California Title Help for my 74 Dino | Page 2 | FerrariChat

California Title Help for my 74 Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by Neelfryer, Apr 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John

yes -

i have considered

"moving"

to montana

if you get my

drift

2. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
  3. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    i finally have my plates

it was a bit of a fun ordeal to figure out how to put the plate on the back of the dino

i am very happy

i just registered it with the

dino registry

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Can you share how you did it?

Matt

5. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    Please feel free to move to The Free State of Nevada. Just don't bring California craziness with you. Too many people from California want to change Nevada to East California. Embrace the freedom that Nevada offers; no State income tax, sales tax is lower, property taxes in general are lower than California, real estate prices are lower, and Nevadans generally mind their own business.

6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  7. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    I just moved from California, where I'd lived nearly all of my 37 years, to Washington. Went to the local WA state department of licensing to get a new driver's license. Was in and out, task completed in 20 minutes, with no appointment. I've never spent less than an hour at a CA DMV, even with an appointment.

Additionally, none of my cars (even my newest daily -- a 2002 Mazda) will need to pass any kind of emissions testing in the county I live in. My classic cars are able to be registered several years at a time for the cost of a single year. Even if I did live in a county requiring emissions testing, it would only be for 2009 and newer vehicles and the cost is just $15 with one free retest. I usually paid $50-70 for each test in CA.

I talked about leaving CA for years and my only regret it is that I didn't move sooner. It's a very pretty state with very ugly policy and people.

8. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John

Matt - happy share

not sure if you mean the physical placement of the plate on the car - lol

which included removing that panel inside the trunk and then taking out the 2 top corner screws of the silver rectangular frame and leaving the bottom two in

but loosening them so you could pull the frame away from the top and slide the plate inside ...

yeah i didn't think so

I found a guy named John who has a DMV services company in North Hollywood

and he came to my house and was able to verify the VIN for the state of CA

as my car has zero records in CA

meaning he ran the VIN through a database search that he has access to and found that the state of CA

has never seen this car - it has never been registered or titled in CA

he also explained to me that state to state the DMV's don't communicate

meaning - NY doesn't alert CA that a car was sold by a dealer to a guy who lives in CA

I'm sure the dealer I got it from filed a release of liability form - telling the state of NY that he no longer owned the car

so...

after this guy John found that CA had never had any records of this car existing in the state of CA

he took the Arizona title that I had amongst the many pieces of DMV paperwork that I had

(in truth the car had been through 3 auctions - and sold at 2 of them and was a no sale at the last one)

but the dealer that had the car - had the "chain of title" - but not an actual new york title

because he didn't want to tell NY what he paid for it

so my guy john

used the arizona title tp fill out the chain of all the guys/dealers/companies that had owned the car SINCE its 2015 Arizona title and ended the chain

with me

at that point - we agreed on a price that i had paid for the car and i paid tax on that number

(he pointed out to me that on the front of the Arizona title there was a sale price of 13k printed from a computer read out)

he also told me that the state of CA had not idea what shape the car was in when i bought it - or if it even ran

so the next day

I went to his office in North Hollywood

and he logged into the CA DMV server that he has legal use of as a third party business

and registered and titled my car and I paid the appropriate fees

and he handed me LICENSE PLATES

i never saw the DMV

i didn't have to bring the DINO there for the CA VIN inspection and I didn't have to go there and surrender a bunch of auction paperwork

that would have shown some scary math

i saved a brand new BMW 3 series by finding this guy

he was lovely and his business is 100% legit

Rory J likes this.
  9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thanks for the update!

Matt

10. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    CA DMV purges any records they have of vehicles that haven't been registered in the last 3-5 years (don't recall if it's 5yrs or 3yrs), so to the DMV even if you present an old CA title, to them the car doesn't exist. I ran into this when I had to xfr several not-registered-in-a-long-time cars into a living trust.

Also, any police office can do a VIN verification, as well as the DMV or any one certified to perform that function.

By the way, please

stop

double

spacing

your

posts.

Very annoying having to scroll thru 12" of a post that should only take up 2".

11. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    HMB - apologies - did not mean to annoy - I belong to another forum where the text is small and tight and if you don't at least double space your posts- people can go cross eyed trying to read more than 2 lines - so again I apologize - but I also warn in advance that if I do it again by habit it's unintentional - cheers

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Double spacing, is just as bad as continuous single spacing, try 1 1/2.

Regards, Alberto

Neelfryer likes this.
  13. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Apology not necessary. I enjoy your posts but often skip them because of all the scrolling required
    Alberto, I have not found where the line spacing can be set in forum preferences. Perhaps you could provide guidance so others can set their preferred default.

14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I do not know either, so I'll keep writing same way. Not e.e. cummings, but reasonable.
    Possibly someone else will know.

Regards, Alberto