Camel build | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Camel build

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by snj5, Sep 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The airplane is being built identically in every dimension to the original, down to the tires. I've been lucky enough to find some original 1916 - 1918 parts to add a little ambiance, and I'm still looking. As before, the engine prop and building methods are more modern to add safety and durability (e.g, using Ceconite instead of linen, steerable tailwheel, etc.). There are no permanent mounted avionics, and no trim.

List of original, all functional and working, 1916-1918 parts so far:

1. MkV Altimeter said to have come from a Sopwith Camel flown in WW1
    2. Original compass used in Camels and SE5's.
    3. Original Air Ministry ignition switches
    4. 1916 RFC issue cockpit watch (very cool)
    5. Today scored an original WW1 Aldis Bros. Telescopic gunsight
    6. Original manufacturer's dataplate

Replica equipment, identical to original

1. Control stick, yoke and blip switch
    2. Throttle quadrant
    3. Rudder bar
    4. Airspeed indicator
    5. Tachometer
    6. Pulsameter
    7. Wicker pilot seat

Not really a museum piece, but should be a flying fun little plane.

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

So does that make it legally legit? I understand there's WW2 birds that aren't much more than that.

Such a cool project.

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Any further discussion on that and this thread will wind up in Vintage.

4. Pogliaghi

Pogliaghi Karting

Jan 2, 2009
    Pflugerville
    This will be a really nice replica! I think I would paint the aircraft (if it were mine) in the colors of 'Tommy' Lewis, von Richthofen's last victim. He was from Rhodesia and had "Rhodesia" painted on the side of the aeroplane. I was born in Rhodesia and Lewis was still alive and living in Salisbury when I was a kid. I have a print with his signature on it.

Mike.

5. Pogliaghi

Pogliaghi Karting

Jan 2, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Just checked one of my books and Second Lieutenant D.G. "Tommy" Lewis flew with 3 Squadron RFC. He was flying Camel B7393 when he became Richthofen's 80th and last victim on April 20th 1918.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    To capture the essence of the period is all important. Do as much as you can to do that with modern safety and you will accomplish your goal. I commend you for doing as much as you can to do this. The rotary engine is a millstone around the neck of anyone who tries to recapture the WW1 flying. Get rid of that and you can show the airplane in the air with a reliable and controllable engine and some safety for the pilot and everyone else. Purity is a commendable target but it limits the exposition of the entire project.
    Switches

7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #107 snj5, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
    That is an interesting thought all of us Ferrari guys have based on 0846 and other 're-creations'. Although we all know in our hearts that no matter how accurate, all of these cars and planes that did not substansially come from the factory with an unbroken trail are all replicas at any level of authenticity.
    What I was told with airplanes, was that legally the data plate gives identity in type registered/certificated aircraft, which is why the WW2 guys make such a fuss. Apparantly, I'm told, WW1 planes pre-date all this legal mumbo-jumbo and there were no rules, i.e., the data plate is just another part.

Somewhat different on planes than on cars (Ferraris in particular) is that the identity of the plane is not tied up in the engine. The Camel alone had over 4 engines that it came with, and these were routinely interchanged. The airframe defines the plane, as opposed to
    Ferraris where the engine block and frame must match.

This is the way I've always thought about cars. So to me, a rebuilt original Ferrari engine with new pistons, heads, etc, #xyz that was put in a new build chassis, even with original parts and #xyz data plate is just that - a replica of xyz with some of the original parts. Pretty cool, but not car xyz.

It's much akin to the story of a place that displayed an original ax belonging to George Washington. It's just that the handle had been replaced three times and the blade twice. Other than that, it's original!

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Addison Pemberton " rebuilt" his Boeing Model 40 from essentially a data plate retrieved from a wreck of a 1929 Mod 40 that lay in the mountains for 79 years. His airplane is Ser. NC 5339, same as it was in 1929.

9. Pogliaghi

Pogliaghi Karting

Jan 2, 2009
    Pflugerville
    That's all you need - data plate and paperwork and you can build from scratch as long as the aircraft conforms to the original TCDS you are good to go. This is for an aircraft that will be in the "Standard" catagory. Experimental catagory and other cats are obviously different.

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #110 snj5, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, exactly. To receive a standard categorization, one must have the original data plate, CAA type certificate and conform to the original TOs - which the wonderful Pemberton built plane all has and is registered on its original type certificate as a 1929 Boeing -- a good example of a certificated Boeing not built by the original manufacturer.

