cam shaft fitting and cam seal help please "328 Euro" | Page 3 | FerrariChat

cam shaft fitting and cam seal help please "328 Euro"

Discussion in '308/328' started by Milkshaker0007, Oct 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi John K,
    That worked a treat,after about 2.5 complete revolutions it went so much tighter,they are both tight and you can pluck them nicely.
    Just shows I needed to use both methods on my car, rear bank did with verell method and front bank the ferrari way.
    Yesterday Did a lot more cleaning around the engine, removing lots of road dirt/oil residue, ready for assembly next week.
    No work today, watching rugby word cup/Grand Prix:)

2. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I bet if you rotate your crank slowly and continue checking with a loose tensioner, you'll find most of your 'floppy' belt again.

I just have a hunch.

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Just an FYI, incase you didn't know. The Ferrari WSM says rotate two revs and maintain tension on the belts and tighten the tensioner bearing. Ferrari changed the method to rotate the engine twises watching the tensioner bearing. Stop the rotation (after 3 revs) where the bearing is extended the furtherest
    FIY Ferrari changed the tensioning procedure from the WSM for QV back in 1984. See the attached SB for the proper procedure for all QVs. The SB discusses 193 model years QV as they were not original equipped with the newer belts.

Attached Files:

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Finding it amusing that the factory book time for tech compensation on a belt change is 6 hrs. Wondering if a degree wheel was part of the procedure. ;)

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Let's see.

Move car into shop
    Open rear deck
    Remove ignition wires
    Remove plugs
    Remove engine brace to rear cam cover
    Remove air inlet duct
    Remove PCV pipe to cam covers
    Loosen fuel distributor mount (necessary to get rear cam cover off)
    Remove front and rear cam covers
    Prepare heads and cam covers for new gaskets
    Set valve lash on cylinders 1 and 8 to 0.5 mm
    Lift car
    Remove right rear wheel
    Remove fender liner
    Remove AC, WP and GEN belts
    Remove AC compressor
    Remove Belt covers
    Rotate engine to TDC and lock cams
    Loosen tensioner bearing bolts
    Compress tensioners and lock
    Remove old timing belts.
    Install new timing belts
    Tension timing belts
    Check the marks
    Mount degree wheel on crank
    Set up dial indicated to cylinder 1 intake timing
    Check intake timing
    Adjust dowel pin as required for rear bank intake cam timing
    Repeat above 3 steps for rear bank exhaust and front bank intake and exhaust
    Put everything back together.

Lots of details left out, but that's sort of it.

Not to mention that if the cam covers are coming off, any reputable shop would also check the lash on all the valves and they generally remove the rear deck to do the work.

All in 6 hours? :rolleyes:I think they are over charging. :eek::D

You know, thorn, I never paid much mind to those hours but based on you comment I think it pretty much states volumes about whether Ferrari thinks you need to time the engine at each belt change.

6. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    John,

You just confirmed my hunch. :)

I knew some were watching the tensioner and 'setting' the belt off of its max outward movement, and some/many were not; just 2 revolutions and DONE.

I have the SBs nut had not had time to read them.

'THANX' for the 'Heads-Up.'

:)

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The service bulletin specifies a position to lock down the tensioner nut. I suppose that position is where the maximum deflection is.

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I suspect it would be one of the positions where both intake and exhaust cams are positioned such that the valve springs put the greatest force on the cams to rotate backwards, thus placing the greatest force on the tension side of the belt. hence, max static load.

9. Milkshaker0007

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Update
    Front bank is all done, cam belt cover back on with compressor and alternator belt.
    Points learnt
    Alternator belt tightened up, had to use my wooden cam locks I made to apply downward pressure onto the alternator casing from above to get enough tension onto the belt.
    Then re installed compressor only to find I put one of the mounting spacers onto the wrong stud :-( so had to take it all off again, simple mistake but time consuming never the less.
    Still lots to do as while your in their syndrome has found me more jobs to do :) to keep me busy.

Pic of front side done and one with Hills tensioners fitted with new belts on.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

thorn likes this.
  10. Milkshaker0007

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Final update,
    Work done.

New cam belts
    New tensioners
    Valve clearances
    New cam seals/o'rings/gaskets

lots of cleaning the engine area and touch up paint on small areas.
    Took it out for an Italian Service, no problems to report back :)

308 milano and Rod like this.
  11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

Or you could wonder how they find 20 degrees ATDC to lock down the tensioner specified in your PDF? A degree wheel and dial gauge are all that are needed to cam time. Ferrari choose 20 degrees to lock down tensioner. That implys a degree wheel is installed. An installed degree wheel would lead me to believe cam timing is also done because it does not take much more time to verify or dial in at this point.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Easy, you rotate the motor tot he TDC mark for bank1 or bank 2 and then rotate it 20 degree. Nothing to do with timing the cams. And please read "e" above, "stop the rotation.....". But the 20 degree comment is just a heads up as to where the optimum position is so the mechanic knows where to look for max extension. Not an instruction.

What it leads you to believe is what you want to believe. I've given a partial list of what would be involved in removing the parts required to time a 308 QV and prepare it for reassembly. If you "believe" it can be done in the Ferrari allotted 6 hours you are, again, believing what you want to believe.

For those who haven't looked at the SB, here is the complete part on tensioning:

Note the statement, "As an indication" and the caveat that it applies to only US engines. They don't indicate what the position is for Euro cars, which have different cam timing, hence the position is different.

Saabguy likes this.
  13. Milkshaker0007

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks everyone for your input and advice even if though some of it goes over my head as I explained I'm not a Mechanic in my opening thread.
    What I've learnt is as long as you take your time and have all the reference marks lined up before you start, it's pretty straightforward but never the less, the first time you turn the key it's still a bum clenching moment:)

The weather in U.K. Today was great so took it out to a car gathering at Caffeine and Machines just outside "Stratford upon Avon" ( you may of heard of this place)
    was asked to park front of house, it's still got style after 30 years :)

miketuason and Rod like this.
  14. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hi Milkshaker.
    Was there a particular reason for choosing the 0.35 - 0.40 mm clearances?
    It seems that the workshop manual and owners manual conflict, but the consensus of opinion is that the clearance values were updated to 0.30 to 0.35mm.
    Has this opinion changed back to 0.35 to 0.4mm?
    I hope not, all mine are just under 0.35mm!