California, wheel spacers and bolts. | FerrariChat

California, wheel spacers and bolts.

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Seongsoo Kim, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Seongsoo Kim

Seongsoo Kim Rookie

Nov 12, 2017
    Korea (South)
    Full Name:
    Sungsoo Kim
    Hi guys,

It is my first post. (sorry for the first post with asking)

simple questions. the answers will be highly appreciated in advance.

I'm now preparing spacers. so I bought H&R 17mm spacers for front and rear.

My questions are,

1. I bought also 70mm bolts from H&R. Are these right for this 17mm H&R spacers?
    fyi, i bought these. (1457011 from this page. http://www.hrsprings.com/applications/bolts)

2. anyone set these parts? (can I see the pics if possible?)

thanks in advance again.

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sungsoo, if I follow instructions on the webpage you refer to, 69 mm would be the resulting length if you take a stock lug bolt length of 52 mm and add 17 mm for the spacer. So 70 mm would likely be the nearest available length of lug bolt.

However, generally-speaking, even the best quality hub-centric hub spacers should only be used if you have wheels that actually need the spacers to achieve the right fitment for your car, not when you have already correctly-fitted wheels. It's always better to use rims that are correctly made for your car, without spacers. Adding spacers to correctly-spec'd wheels will reduce performance, negatively affect handling, braking safety and add stress to the lugs and wheel bearings.

3. Seongsoo Kim

Seongsoo Kim Rookie

Nov 12, 2017
    Korea (South)
    Full Name:
    Sungsoo Kim
    Thank you 4th_gear.!
    I need to re-consider to install. still i'm not sure whether the spacers don't make any problem to cars or not.
    again thank you for your advise!.

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Seongsoo, I'm glad my comments have given you cause to research this modification more carefully.

For what it's worth, the factory setup of the wheels on the Cali30 does leave some room for performance improvement as well as improvement in appearance. At one time I was also tempted to use spacers on my 2013 Cali30, until I researched and understood the technical implications. I had to admit to myself that I nearly made a big mistake and eventually I ended up configuring a set of new wheels and tires, which resulted in impressive improvements to my car. The process took more than a year.

Trying to come up with a proper setup for my new wheels was not straightforward because I was nearly taken in by a tuner who (lazily) suggested an entirely wrong setup for my car. This sidetrack went on for a year. The tuner was very reputable but something didn't feel right so I kept putting off placing my order. I only realized what was wrong after I was able to understand and manipulate all of the factors that go into specifying the fitment that achieved what I wanted. Useful information can be found on the Internet if you are careful and patient. Honest and reputable rim manufacturers will verify a fitment or do it for you, but they won't tell you the fitment before you order. So in the end, it's much safer and more satisfying if you understand for yourself all the factors that affect a fitment and can personally come up with the fitment or at least verify the fitment that is being offered to you. You also end up understanding your car better.

Good luck.

5. Jmci00

Jmci00 Rookie

Apr 2, 2016
    Curious as to what the setup you ended up going with. Your information about these cars seems to be second to none that I have seen.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thank you for your kind compliment. My setup involved 20" FR and 21" RR HRE P204 rims with 255 FR and 295 RR PSS tires. The new PZ4 and PS4S tires were/still not available in sizes I needed but with time, those sizes will hopefully become available as PZ4 and PS4S tires should represent meaningful improvements.

This is essentially my tire performance picture. My new wheels were expensive but my car is so much better on them. As for other setup details, I would prefer people to research for themselves what goes into coming up with desirable setups. You will end up weighing the pros and cons of many technical considerations over how the new wheels will look. You can verify your fitment with a reputable rim manufacturers that you have selected. It's a process that people should undertake, rather than just copy or get spoon-fed specs that they may or may not appreciate. If you have specific questions I would be happy to discuss them with you and I may also learn something new. PM me.