California's audio system | Page 3 | FerrariChat

California's audio system

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ferandre, Oct 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    I guess I just don't get it. I am a HiFi freak and could never imagine worrying about the stereo in the car. I don't care what car it is, meaningless to upgrade. If I want to listen to music it really does not need an exhaust note associated with it.

When I listen to music I "plop" down my $10,000 cartridge on my $30,000 turntable and enter bliss. Oh God that is so snobbish, but this is FerrariChat :)

2. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    Another thing that might help would be to know what Chrysler models have the system that is fitted to the California

Is it the 300C or a grand Cherokee

I believe when the unit is fitted to Chrysler they call it a mygig

When I posted something similar giving the Chrysler reference, someone corrected me saying the unit is a Becker system that just happens to be fitted to both Ferrari and Chrysler

I think it's a neat system, I'm not concerned its also fitted to Chryslers

But I'm not against improving the sound quality by retaining the "head unit"

3. AngeloASI

AngeloASI Rookie

May 7, 2010
    got this from a site (http://www.allpar.com/stereo/MyGIG-REN/index.html)

"There are several flavors of MyGig units out there. Some had Sirius tuners, some did not. Some had navigation features, some did not. European models were different than domestic. Some were built by Harman-Becker, some by Mitsubishi."

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Scott Cairncross at La Jolla Audio specializes in Ferrari stereo upgrades. Anybody interested in a recommendation give him a ring. First thing that pops up if you google the shop name.

Rule12b likes this.
  5. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    I'm tearing mine apart ( at the dealer) this week to look for this. Personally I think it's complete B.S.! First off I cannot find a sub woofer anywhere and secondly I only identify 4 speakers two in the front and two in the back. Not nine ! Finally, I don't see an amp anywhere.[/QUOTE]

It's a total of nine drivers, car companies have been bs'ing counting tweeters and mids as separate speakers for years.

6. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    This car has the worst stereo system I have ever heard in any decent car. Considering I paid over 5k for the upgrade, I'm floored just how bad it actually is. My wife's basic BMW stereo is infinitely better than the 5k upgrade. The upgrade consists of a $200.00 amp and $50.00 speaker upgrades. The head unit is exactly the same. Search my name and you will see the photos I posted. Now, if you really want to listen to a stereo upgrade, listen to the B&F system in the SLS. That's an upgrade !

7. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    #57 hotbmwm3, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    This link might explain the claim of 9 speakers

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&P=&V=diag&I=114099

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&P=&V=diag&I=114098

Here is a great thread thanks to xenon

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297916

One of his posts even quotes primary source information about power of amps and speaker types for the upgraded option, fantastic information to help us source aftermarket options that are good value

Below is the PDF sales brochure for the upgrade option

http://oursocialmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Ferrari_JBL-Flyer_final.pdf

And the jbl retail speaker website
    http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/landing/productLanding.jsp?catId=cat70006&question=&pageSize=1000&trail=1002%3Acat70006%3A1002%3Acat170049&sort=-price&_requestid=27406

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #58 Need4Spd, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Before taking possession of my '11 Grigio Silverstone/Nero California, I had the following components added:
    Audison Bit Ten Processor http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=42
    Audison Voce 6.5" component speakers
    JL Audio 8" sub in custom enclosure
    Alpine PDX-F4 Amp (100w x 4)

The rear speakers and head unit remain stock, as do all the functions.

The sub is mounted in a custom enclosure in the trunk. This takes away the pass-through feature, so if you are a golfer and use the pass-through for clubs or for other long things, this won't work for you.

The transformation to my ears is well worth the modest investment over the standard stereo and loss of the pass-through feature. At first I thought I erred in adding too much bass, as it sounded too bass-heavy in the showroom. But once out on the road with exhaust and road noise to overcome, especially with the top down, the balance was perfect. Crisp highs and well-defined mid range, and nice bass fill. Completely OEM look inside the passenger compartment.

Also some pics of the rest of the car (taken with my iPhone - I didn't have anything else with me at the time).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #59 Need4Spd, Mar 2, 2012
    Update. The Audison Bit Ten failed within the first day or so of operation! I'm told this is a rare occurrence, lucky me.

Now get this. The installer had to take the car apart to test and confirm the diagnosis and as luck would have it, the last Bit Ten he had in stock was the one in my car. So, he got on the phone to Audison, who approved him upgrading me to the Bit One for no charge! At the same time, my installer added a perforated grill to the subwoofer enclosure, giving it a more finished look. Compare the pic below to my prior post.

If you want a similar system and live in the SF Bay Area, go to Cartronics in San Rafael and ask for Marty or Steve. They do super work. This is the third car of mine they worked on (the other cars NOT Ferraris), and they work on high-end cars all the time (Ferraris, obviously, as well as Maseratis, Porsches, etc.).

10. rajat.narang23

Mar 16, 2010
    Halifax, N.S.
    Full Name:
    Rajat
    Love it!
    More install pics please if possible :)

11. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Where did you get the luggage net?

