Cambelt article by Michael Sheehan | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cambelt article by Michael Sheehan

Discussion in '348/355' started by AceMaster, May 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

I agree with FandL. I think it is just a PITA to try and adjust valves with the engine in and using that dumb little bucket depressor and try to pry the tablets up all while trying to reach way down in there and not get dirt in the head. It is just a heck of alot easier to drop the motor and time it perfectly and adjust valves perfectly and easily with camshafts out. I'm in the 3 year camp, however, always on time because rarely do these cars get the miles. In my 348 racecar the engine came out every summer because it was too hot to race. I changed the belt yearly and retimed it and reset valave lash plus other stuff. 348 Belt cost me 50 bucks and my 550 I think it was less then 100 for 2 belts. The job is so easy why put it off? I guess lots of guys let their valve adjustments go 12 years with the 12 year old belt too? It is funny to me that guys will want to put in tubi's, hyperflows, testpipes and chips yet fail to just keep the car up to Ferrari standards of regular timing belt changes and proper timing. Ferrari is very specific in writing of what belt interval should be. I don't understand why there is even a discussion.

2. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I strongly agree with this point - it is more than just the cam belt, but several other critical components that need to be checked and/or replaced.

The dentist analogy is very good also.

Fatbillybob also made some very good points. This forum rocks! :)

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I just picture all those valves and pistons as I shift at 7k on a bright Saturday
    morning and think that $5k every three years ain't so much. Some have gone
    much longer. A few have gone much, much less. I bought a Ferrari - not a Honda.
    EVERYTHING with this car is expensive. I can do $5k every few years. Ain't no
    thing - why take the chance? Besides - I'm happy to keep my local F-wrench
    (Carlo at Alfa of Tacoma, WA) with an income :) YMMV

Jedi

4. troy_wood

troy_wood Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Troy Wood
    #29 troy_wood, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
    Nicely summed up once again FBB...

I completely see what you are saying about introducing crap into the head while trying to check/adjust valve lash with the engine in - not to mention getting a clean, leak proof RTV/gasket seal. I would think it would be hard to get the feelers in there for an accurate reading as well.

It's funny that there aren't as many posts of guys wanting to do routine service for the purpose of checking/adjusting valves... I know Brian has spoken before about improper valve clearance causing CEL's. (this doesn't seem to get much talk by the way) Plenty of reasons to drop the engine regularly in these cars...

5. 50hdmc

50hdmc Formula 3

Oct 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    mark s
    Yep, what Troy said..................

Found out during my first 348 engine out how much stuff other than the belt itself could lead to disaster! It is worth it just for the peace of mind..

6. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Quote from the article:

"...even if one loses a single tooth (from a cam belt), because the cam sprockets are multi-toothed, the loss of a single or even several separate teeth on the same belt would not cause the cam timing to slip."

That's one of the most bizzarre statements I've ever read.

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #32 Spasso, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
    T-Mobile guy, 348, 5 years and a day..

8. f1karting

f1karting Karting

Jul 19, 2006
    BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Jan H
    A rich one at that, judging from the brokerage fees he claims he makes.
    Seems to have made quite the name for himself .. both good and bad by the looks of it.

Wonder where he gets all his knowledge.. he doesnt seem to work on the 'newer' cars he 'talks' about.

9. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    I would say its time for some guys to get their hands dirty and "experience" what they are giving advise about. In defense of the Gates engineers statement's I am not sure if he was speaking about a Tercel or a Ferrari which are vastly different in their operations, use and engine bay operating conditions.

I have posted enough pictures to show that 9 years is taking the risk level way too high and after 3 years the stretch and wear of the rubber belts affect the performance and emissions reliability. I have no idea where the "missing only one tooth" or the "annual visual inspection of the cam belt and tensioners" statement's would come from..... ridiculous in my view.

I am not really sure what the point of this artical is.... makes for good reading, gets folks names out there and has some accurate statements mixed in. There was a time when Ferrari was using the 2 (!) year recommendation mark for TR cam belt replacement... the DOT Annual Cost of Maintaince index had a large effect of the recommended time span of these belts here in the US, not the actual "need" as one would hope to read in a handbook. I would bet the engineers at the factory were going pale when the sales staff started throwing around 50K+ mile inspections on the belts. What went in print and what was being openly spoken of were two different things. Follow the money and look for the motive and the answers can be found. Those who's job it was to keep these cars reliable and as cost efficent as possible told a whole different story, one that I have chosen to believe and follow as they were based on facts, not sales figures.

We are two years into testing a theory/upgrade related to cam belt wear that may shed some light on slowing the wear process. The end goal is not to extend the belt interval but to make it wear less, hold better timing and put the focus on other critical parts that can be better monitored with the engine in place. Fix one weak link and you will find the next...its a package deal, one component affects the next.

10. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    Thought folks might like to hear a Ferrari Dealer service manager's view on the article.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and while very respected Mr. Sheehan is known for bashing Ferrari a bit. There are just as many people stating they wait five plus years with no problem as there are people that can tell you they waited to long. Few people are going to brag they went 6-7 years on a timing belt if it broke or stripped and caused significant engine damage. With a 355 belt service being $3500-$7,000., depending on the needs, gambling a $30K-$50k belt breakage (worst case scenario) isn't something I would chance with my personal vehicle. Digest all the different opinions and make a decision as to what your comfort level is. Ferrari changed their recommendation from five years to three years due to failures near the five year mark. 550 and 575 have now been extended back to 5 years with the introduction of a new belt from the manufacturer. Ferrari's requirement of belt age as part of a CPO is to limit new owner's expenses during the first year of ownership. This is the same reason they have minimum brake and tire thicknesses and an extensive list of other inspections and requirements.

11. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    oops. There went the Ferrari tech's credibility. ;)

12. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan

WHOA!! $50k?! I'll just buy another 355 for that....

13. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Actually in the 348 world, I find that this is not the case. There are far more of use applying the 5 years + model and I have never heard of a failed 348 belt personally from anyone using this convention. However, to each his own. Spend the money if it makes you fell better.

14. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte

Thanks Dave....well stated.

15. MaterMech

MaterMech Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    Los Gatos CA
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    #40 MaterMech, May 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
    The car still lives and breathes. I just pulled the engine this weekend because I subscribe to FBB's school of thought. It's an opportunity to address all kinds of potential problems and do the job right. That valve tool is a waste of time and I don't know why I ever bought it. I don't know much about Sheehan other than a name but after reading that I think the guy is from another galaxy. What is he talking about he talking about with broken teeth and all?? I have to put up with non scientific people at work and it drives me up the wall sometimes. Half the pleasure of owning a Ferrari is working on it. Funny that the word risk was mentioned so many times. I said it myself in a conversation with Daniel at Ricambi today.

16. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Hi Mater,
    do you ever come to Santana Row? Keep forgetting that you live in Sunnyvale. I am in SJ.

Just noticed that you like Abalones :)

Spent last 8 days in Mendocino and went diving every day. Yum, yum. My biggest was just over 9 inches.

Let me know if you need a free diving partner.

Kai

17. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    oops, meant to make it a PM...

Doh!

Kai

18. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    .......is it Bill Gates........and what does he know about F-cars....????

.......no sorry.....bad joke....

I think it was a great article........I also think he is right in most respects.

When I got my car from a bloke who ran out of money.....it was not serviced for three years......

I put all the paperwork in the garbage can and started to see what had to be done and made a priority list.

Unfortunately the A/C compressor was not on that list why it broke on the way to England causing the A/C belt to break and the alternator belt as well......why the alternator belt broke I do not know.......maybe torn apart by the other one, I do not know.

Anyway, we changed the alternator belt and went on to GB.

QV London made the 30 000 miles service and some other "minor" stuff such as new brake discs.

From that point I decided to do it all by myself......changed A/C compressor during next winter lying on the concrete floor and then next winter bought a lift and got the gear box out (thanks to Ernie and Lars) took the gear box to Denmark for a check up.

I have "restored" the kick plates or door sills and thanks to Jamie I have new stainless steel "infills".

Thanks to Daniel I have fixed the vent flap on the A/C unit and I had to take the fan to an electrician who fixed that.

Next year it is engine out service and I assure you all.........I will not change the cam belt if it is not necessary and if the tensioners need replacing I will have to return to this forum to find out what worn out tensioners look like.

Personally I do not give a **** what the Agnelli family recommend when it comes to service of my F-car. I drive the car and I do what is best for my loved one......(that´s the car).....and in my opinion this Michael Sheehan sure knows what he is talking about.

All the best,

//B//

19. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Well stated.

20. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Perhaps the best advice, then would be to wait until the belts break...then change them the day before?

21. PeteyP

PeteyP Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Petey
    BEST!! :)

22. troy_wood

troy_wood Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Troy Wood
    The problem you will face is that in order to check the tensioners for wear you must remove the belt ... you really don't want to put the old belt back on (very bad).

In order to check the bearings for wear you need to spin and wiggle them by hand to check for play.... visual inspection is no good....

23. 50hdmc

50hdmc Formula 3

Oct 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    mark s
    ..amen to that Troy.................ask me how I know!

24. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Please post the serial # of your car so we can avoid it should it ever come up for sale.

25. ZiFF

ZiFF Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2009
    ????