Camaro 1LE SS or ZL1 as a Track Car? | FerrariChat

Camaro 1LE SS or ZL1 as a Track Car?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by KM1959, Feb 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    So I have to admit that after owning 5 or 6 Camaros in my lifetime that I had given up on them as a serious car about 10 years ago. My '69 SS, while gorgeous, allowed me to meet more tow truck drivers than I had ever anticipated. My wife and I want to track a car and our 911 Turbo and F430 are just too nice to flog. (Read: I'm too much of a wussy to do it)... Yeah, I know that's what they are designed to do.

Anyway, a friend of mine, someone who has driven more exotics than 99% of us, recently bought a 650HP 2018 Camaro ILE ZL1. It shocked me at first but since I trust him implicitly, I have looked into them further. Apparently, they are track monsters that shame all but the very best cars out there. Anybody else have first hand experience with one? He also highly recommended the SS 1LE with a 455HP which can be picked up for 1/3 the price of a moderately-equipped 911S.

2. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    They work very well on track. I'd suggest an upgrade to the factory oil cooler ( for the 1LE SS), good brake fluid and you'll be amazed how well they work.

3. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    My son has a '17 1LE that we tracked at Texas World Speedway last August. It is a fabulous car on track and an all around great car too.

4. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks guys, that's what I was hoping to hear. When I explained the differences between the three 1LE cars, emphasizing that the SS was probably "more than we need" she laughed and said "Why would we buy the 455HP one if they offer a 650HP version?".

5. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
  6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Just be prepared to buy lots of expensive tires ad brakes!

7. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    For the money they are unreal for the size of the car, like the hellcat and all the rest, the old cars from when we were kids are just old.
    More soul, but a/c , heated seats and all the rest sure make them nice cars.
    GTJOEY1314

8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Top gear show just reviewed it on track w rory and sabine. Too big and heavy for me but very iimpressive regardless. Now the domestics just have to adopt dct and would be big trouble for Europeans.