California vs 458 | FerrariChat

California vs 458

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by rainforest, Jul 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rainforest

rainforest Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Even though I've owned my California for a couple of months now, I keep looking at the 458 and think it's sexier in some way. I think it's a combination of the glass covered mid engine, together with the more aggressive styling. Does anybody else wish they had waited for the 458?

I'm guessing the 458 would have a similar driving feel. It uses a similar transmission, but is lower to the ground. I'm not sure how uncomfortable the suspension is though.

2. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Will be test driving the 458 at the track on the 20th - it is the launch of it in Western Australia. I have had my California for 2.5 months and love it - think the 458 will be a lot more hardcore and maybe not a daily driver although the gearbox should be a lot easier than it's predecessors. Will let you know how it goes.

3. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    The 458 really doesn't appeal to me, it looks good but doesn't have that visceral attraction. The 599 on the other hand mesmerizes me. I just stand at the dealership looking at it . Something about the lines on that car.

4. rainforest

Apr 14, 2010
    It just seems to me that the 458 is more exotic looking. And isn't the 458 a much more exclusive car with lower production numbers?

5. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    This was my dilemma before signing off on contract. Dealer asked me a final time if I wanted to buy the cali or 458. Cali is jan 2011 prod march delivery but 458 goes till 2014... but I do wonder if when it arrives I will wish I had gotten the 458 and hate the feeling that I may be getting the second best... but then I suspect if I have the 458, I will also wish I had taken the California... darn... but they are worlds apart. One is a new gen F car GT the other is a new model in an existing category replacing the 430 MR high rev... the California is unproven as a model lineup as it is the first V8 front engined 2+2 and many first so it is a test model sort of... filling a niche that's missing.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    RF- There will probably be more 458s built than Californias. The 458 is Ferrari's mainstream performance car, which has always sold better than the comtemporary GTs. 17,000 360s vs 6000 550/575M/Superamericas. The same for the F430 and derivatives vs the 612 and 599. The California is a new entry in the GT class at a lower price range than previous V12 GTs, but the 458 will likely outsell it 2:1 in my opinion.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

7. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    in terms of exclusivity and rarity, the California will probably win... I have yet to see more than 4 around town given the 100 that was sold... the 458 already sold 400??? while the California hasn't reached half of 400... maybe 150 so far... in my town...

8. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    They are worlds apart to drive which is no small part due to the engine position. Ferrari have tuned the Cali for a much softer ride quailty and it rolls noticeably under hard cornering as a result. The 458 is set up to corner flat and you can really attack bends at much higher speeds with greater confidence. The 458 also has a considerable power advantage and is ferociously fast when let of the leash.

9. rainforest

Apr 14, 2010
    Hmm. I'm surprised everybody is saying the California is more exclusive. I would have thought that the California's lower price point as well as wider appeal as an everyday car would make it outsell the 458. As well, wikipedia says that the California will boost Ferrari annual production by 50%.

My dealer said the wait time for the California is about 10 months, while the 458 is 12 to 18 months.

I've never sat in a 458 yet, but I still don't quite understand why the California would be more of an every day car than the 458. To me, the California rides much stiffer than the Mercedes i've owned in the past.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    RF- I did not say the California is more exclusive, just that there is more demand for what has been Ferrari's traditional go-fast, mid-engine car, now the 458. That is why it will sell in larger numbers. For the first time in memory, the California has drug in a whole slew of new buyers because it is a real Ferrari in all the best meanings of the term, but is completely practical for a daily driver. It rides more stiffly than most Mercedes because it is way more sporty than the sedan based Mercedes hot rods. (I am not talking about the SLS.) The 458 will have a better ride than an F430 or Scud thanks to the Magneride shocks, but will ride stiffer than the California because it will be capable of higher cornering forces and needs stiffer suspenion control to do that.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

11. jenniferq

jenniferq Formula 3

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    While I love the look of the 458, I never considered one because I can't drop the kids off at school, put groceries in it, go over speedbumps well, etc. I am one of the slew of new F owners "drug" into the brand. I have always dreamed of a Ferrari, but until the Cali came around thought I'd have to wait till all the kids were off at college.

My hubby was interested in the 458, but ultimately decided not to buy one given its lack of suitability as a DD. Now some of you would use it that way, but he would worry way too much about it each time he parked it somewhere. It just how he is! I don't even pretend to try to drive "his" boat!

FWIW...

12. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Apples and oranges...
    One is a soft and comfy GT cruiser,best compared with MB SL which is probably the closest in concept,the other is a hard core sports car with a different purpose altogether....
    Best option would be to have both,otherwise it comes down to priorities.

13. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    What about the 612 Scag? :eek:

This, two different cars.

14. rainforest

Apr 14, 2010
    I would love to have both, but someone's going to have to give me a good stock tip quick!

SkiFreak likes this.
  15. jenniferq

jenniferq Formula 3

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Short APPL!

