Cam locking tool | FerrariChat

Cam locking tool

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ria, Jan 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
  2. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Phill,
    Do a search, and you will see some. One way is to put paper under one of the cam bearing caps.

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you mean a cam locking tool?
    for what? you have to adjust the timing anywhy so it needs not such a tool - or I never had to used one at a F

4. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    yes sorry i misspelled it can someone pleas fix it. i need the cam tool to hold the cams in plase to change the timing belts.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    On the flat 12..the cams will not spring like on the v8. For peice of mind, you could mark the rear of the cams I suppose if they do move, just line your marks back up and slip the belt on.

However..if you are doing this right, you should have the valve covers off, cam sprocket bolts removed and pins out. Set your cams to the reference marks on the cam caps, finger tight sprocket bolts, place belts then set tension. Remove sprocket bolts, Insert driving dowel, reinstall sprocket bolts hand tight, and rotate engine a few times. Varifiy all marks line up, then set cam timing from there..

of2worlds and turbo-joe like this.
  6. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    I do not need to replace the oil seals no oil liking any where that is why I was looking for locking tool I think I will replace just the belts.thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you have the engine out then always change the seals. it is not much work and the seals are not so expensive. better do so then later when the engine is in again and you see some leaks at one of the old seals

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You are working on a 300k car. I think a few hundred extra bucks in parts and time are worth it. But it's your car at the end of the day. Do as you will..

9. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    i am' thinking you guys are correct i will need to do the cam seals thanks to all of you for your input.

10. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Good decision!
    Ditch the cam locks & add in all new seals!

PS: Confirm your cam timing both BEFORE and after you change the belts. If somebody before you mucked up the timing you will catch it and correct it rather than copy it. If you only check it AFTER your belt replacement, you will be perplexed and question your results.

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
  12. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I always check the cam timing before I take the motor apart. That way I know if it is just a little off due to normal belt stretch, or if is way off due to someone mucking about in the engine that had no clue about how the motor was supposed to be timed. I check the valve clearances before as well, so I can easily change the shims when I have the cams out to replace the seals. It doesn't take much extra time, as you have to have the degree wheel all set up to check the cam timing after you replace the belts.

turbo-joe likes this.
  13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    good idea to do so brian, but this I only do when the customer tells me something about engine not runnning right