softness, for me it's something to do with the distance I have to drop into the 991 seat and perhaps the door opening ... I test drove a 992 recently and was surprised at the effort it took to get in and out of the car compared to the Cali T ... I'm not THAT old at 57 but then again, I'm not particularly flexible, either.

I sat in an Alfa Romeo 4C at a dealership a few years ago and was slightly terrified that I might have to buy the car if I couldn't manage to get out of it ;)

tomc and Bullfighter like this.
  8. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That’s how the 991 felt. There were no 992s at the dealer because they can’t get them — microchip shortage.

I’m 54 11/12, so definitely middle-aged.

Will be old next month.

vjd3 likes this.
  9. mcw

mcw Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    My Cali T is easier for me to get into and out of than my Porsche. You definitely should try the seats for comparison. The Cali T seat design was changed from the earlier seat to reduce the side bolsters in both the seat and squab which makes ingress and egress easier. And the Porsches have three seat options so you should try them all.

If you visit Ferrari Newport Beach, you may wish to call ahead and make an appointment. Cars on the website may be over at the service center being prepped for showroom.

10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    BF, so happy for you making this step back into a fun car....return of a FChat legend.

I hope a Cali T can fit your needs, would be much more satisfying than a 911.

11. mcw

mcw Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Those responsible for decisions on riding in the rear seats in a Cali helpfully may be informed by the Owner's Manual. For example, the 2016 Cali T Owner's Manual on page 47 says "Only persons who are less than 59 in. (1.50 m) tall may travel in the rear seat." and "Any person taller than 59 in. (1.5 m) traveling in the rear seat risks serious injury in the event of an accident." There is much advice on type and placement of baby seats in the rear found in the Owner's Manual also.