California Trunk issues | FerrariChat

California Trunk issues

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Topless, Oct 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Topless

Topless Rookie

Oct 1, 2014
    2010 California lower trunk latch motor stuck in open (up) position. Dash light shows trunk open, top will not close.

Tried lock/unlock on remote (Did not work)

Tried Closing top latch, pressing trunk down and attempting to close top, trunk open fault still will not allow top to close!

Replaced fuse, switched out relay. Nothing. What am I missing?

Lower trunk motor harness has 5 wires going in to it. Assume GR is 12v Pos, GB is 12V-. Trying to fool system to make it think trunk is closed. anyone know which of the three remaining wires I could jump to indicate a closed trunk and get top up?

Thoughts on removing lower motor, and energizing motor with 12 volts to lower latch. then re-installing to reset system and trying to close roof.

Should I manually close top latch to ensure it is released when top starts to close??

Could it be a bad connection from top to lower latch and the lower motor is not getting a signal that the trunk needs to be pulled down? how can I check that?

Not anyplace near a dealer, really do not want to risk hours of driving with out being able to put top up if weather turns.

Any one know of a website with basic wire diagram of trunk top system?

Help!

2. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I can't help you but I wish you success and would like to bump your thread.

Best of luck.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    It may be worth your while taking a look in the California section (car not geographic) to see if any similar issues have been previously reported & resolved

4. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    I suspect it's a physical rather than electrical problem, I had the same as I opened the trunk with the car cover on top, the weight caused the latch to partially engage while open then stopping it from closing and latching

You can move the grey plastic part in the latch to return it to open mode (push to the right from memory) so you can the shut the trunk and it will/ hold function OK for both opening and roof cycle

5. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    If you look in Cali section, there is a trunk reset process - something like hold trunk and unlock button on key fob for 5 seconds together and it resets roof and trunk.

6. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Holy thread resurrection!
    PO made 1 post 3 years ago and mia since 2016

7. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Yuuuup! Idea is to help someone who stumble on this thread much later :)

Soooo.... I looked at the reset process and it says to hold unlock and trunk open button for 30 seconds to reset roof and trunk.

spaghetti_jet likes this.
  8. Mcnett

Mcnett Rookie

Aug 7, 2022
    Thank you so much for bumping this thread and giving me the reset sequence!!! I’ve had my California for only 3 weeks and it did that exact thing and because of you I had it fixed (once I found this thread) in less than a minute!

spaghetti_jet likes this.
  9. walman

walman Rookie

Sep 22, 2020
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Wal Smith
    #9 walman, Jun 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
    Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know I stumbled across this thread when I was searching for a solution to this issue. Today when I was about to drive the car, I noticed that the unlock trunk button on the remote was not unlocking the trunk. So then I tried to use the interior trunk unlock button and it also did not unlock the trunk. And I thought that was very strange.

I was able to unlock using the key.

So I fired up the car and proceeded to open up the roof.
    It got about halfway done and I got an error saying roof open malfunction or something like that. I don't recall the exact message. So I tried it a couple more times and the same thing kept happening. I suspected it had something to do with the fact that the trunk lock mechanism was having an issue just a few seconds earlier. Turns out it was definitely related.
    The first thing I did was check and swap all three fuses and relays connected to the trunk. But the trunk still wouldn't open remotely or with the interior button.

Thankfully I was able to stumble across this thread and find out about the reset function. I tried doing this several times over but it just wasn't working. I had the trunk open I had the doors open then I tried closing the trunk and so forth.

Finally I decided to close the trunk close the doors and lock the car using the remote fob.

I waited about 30 seconds , then I pressed the unlock button and the trunk open button at the same time for 5 seconds.

I then unlocked the car using the fob, and it worked! I also tried using the interior trunk unlock switch, and that also worked. I tried it a few times, closing the trunk and unlocking it with button and fob and it's all good. Then I tried to open the roof, and it opened up without an issue.

Funny thing is, I had already booked an appointment to go and see my local exotic car mechanic. Thankfully I had the notion to try locking the car first and set the alarm, before trying the reset.

Just saved myself the time and trouble of bringing the car in, which would have been 2 weeks away from today, in the middle of summer. And that means 2 weeks of no topless driving.

And as always, I thank all the Ferrari owners out there that take the time to contribute and help us all out.

10. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    This is a very common issue. Cycling the door locks can resolve a lot of issues. I have done many times. Glad you shared your experience.