Cam timing question | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Cam timing question

Discussion in '348/355' started by markgllc, Jun 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Pink marks mean nothing. Maybe someone at some time did that to see the cog timing mark line up with the mark on the covers. That is a bad way to time anyway or even assemble. On my engine I totally ignored those on the cog especially because I moved my cogs as needed during degreeing. I had no interest or intention for the cog timing mark to line up with the timing cover because I would never use that "check" ever for anything "period." For as lazy as Ferrari is I have no idea why that was part of the design. AS far as an FNA shop is concerned they all were trained how to degree. We can only assume that they are taking the time to do it. Degreeing takes time, persistence and attention to detail to do well. But the benefits are worth it.

2. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    #52 gidge348, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
    The paint marks may, or may not be correct..... if ***YOU*** did not put them on ***YOU*** don't know, one thing for sure the engine was not designed with them on.

If ***YOU*** have not done the belt on THAT engine before, you MUST check with degree wheel, dial guage and the vernier gears on the cams, then you can put on your own paint marks to make it easier next time.

The engine may run fine for years, no problem, with the timing slightly out but it just takes a slightly blocked cat, a slightly warmer day, a slightly worn guide, a spirited drive and the next thing you know you are picking exhaust valves out of your headers.... :(:(:(:(:(

I would say, particulary with the well documented guide and seat issues on the 355 I would not risk it.

Sure it will take a few hours to get it right, but do it once...., do it right.... and enjoy the ride...

3. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    All,

I am doing a major service and would like to degree my cams can anyone point me to a procedure and parts to do it?

My car runs great and I I just set it up to where it was set when I bought it. Some of the marks are off a bit so I assumed the tech that did the timing corrected it. I have found other things that he did that were wrong or incomplete.

Thanks

Rob

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Send RifleDriver and/or DaveHelms a PM.

5. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I really dont want to bother them as i know they are busy, but I am hoping that some that posted to this thread will respond! :)

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Not normally the one to challenge Ernie, since doing it on the dyno is the only real way to KNOW what is going one, but:

Do you drop the engine after each dyno run to move the cam adjustment and play with the power band, or jurry rig: gas, water, and oil functons with the subframe out of the car?