The challenge for WW1 aircraft is that the CAA did not come into being until 1926.

An example here would be the Rhinebeck Thomas Morris S4b, listed on it's FAA registration as built in 1918 with serial number 153 and toting the original LeRhone and still meeting original specification. But - no type certificate as the CAA didn't exist yet, so N74W is experimental with no type certificate. The alternative to type certificated is amateur, even though the Tommy Scout was a factory built plane bought by the US

Intersting contrast that the factory built original Thomas Morse is an Amateur experimental and the private individual built type 40 is a certificated Boeing!!!

OBTW - I think that is what Ferrari is doing with the Classiche program - 'selling' retroactive "type certificates" for early cars to 'certify' that it is a Ferrari!! And let's not even begin discussing Carroll Shelby's licensing...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #111 snj5, Jan 7, 2010
    View over the hump shaping up; blocking in the carb heat for position, will use "knife handle" lever for final. Pulsameter will go on lower left hand side of the panel, plumbed to oil return line (low pressure). Next will mount inclinometer, compass card.
    Since I fly a bit by reflex, I am considering putting a small traditional ball at the top of the instrument panel - especially as I get the feel of this short-coupled hoss. Will have to brush up on my mag compass flying since I've become such a GPS weakling.
    Electrical system: 4 toggles, a light and a button. No permanent avionics.
    22" wheels being made at Dayton on Robert's hubs to support more accurate 28 x 3 tires.
    Thinking ahead a bit, it will be more accurate, including the more (and accurate) severe three-point ground angle. Should be an intersting landing roll-out and taxi.
    Gun butts will have leather pads to protect my good looks.

12. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Russ, you have more original parts on it than some PB and Cavallino winners. Looks great. We'd like to come down and look at it sometime if you're in town. PM prn.
    PS, you have to have looks before you save them :)

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The data plate thing is really funny. I have the world's only original Fokker Dr.I data plate for Dr. 570/17. Guess that means I could build the world's only original Fokker triplane. Except it still would not be original, regardless of funny rules.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

14. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    What a wonderful piece of history.
    It would be interesting to see what the German certification rules are.

15. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    In keeping with the current discussion...

In my continuing support beyond reason of the British economy, I have purchased an original Ruston and Proctor (subcontractor to Sopwith) build data plate and will be going with license built Sopwith F.1 serial D1845, aircraft "C" of 208 Sqn.

16. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Russ, you are having WAY TOO MUCH FUN. I'm going to have to do something about this.

17. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    It's why many of these full size WW1 replicas are Sport Pilot eligible = for folks like us!

18. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Taz, the soul is the data plate. That and the tach needle. So for the several TR's, GTO's, LM's out there, the ones with the real data plate are real :)
    Build a Fokker, ya fokker. Consider it a cool display case for the data plate. I'll even make up a Fokker Klassiche certificate for you. When are you, Russ, and I going to get drunk together?

19. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #119 snj5, Jan 10, 2010
    This may be old news for most, but I have started using an on-line machine shop for a few weirdo parts. You can download a simple to use free CAD program from emachineshops.com which comes with a nice narrarated tutorial.
    I was in business in about 30 minutes.

My first project was a replica tach face to specifically adapt the VDO tach Rotec owners are saddled with to the 5" unit that came on Camels and other British aircraft. The re-faced tachometer slides into the custom milled aluminum housing then a cap goes on the top, and it comes out looking very close like the original unit. Attached is a screen capture as I was working the main piece. The cap was worked separately. You can see the VDO unit slips and is tightened in the center hole with a new dial on top, then the cap and glass go on top. Then the whole kittenkaboodle will attach via six perimeter screws as the original.

This online shop should be good for instruments and stuff like this, and I will save several hundred dollars, almost a thousand, on this piece alone. My next project will probably be an aeroscreen bracket or Aldis sight mount.

Hope this helps some one

Russ

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Russ, you amaze me.

21. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Russ. PM sent.
    Switches

22. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Wow Russ. Just wow. Didn't know it existed.

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #123 snj5, Jan 14, 2010
  24. MYMC

MYMC Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2006
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Any new updates?

25. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    photos next week
    tail feathers are covered. Will buy paint next.
    rigging flying controls