Can a Ferrari F430 be used as a Daily Driver? Around 100 Miles a Week? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Can a Ferrari F430 be used as a Daily Driver? Around 100 Miles a Week?

Discussion in '360/430' started by graveri, Jun 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dougny

dougny Karting

Sep 17, 2005
    NY / LA
    #51 dougny, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
    It's perfectly mechanically capable of being a daily driver if you want it to be. Only issue is that there is no off switch and sometimes you just don't want all of that when you go out (noise, vibration, attention, etc).

Oddly, I drive a 911 when I want to be more low key, which actually works.

2. needspeed

needspeed Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2006
    Middle of nowhere IA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have managed 8000 miles in my first full year of ownership. Wish I could drive it to work, but politics can be an issue.

I just bought a 12 CTS-V Coupe for DD and it is crazy fun already have 3K on it in two months. I drive the F430 at least once a week, if not more......Steve

3. F-1

F-1 Karting

Sep 30, 2010
    east coast
    It all depends on your profession. If you need close to 100% reliability (my case), the answer is no. If you could afford a few hours here and there, 430 is one of the most reliable ones.
    Also keep in mind that a Ferrari is designed for racing not commuting. God bless Enzo.....

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I would agree that it depends on the profession. It's not a great city stop and go car. It's OK and you can do it but other cars would be more comfortable, cost less, be easier to park, and be more reliable.

But, it's certainly possible.

I would also answer that it depends on the distance to your dealer. If your dealer is hundreds of miles away, you'll need a local mechanic. It's rare in any situation where you drop the F car off in the morning and pick it up that night. A week is not unusual.

Something to think about.

5. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    +1

6. Ravers

Ravers Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    Hinsdale Il
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Ive had every porsche, most BMW's and recently and sl500 and z06 corvette. I figured that would be the best of both worlds. That party eventually came to an end. I now have all that i need in one car and i cant stop driving it. It has all the strengths of the 911, corvette, and benz all in one beautiful design. I cant believe i used to scoff at these things as too expensive. NO LOOKING BACK. Miles are a piling up, and Im smiling every time i hop out of it. amazing.

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    ??

I used a 275 GTB as a daily for 65K miles in NYC and the took it on ski trips.

I drove a 308GTBi as a daily for 85K miles in NYC including the snow.

I drove a TR as a daily for 155K miles in NYC and found it pretty good in the snow.

I drove a Maser as a daily for 30K miles in NYC and found it poor in the snow.

I've driven my 8C as a daily for 12K miles so far, in NYC, park it anywhere and find it so/so in the snow.

Sometime we take Meg's Bentley which she drives everywhere and is a great daily.

I've driven P 4/5 in Paris during rush hour, parked it on the street and went to dinner without any issue what so ever.

In Sicily I've driven my P 3/4 all over, parked it on the street, and went to dinner without any problem either. (In Sicily I have a lot of friends so that helps)

NMNMNMN and Zed82 like this.
  8. c4sdriver

c4sdriver Karting

Nov 17, 2007
    Ottawa
    That is so cool. I'd like to take the f430 to work but fear the parking abilities of others.

9. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Geez, How many miles do you drive a year?? :eek:

I love to drive. If being a car valet paid enough that's what I'd be doing (would have to be high end place) :)
    I agree I have no problem taking my "good" cars out in any weather or putting miles on them. Unfortunately for me though politics prevents me from bring the 430 into the office :(

10. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    As a daily driver, I think most modern Ferraris are just fine. However, you're talking about 100 miles per week, which implies fairly short trips and barely enough time for the fluids to get up to temperature -- this isn't good for any vehicle; I definitely wouldn't subject an F430 to such mechanical "torture" on a daily basis.

Also remember that the fluids need to be up to temperature before you can/should really explore the fun factor of your ride -- where's the fun if you're arriving at your destination and the fluid temps are only just getting where they need to be.

