California what to watch out for (new buyer) | FerrariChat

California what to watch out for (new buyer)

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Carlinhos1904, Jul 10, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carlinhos1904

Carlinhos1904 Rookie

Jul 9, 2024
    Full Name:
    Carlos Freitas
    Hey everyone,

Newbie here and a rookie question
    I am going to buy a natural aspirated California with 50k Km on the clock, what are the key things I should be looking at that are critical around this mileage and/or will require attention shortly ? Just want to make sure the car I am buying is in great condition …

I am with bull family at the moment and this would be My First Ferrari hence the newbie question…

Any insights and guidance regarding this vehicles would be awesome - thank you in anticipation

Carlos

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Spend some time looking thro this section and check out the many similar threads over the past few years especially those relating to DCT

3. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Early Cali's (2009 through 2012) seemed to have more DCT issues. Also check motor mounts. They fail early on these cars. Take greyboxers' advice and search threads for California Issues and California Problems. A PPI (pre purchase inspection) is always a good idea to uncover any issues not immediately apparent. Having the full service history is also a plus. Good luck!

lucydad likes this.
  4. Carlinhos1904

Carlinhos1904 Rookie

Jul 9, 2024
    Full Name:
    Carlos Freitas
    thank you Alex, makes sense on the PPI . I read about DCT just wondering if that common with NA versions..

appreciated the time will do my homework and will revert here :)

5. gregwang

gregwang Rookie

Oct 23, 2021
    Milpitas, California (Northern California)
    Full Name:
    Greg Wang
    When I bought my 2012 California 3 years ago, I paid $500 and met the seller at my Ferrari Independent Expert Mechanic’s shop for a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection.) And during the PPI my Expert Independent Ferrari Mechanic discovered the car needed new motor mounts, gear box mounts, new belts, new spark plugs and air filters, and some other cosmetic items such as window buttons and missing clamps for the air box vent hoses . The seller paid almost $5,000 for all the repairs discovered from the PPI before we finalized and consummated the deal.

Therefore, since this is your first Ferrari I highly recommend you have an experienced and expert Independent Ferrari Mechanic who has extensive experience working on a California or a California T perform a PPI before you take the plunge and buy it, so you can be in a much better position to negotiate the price, so you know the condition of your new Ferrari going in. Good luck to you! And Happy Top Down Day! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

lucydad and alex like this.
  6. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Many new buyers forget to check tire age. Tires are important, too! May be a point for negotiation.

gregwang likes this.