Rick

12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #62 Need4Spd, Mar 4, 2012
    Thanks. As for more pics, sorry, I wasn't around for the installation when the car was apart, so I don't have any. Apart from the subwoofer enclosure in the trunk, you can't see anything different from stock. The Audison drivers sit behind the stock speaker grills. I'm not sure where the installer hid the crossovers. The amp is built into the subwoofer enclosure, and the Bit One is tucked away behind the right trunk panel (near where you plug in the battery maintainer).

It's a BMW net for e46 (~2000-2005) 3 series convertible. I think the part number is 51 47 9 410 805, but you should check with a BMW dealer, or go online and get it from one of the dealers who sells discount BMW parts online (I think The BMW Store in Cincinnati is one of them.)

The net I have has clips on two of the hooks (which I fastened to the rear of the trunk (towards front of car), so they don't inadvertently come unfastened, and the other two hooks do not have clips, to make it easier to unhook them for loading things underneath. The size is perfect for the California. Beware that BMW of course has larger cargo nets for their larger cars, and you don't want one of those.

And speaking of BMW parts, I'm also probably going to put in a small parcel net from their parts bin, too. I've done this on most of my other cars, as it's really handy to have, and I'm pretty sure it will fit the tunnel on the passenger side. It mounts with self-threading carpet mounts (included), which later can be removed, if you want. http://leatherz.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=01&Product_Code=ParcelNet&Category_Code=Z3_Safety_Conv
    $27. Either that, or try and find a similar part from a 430 (which no doubt would be more expensive).

13. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Since the cost of replacing with a stock system is so high you might consider an upgrade.
    Scott and his folks do great work. Worth the trip.

14. Autodynamics

Autodynamics Rookie

May 4, 2013
    can someone post a picture of the factory radio? i would like to see if possible the back side of the radio, and if there is a usb port that is available on the rear. i wouldn't like the cable draped across the front side where it is now. S o if anyone has a oem radio or a schematic on it that would be helpful. Thanks in advance

15. Sak M

Sak M Rookie

May 10, 2014
    it is possible to replace the factory stereo. I am actually working on one right now.
    the head unit is being replaced with a Pioneer 6100NEX Navigation Carplay unit. front doors speakers are being replaced with Focal KRX2 component speakers. AudioMobile Subwoofer will be in the trunk. Mosconi 2 channel and 4 channel amplifers powering the system.

I will post pictures soon.

16. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL

Look at my expansive post on this topic. I recently upgraded to a Pioneer 8100 Nav Carplay/Android Auto unit. Amp under the passenger seat. No subwoofer as I didn't want to lose the pass through. Stock cardboard speakers replaced with ceramic. Rear view cam. All for less than the price of the Ferrari upgrade.

Would love to find a way of adding a subwoofer without losing trunk space. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. ferrariman79

ferrariman79 Rookie

Nov 30, 2015
    Maryland
    Any updates on the progress on build?

18. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    About the Sub. Can u place it in the rear trunk area. The low frequencies will pass thru to the driver area fairly easily. Maybe you can get rid of the tool kit and its plastic enclosure and use that space for a thin amp.

19. jcarb123

jcarb123 Rookie

Sep 29, 2016
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    John Carbonaro
  20. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Wow! A blast from the past! I first took my 1988 Toyota Forerunner to La Jolla Audio and Scott in 1988. Since then I've had a few cars go through his shop. He really is the best with high end automotive systems (obviously he was doing me a favor back when I was 17). Just interesting to see his name pop up here. Unsurprising considering the quality of his work and expertise that he is still rocking at the top of the industry THIRTY years plus, later. Bravo.

21. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I don't know what stereo is in the 2015 Calf T I just bought. I was surprised to see it had Apple Car play (I was told it was among the first cars to get that $4500 option), so I am assuming it probably has the upgraded audio. I have all the high end stereo in my cars (both my S Class and AMG GTS have the best stereo and my RR has the top of the line Meridian with 23 speakers), which is a waste since they sound the same to me as the 4C does. My hearing is gone, but if anyone is looking for a shop to do stereo work there is a place right near Algar that can do it. If anyone wants the contact info, PM me.

22. TooHot

TooHot Rookie

Apr 15, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gene Lorenzetti
    Does anyone know how to remove radio on 2015 cali t. ?
    Need to send out for repair

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    As an audiophile, I concur and say that is rather snobbish - even by FChat standards.

It would be more becoming and interesting had you named the cart and TT, rather than the price.

I suppose a suitable and equally snobbish retort from a veteran conneseur would be to ask, why on earth you would put a 10k cart on a 30k TT?;)

Sorry about the hijack. Couldn't resist:)

Best

24. TooHot

TooHot Rookie

Apr 15, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gene Lorenzetti
    How do you remove radio on california
    Need to send it out for repair and I can’t seem to figure out how it comes out any help would be appreciated thank you