Can a ipod be hooked up to the stock stereo | FerrariChat

Can a ipod be hooked up to the stock stereo

Discussion in '348/355' started by Marcelo0131, Nov 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcelo0131

Marcelo0131 Karting

Oct 14, 2009
    Stanton, CA.
    Full Name:
    Marcelo
    I did a search and only found complete radio upgrades. I only would like to hook up my ipod and maybe a new speakers. I don't mind loseing the cd changer.
    Thanks for the help

2. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Your best bet (sans replacing the headunit) will be to go with a wireless FM transmitter, you can combine this with a car charger to keep the ipod charged up. You do loose a bit of sound quality with the transmitter but the more you pay for it the better it should be.

I went with an upgrade of the head unit to a Alpine that has ipod controller built in. Works great!

3. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I use the Griffin Itrip FM transmitter. As long as you keep it plugged into the cigarette lighter, it works great. It can also run off of the iPod battery, but the reception is not as good.

4. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    I have installed one of those Sony Xplod in my car and include the direct drive for the Ipod.

5. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    #5 Night life, Nov 12, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
    Yes you can hard wire it in by removing the audio out from your cd changer, not sure if yours would be RCA if so just buy the proper attachment cable that plugs in to your headphone out, make sure it has female RCA ends and just connect. You wont be able to control your Ipod from the car stereo just the volume.

If you do not have RCA audio out then you must find the hardwired wires for the audio out and do some splicing if you are a handyman :), it's not that difficult.

Or just buy a FM transmitter, although most out there suck and are not as good as wiring it in.

6. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    For the sake of all that is Holy, it is a Ferrari!!!!!!

You don't need no stinkin' radio!!!!! Or iPod, for that matter.

Tubi, and forget it. :D:D

7. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Amen ;)

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    If your radio is the Becker with the blue plugs its easy to replace the CD changer with an Ipod cable but as noted above you will not be able to control the Ipod only recharge (& play - depending on the cable) - there's extensive instructions in the 360 section (thread 243921) - the expensive cable has two plugs to go into the radio (sound & charge) - there are two types of cheaper cables that work - one without charge and one that has to be hard wired into the loom

9. DurandDurand

DurandDurand Rookie

May 27, 2006
  10. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    The original Sony unit has RCA's from the C.D changer, but there are aftermarket units that plug straight in and also supply a feed to keep the ipod charged. As others have said, however, direct control will be from the ipod not the head unit. The early beckers as fitted to 360 is just a plug-in job as it has ISO connectors, and the later ones have total control from the head unit rather than the ipod. The latest version of ipod adapter from Becker is having serious issues with backround noise, i've had to change a few now (part no. 1860.168 is the culprit). An FM modulator as others have suggested will work fine too.

11. 355 Shwing

355 Shwing Karting

Sep 9, 2009
    Gulf Breeze, Fl
    Full Name:
    Craig Payette
    I would take my stereo out, if it wouldn't look stupid. I never turned it on, and I never will. I want to be able to hear absolutely everything that is going on in that engine bay.