Camel build | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Camel build

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by snj5, Sep 17, 2009.

1. We apologize, our new Classifieds has been intermittently down as we sent an email today that overloaded the system. We'll get it fixed and then you can link from the header "Buy - Sell" or from the email. Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I was looking at that link earlier today and I thought that it looked like your engine. The 504K should be great with that engine on it. One of the most beautiful flying displays that I ever saw was the early evening flight of the Ottawa Museum's 504k at Abottsford in 1968 lighted by a lowering sun but in a clear sky and doing a falling leaf over the field. As the pilot was blipping the engine to change power we could see the burst of castor oil illuminated by the sun. What a beautiful graceful sight of an old airplane doing a ballet for us.
    We are waiting for you, Russ.
    Switches

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I am always amazed at how big a 504 is. It must just waft around like a beautiful kite .

We are wondering over here what the transition will be like from the T-28 to the Camel - almost all of the Sopwith's design envelope is well below T-28 approach speed.
    It should be quite an adventure and a lot of fun - gotta wake up my feet getting back into short coupled taildraggers...

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Funny that you mentioned that because I have been going over the same considerations in my mind about how the Camel will respond. I doubt that the airplane will do anything for you and that you will have to fly it 100% of the time...which is good. I can see where you will have to have quick feet on take off and quicker feet on landing. Pretty close to the grass when it stalls on landing. Stick hard back until it stops rolling. I imagine that you will have a bit less prop wash, " P-Factor" if you will, but more controllable power, easier to modulate, I guess. I can't think of anything that you could get some pre-flight practice in other than a 504K so I guess that you will have to buy one of those first.
    Switches

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I am going back to the old stand-by - front and back seat time in a Champ.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I was thinking of some slow flight time in something like a Stearman but that's a bit big. An old Waco would be good too but the Champ is a practical and good move. Again. You're having too much fun..but you have earned it.
    Switches

6. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
  7. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    ...which will probably feel like a 747 compared to the Camel.

:)

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Very cool - notice how short the take off roll was there at the end of the film?
    Many thanks

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #84 snj5, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
  11. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Cool........if it was me I'd pass on the propane too.

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #87 snj5, Nov 25, 2009
    Details, details...
    A Sutton harness reproduction made in England..on it's way here now....

Very clever early technology quick release harness developed in WW1, later used in WW2 RAF planes.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Russ has his own propane..................................:p

14. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #89 snj5, Nov 30, 2009
    That's methane. :)

Here are some of the latest camel bits:
    A Sopwith stick and spadegrip with coupe' button
    Sopwith fuel sight gauge.
    1918 air ministry ignition switches

Having new panel made and instruments rebuilt/refaced.

15. Pogliaghi

Pogliaghi Karting

Jan 2, 2009
    Pflugerville
    #90 Pogliaghi, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
    Wonderful! I am in Austin and gradually restoring an Aeronca C3 "Master". I will enjoy following the build! I have some original WW1 instrument which came out of a DH4 as well as a WW1 compass in my collection of vintage aviation stuff.

Mike Short,
    Austin Texas.
    Maserati Merak 2322

16. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Great stuff, Russ. I hope that this can be shared with those who are uninformed and know not of WW1 aviation. .
    Switches

17. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #92 snj5, Dec 19, 2009
    1.Flying wires here from England! Sooooo pretty.
    2.Have a correct 1916 Mk V RCF cockpit watch to go in the panel watch holder - it works!
    3.Not sure how successful this will be, but working with Dayton Wire wheels to custom make some more correct 22" offset wheels for the more correct 28 x 3 smooth tires available at Coker.
    4.Instrument panel shaping up, instruments off being rebuilt; modern tach being re-cased and re-faced as original piece. Original 1917 instruments are: compass, tachometer (documented as being from a Sopwith Camel) and cockpit watch -- all serviced and working. Re-faced moderns to look like originals: Airspeed, Tach, inclinometer, pulsameter.
    5. Propeller currently being made.
    6. The Camel's 'hump' beautifully made by Robert Baslee on an English wheel.

Photos:
    1. instrument panel with mock-up instruments while the originals are being rebuilt. It's no F-22 MFD panel.
    2. The hump
    3. More Hump
    4. Sutton Harness
    5. 1916 RFC cockpit watch

18. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Wow. Just wow.

19. Pogliaghi

Pogliaghi Karting

Jan 2, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Russ,

Who is rebuilding your instruments? Have you ever been to Kingsbury to see Freeman's set up? He has an original Thomas Morse Scout with a rotary engine (being recovered) and a second one being finished up also in the covering stage. Roger has had a few troubles which have got in the way but hopefully the museum and workshop will continue without him for a while. He also just finnished up a beautiful Spad for Xavier Arango (Sp?) which was going to have a Hisso installed. All built to the original plans - an incredibly complicated aircraft compared to many other WW1 fighters.

Mike.

20. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Mike

My instruments were done by Keystone Instruments in Lock Haven. I live very near Kingsbury and am a member of the museum there actually. They have a wonderful library including plans.

Best

russ

21. Pogliaghi

Pogliaghi Karting

Jan 2, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Yep I have been friends with Roger since his Zuhl days. Helped him get the Pietenpol Sky Scout and he has helped me with my C3 rebuild in the past. I look forward to the spring fly-in! When do you think the Camel will be done?

Mike,
    Austin TX.
    Merak #2322.

22. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Hopefully in the spring, to trailer and show at Sun-n-Fun

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #98 snj5, Dec 29, 2009
    Worked on the panel and fittings today, with Robert finishing up some oil lines to the tank. As most here know, the cockpit and panel will have mostly all original and replica instruments. While the compass, mag switches and watch are original 1917 and Camel correct, their history is unknown, but the Altimeter is said to be an actual Camel altimeter flown in the war.
    Will finish the panel and instuments today, and hope to start and idle the engine today or tomorrow.

Would highly recommend anyone getting into this WW1 aviation - it is great fun, and FAR less expensive than WW2 types (excepting L-birds, which is on par).

__._,_.___

24. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Russ, this is getting SO exciting to see how rapidly your project is proceeding. I am entertaining thoughts of trying to get to Sun and Fun next spring. If I start walking now I just might make it in time.
    Have you settled on the exterior markings yet ? I can see a red slash on the side with a black " T " outlined in white aft of the cockade. I Remember that the blue on the WW1 cockade was a lighter blue than what is used today. Dark olive on the upper surfaces and natural linen under...but you already know that, I guess. I hope that you record the sound of the engine when you crank it up.
    Switches

25. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #100 snj5, Jan 5, 2010
    Am looking at a B flight plane from 201 Sqn or Henry Botterley's plane from 208 Sqn. (photoshop shown below). Here is a photo with the gun bucks attached for fitting before they are finished.