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Absolutely correct, but actually the best 5 seater sport-sedan in the world. So this is my DD that I alternate between my DBS. (Just depends on if my wife wants me to pick up the kids that day)

This thread reminds me if the "Can a Lotus be used as a DD?" Which pops up on LT every month. (I did DD my Elise). I don't feel comfortable DD my 430 due to opinions my patients may have or my fellow colleagues. Some things can be political at the hospital. Also the attention can grow weary sometimes when you're just trying to get from point A to point B.

12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    You, my friend, have great tastes in cars.
    Sorry to be OT, but can you tell us about your driving experience with the 8C and the P4/5? I've been considering the 8C

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The 8C is great nothing but oil changes so far. It's fine in the rain and not bad in stop and go but if that's all your daily driving is I agree something else would work better.

P 4/5 is the best car I've every driven.

14. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    I put over 100,000 miles on my 308. It was my first Ferrari and I drove it everywhere. Nothing major went wrong with it. It was very dependable.

15. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    my 360 is my daily driver, 55,000 miles on it and loving it. They get really dirty in the rain though, not sure if it was summer rain and the roads were dirty but lots of dirt on the sides of the car...yeah, that was the biggest problem so far :)

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have found that Ferraris are extremely reliable...... when used. All of my cars have been used for everything from DD to the grocery run, track days, trips, work and everything else.

308 for 5 years........ no problems
    TR for 10 years........ no problems until 'a dealer' screwed up a major
    Mondial t for 5 years.. no problems
    348 for 20 years....... no problems
    F40 for 5 years......... no problems
    CS for 2 years so far, and nada!

As for parking. I've always parked far away and thrown a cover on. Never had a problem.

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I saw a P4 variant at C&C Irvine the other day - which one did you own?
    Only 3 ever made?

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina is a one of one.

I also own P 3/4 0846 and 412P 0854.

My P 3/4 and 412P are the only real ones road registered in the world and they weren't at C&C Irvine.

You saw a replica.

19. msos

msos Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    S. FL
    Full Name:
    Mike S
    Short driving is not the issue as much as warming the car up (in my opinion), let her idle after start up for at least 2 minutes (maybe more in colder climates) and definitely don't do any high RPM driving until optimum temperature have been achieved. If you are driving mostly very short distances you are not really going to enjoy what the Ferrari driving experience is all about...

20. SkiAndSail

SkiAndSail Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    You had my favourite Ferrari, the 275. Short nose or long nose? 2 or 4-cam? Regular or lightweight? What did you think of it? Interior space?

21. vivace

vivace Rookie

Apr 1, 2014
    Wow this thread started in 2008! I got a 2009 F430 recently and thought it would be a pain to maintain etc...and I find it performs much better if I drive it every day as long as we take care of the clutch. Some say a car runs smoother when it's being used more often (not abused) and I think it's true. Does anyone find the F430 doesn't even consume that much gas compare to say M3 or C63? I got an E92 M3 with also a V8 and it consumes more.

22. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I bought an 06 F430 with 12,000 miles on the odometer. This was a few months ago.
    It cost me $3500 in replacing gaskets and seals that had dried up because of the non-use.
    While I don't drive the car every day, I have put 1,200 miles on it since I bought it and will continue to put miles on it every chance that I get. The purchase price was that of a Mercedes S Class so in my opinion there is no reason to view this car as some sort of great investment.
    They are made to be driven and will perform much better with use. Sitting in a garage for long periods of time keeps the mileage low, but I feel a lot of issues happen because these cars aren't being used. I am looking for a Dino GTS and despite the high price I intend to drive it frequently and not view it only in terms of an investment. Life is too short to obsess and worry about value, resale and all of the other things that go along with owning an exotic. If you lay in bed or sit in a chair for a month, you will not get up without a bunch of difficulty including aches, pains and circulation issues. Just my opinion. (-:

23. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    +1

24. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have 35K on my 07 430 Spider. My M5 uses more gas then the 430. I have a six speed and still on the original clutch and battery. My biggest expense has been tires

25. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    wow good work