16. jenniferq

jenniferq Formula 3

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Correct me if I'm wrong, as new to the brand, obviously, but : DVD Player, iPod connectivity, warranty, hard top convertible, front engine V8 with 453 hp, big trunk, hard top convertible...oh, I already said that.

17. jenniferq

jenniferq Formula 3

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Not even close to an MB.

My priorities definitely went for 4 seats and hardtop conv over 2 and coupe´.

Have you driven either? Curious to know real comparisons. Definitely think the GT would be "comfier" after my ride in a Scud, as these seats hold me tighter than my mother ever did and the Scud was very close to the ground and rough. Depends as you said on priorities and how one intends to use it.

18. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Hahahah, oh man, that was brilliant :D

19. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Different cars altogether. I have not driven a 458, yet. Nevertheless, I have had quite a bit of seat time in a 360 and 430. They are both awesome, just designed for different purposes than the California. IMO, the Cali provides the best of both worlds. It is indeed comfy around town in comfort mode. It becomes more ferocious when in sport mode with considerably less roll. I am very curious to see how Ferrari is going to design a drop top 458. Once I had my 360 spider, I don't think I could ever go back to a coupe!

20. jenniferq

jenniferq Formula 3

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    No offense to my mother! She was a good one, but those Daytona seats are huggy bears!

21. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    They're very different cars to drive. The 458 is nervous and edgy and actually not easy to drive steady at 30mph. It's got very sensitive throttle response and I found it quite hard to keep the same speed. As a DD in urban environments that would be annoying. But the car really comes into its own above 70mph. Fantastic car, I loved it.

The California is much more relaxed in demeanor. But it's still a Ferrari and that means it's nothing like a Mercedes Benz grand tourer to drive. My dealer also commented on this the other day, when he mentioned he drove the Cali to a track day in the morning and the 458 back in the evening. He said the 458 just needs more speed before it starts to settle.

The previous poster commented on the upcomng 458 spider. This will also tell you that the 458 is very different to drive - it has to be if they don't want to have too much overlap between models. I am very curious about the spider, would love to have one of those.

Onno

22. rainforest

Apr 14, 2010
    Short Apple stock? I might end up losing my California too!

I guess I won't really understand the difference until I drive the 458 or 430.

23. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    Rainforest, lucky you. IN my town, California average wait is if you order today delivery is next summer so 12 months. For 458, sold out till 2014. Honestly, when you talk about the money you put into a California measuring from a car POV, it's insane money. Entry level or not, I think people no longer pick California cos it is cheaper. They pick it because it is a GT. AT least for me, I pick it not because it's cheaper and over here, there's only a 16% price difference so if you spend this much, you can probably afford a little more. If you are talking about Boxster and 911, I can understand because at those price point, people would pick boxster cos it is cheaper but I think this cannot be generalized over to Ferrari. The California is already priced > the 430 new now so it cannot be cheap in that sense.

Now I guess no one would argue that a California is an everyday car. It is a lot more civil. However, it would be like saying the 911 is an everyday car and depending on who you talk to, many will say bullony... an everyday car? try a prius or a toyota camry right? The word Everyday is all relative. I would use the word the California is a grand tourer, hence it provides more comfort travelling over longer distance due to space and trunk space (relatively more). Also, why California is more everyday is mainly due to the fact that you don't have a high revving mid engine sitting behind you everyday and it is a bit of a chore to bend down that much everyday on a low ground hugging car. It is a very track oriented car. BTW, if you compare the California to the Mercedes, it is no longer an everyday proposition. If you compare the Mercedes to Lexus, the Lexus is even more everyday. Mercedes is a passenger car focused company and it is much more quiet and soft even compared to the softest of sports car. The California is unruly by comparison with such engine tune. The SL would still make you feel like you are in church by comparison. I could be wrong... but my 911 4s PDK was so quiet that it is almost like an E coupe...

24. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    Jen is exactly right. The California had always been the Maserati's spyder metal roof but California just needed that ONE magic to give it one more segment to draw in a new generation of buyers like JEN. If my guess is correct (I could be wrong as who knows? this may just be another mondial... let's hope not), this car will hold value well (maybe not as much as 458 but still) because of the following reason:

1. V8 (holds value better, easier to maintain)
    2. Only GT with folding roof
    3. 7 speed dual clutch
    4. 2+2 and an easier ride that appeal to MEN as well as WOMEN and men would buy them so sometimes the ladies can drive it.

For purist, this is not the car but when all else is considered, it is probably one of the best Ferraris that open up a new generation and category of Ferrari. It is a V8 GT that's just to me gonna stand the test of time but who knows... let's see in 3 years.

25. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Drove the Cali and it left me cold,just as the SL63 (my current daily driver) does,both very similar cars, IMHO.
    The back seat in Cali is no advantage either,more a storage then a seat for anyone bigger then a 2 year old.
    Overall,a great alternative for a fun,quick and fairly practical daily driver (transmission much,much better then SL63).