California test drive @ Ferrari of Silicon Valley | FerrariChat

California test drive @ Ferrari of Silicon Valley

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by santacruzn, Oct 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. santacruzn

santacruzn Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Grace
    Hi,

I received an email from Ferrari inviting me to test drive the California at Ferrari of Silicon Valley in Redwood City. The dates are from Oct 22 through Nov 14.

I will be there between 11:00 and 12:30 this Thursday. I trust you all current Northern California Ferrari owners will receive an invitation as well.

I am looking forward to it! My only other Ferrari driving experience has been my '87 328.

Bill

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Nice one mate. :):)

Please share your thoughts on the car with us when you can. :):)

Oh, and pics too! We love pics around here. :D:D

3. santacruzn

santacruzn Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Grace
    #3 santacruzn, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,

This was the first time that I had visited Ferrari of Silicon Valley and it was a very positive experience. I had test driven the Porsche Panamera at Quail in August and they required several forms filled out, copies of your driver's license, etc. before they would let you drive the car. I was prepared for that and more to test drive a car worth at least 2.5 times what the Porsche was worth. But, I met with Jason who is a salesperson there, we chatted a bit and he said are you ready let's go. Jason also told me that this was the first time ever that Ferrari of Silicon Valley had ever offered test drives and that the California that we drove was a demo specifically for that purpose.

Jason drove first to demonstrate the controls and then he let me drive. My drive was shorter because I was splitting the test drive with a guest. This was the first time I had driven a Ferrari with the F1 shifting and the experience was breathtaking. My feeling that I that I would never want an F1 and would always prefer a manual transmission was seriously undermined. As I said my drive was all too short but the sound of the California shifting at 8,000 rpm in a blink (while blipping the throttle between the gears thank you) will live with me for a long time. The California may be heavy and have ONLY 450 HP but it is a seriously fast car. Count me among the converted.

I am including a photo of the car we drove. My guest was 6' 5" and he fit easily into the car.

Bill
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Fantastic Bill. Thanks for sharing mate. :):)

I have also yet to drive an F1 and I prefer stick but when the time comes to buy a newer Ferrari I will test drive both and decide from there. :):)

After driving one, would you consider owning one? :D:D

5. marks308GTB

marks308GTB Karting

Jun 6, 2004
    Los Altos Hills, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Mark S.
    I drove the California today at Ferrari of SV with Jason.

A very positive experience. And I liked the car.

Comments on the transmission: this is a dual-clutch transmission which is very different from the older F1 trannie. This one shifts almost instantly. And drives almost equivalent to a regular torque converter automatic. But it shifts faster and firmer. I like this trannie a lot more than any of the previous F1 trannies on either a Ferrari or the other brands.

The jury is still out on how long the clutch packs will last.

Mark

6. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing Mark! :):)

7. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    According to ferrari the clutches last 4evAr!!!!11! Seriously though glad you had a great time. Definitely a little jealous.