Camshaft Seal | FerrariChat

Camshaft Seal

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MondialNeil, Jun 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MondialNeil

MondialNeil Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    Just finished my Cam belt, tensioner and bearing replacement. Start the car all is fine sweet as a nut, engine purring. Then I look on the floor and there is a puddle of oil. Swearing commences, a lot of swearing before investigating. The back bank, left bank, left most camshaft on the V 8 seem to be where it is coming from, closer investigation shows camshaft oil seal blown. Bleeding amazing, now have to remove all what I just replaced and put back on to replace a 6 quid seal.

Anybody done the seals on a 3.2 Mondial, obviously I have to remove cam cover and belt again. I guess I would have to undo the cam sprocket bolt first before removing belt and lock the cam sprockets to undo this bolt.

I guess I can just prise the old seal out and then drift the new one in with a socket after putting some oil on camshaft end.

Is there anything else I should know.

Cheers

Brothers.

2. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I think you may be in luck. I just changed a cam seal in my 3.2, and all it requires is removal of the distributor cap, the rotor, and a plate. Be sure to make everything, which I'm sure you will do since you just finished a huge job. I'm not saying you don't have another oil leak, but the outer cam seal is relatively easy to replace. IN fact, if it's the cam seal nearest to the rear of the car you don't even need to remove the engine cover (or bonnet, as it's called in the UK!). Parts for this job are very inexpensive.
    There are quite a few F'Chat threads on this topic, and I can find a few photos if you need them.

3. MondialNeil

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    I had a look for previous articles but could on find mine lol. My leak is on the cam sprocket end. David I would appreciate very much you help in locating some previous posts.
    Thanks Neil.

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I did mine with the belt off. I used a Stahlwillie ribbed belt tool to hold the sprocket, and an impact wrench to remove the nut. But this was done with the engine out of the car. I would just make sure not to put any stress on the belt, or let the sprocket move.

Also, even with the new seals, your are still likely to get leaks. I put a dollop of silicone gasket maker (Prematex Ultrablack) at the cambox cover/head/O-ring/ junction. This will prevent leaks. Someone else had mentioned using a square ring, instead of a round one to prevent leaks, but I have never done that.

5. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Did mine a few years ago and made a video on YouTube under ' thehelidoctor ' channel.
    Anyway you might want to just remove the camshafts because I'd definitely be doing all of them ie all 4 and using silicone really works best when cams are removed.
    And when you did the belts did you check the sprocket drives for play? Don't want to make work for you but in the long game doing it this way might be best. Also when were the valve clearances last done etc? You can do the lot in one hit. Anyway my videos do cover it so you know how much is involved. They go into a lot of detail maybe too much detail but I think they cover all the problems that you might encounter on such a job.
    Good luck, Bell :)

6. MondialNeil

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    Thanks for the replies guys.

7. MondialNeil

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    Must remember to tighten oil filler cap, that sorted the cam seal leak lol.

8. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Oh my god....

9. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    .......and my God too!
    Alden

10. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Aaaaaaaa ha ha.
    Not a bad problem caused by fatigue.
    Now,,, ask me how I dropped a 1/2" six point socket down into the bell housing
    (whew)
    Thank God this is a hobbie,, or my blood pressures would be Very high.