Can a Z06 be a daily driver? | FerrariChat

Can a Z06 be a daily driver?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Ferrariguy2, Jun 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    Thinking of selling my daily driver (M3 convertible) and going for some old school muscle (2008 Z06). Has anyone else used a Z06 on a daily basis?

From what I can tell it appears to be fine, other than the low front end scraping speed bumps, curbs, etc. simlar to any other sports car.

2. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    #2 SMS, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
    Other that the low clearance that you mentioned, the wide tires are bad in inclement weather, but in Fl that should be less of a concern that in some regions. Reliability, service, fuel mileage, parts availability, fun factor, grocery space and good a/c all say, "why not?" My Dad drives an 08 Z06 and I put a Z06 crate motor in my wife's Z/28 daily driver.

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Sure, I can't see why not...........

4. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    Just bought one as a daily driver. I love how it drives, very civilized.....

5. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I have a normal coupe and drive it every day. Great car.

RMX

6. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    My only real problem was keeping it under 100 mph.

With a lone nose watch out when parking, and when parking over a stop, wait a minute for the suspension to raise back up before putting it into reverse, taking it easy when entering driveways, door dings still a concern but not as much with an F-Car, gas mileage is actually good, insurance costs may be higher, hard to get in and out of especially in a crowded parking lot (sits low and has long doors), storage wasn't too bad, no real place to hang a coat or jacket when you have a passenger.

Reliability was outstanding, fun factor was way up.

7. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I drove a 2006 and a 2007 as daily drivers and had no complaints. The only issue are the tires in my opinion. Because both of my cars were brand new, the daily drives really reduced the effectiveness of the run flats quickly. A better tire will make all the difference in the world.

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Uh . . .

9. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    Thanks for the thoughts guys, much appreciated. Now the hunt is on for the car.... I just realized they stopped making LeMans Blue in 2007... so it looks like I'll be trying to find an 07.... that color is incredible IMHO... why on earth did they stop making it?!!

10. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I owned a 2006 LMB Z06 and loved it. Jetstream Blue just doesn't look quite right to me, IMO

11. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I drove a friend of mines about 2-1/2 hours on the highway once. I liked the car other than the fact that on certain types of road compounds (mostly concrete) it was so loud (road noise) we could hardly have a conversation.

For sure would work as a DD. Test drive one out on I-75 and see what you think before you fully pull the trigger.

BTW his is Blue and I think an 06 or 07 pretty low mile and is casually for sale. PM me if you want more info.

12. namalaw

namalaw Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Calgary, Canada
    Full Name:
    Namala Wijesooriya
    I just purchased an 06, have been driving it daily for the last three weeks. Love it! I'm getting rid of the crappy Goodyears this week, can't wait!

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I daily drove 3 C5 Z06s and 2 C6 Z06s and they worked great. Surprisingly good gas mileage, too. My route was mostly interstate and the C5s were getting 24 mpg and the C6s 23 mpg, and I have a pretty heavy foot.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #14 of2worlds, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
    Ryan you may like LeMans Blue but 07 model year is not a good choice if you can afford newer. There were a lot of problems with needle bearings that were found attached to the magnetic oil plug on late 06 and 07's. I wonder why they stopped using a magnetic plug after that at the factory?
    All 2008's have modified steering that is a noticeable improvement over earlier years. Some guys have had a lot of problems (2nd gear) with the manual transmissions; especially the Z06 models. Some owner's don't like the way a Corvette smells due to chemicals used in the manufacture. One owner described the smell 'like driving around in a paint booth'. Do some research before you jump in; just saying...
    CH

15. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    Ok will do CH, thank you for the info.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ryan- You can treat the leather with Zaino and get rid of any smells, if there are any. Neither of my C6 Corvettes smelled of anything except leather, so I guess I got lucky.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

17. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Absolutely nothing meaner than a yellow Z06 with a black interior and red calipers. To me at least. Best of luck with it!

Chris

18. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that. 08 isn't old school.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #19 tazandjan, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes, I use my 650hp Monster Z as my DD sometimes.

It can carry a lot back there

I had Caravaggio completely redo my interior w blue & black alcantara bcus the stock interior is awful

The AC & Nav are fantastic so no worries there

My biggest problem was rubbing the carbon fiber front lip I added

21. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Hello All,

I really like the 04 Z06 fixed roof coupe, even though I understand from my readings that this style is the least desireable. Any major items to be wary of with that particular year?

Ciao,
    George

22. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    love mine and use it just about everyday... when I parked it for a week last week... i missed it...

I don't like taking it on long trips, but the MPG is pretty damn amazing though... gets better than a 6-8cyl luxury sedan on open stretches. my last trip to San Diego I got an average of 27 mph... with a stretch of 160-170mph... (don't worry, the only person I was endangering was myself...) and some aggressive throttle in the mountain pass.

I couldn't believe it

23. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    #23 solofast, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
    George,

The 04 Z is the best of the C5's, it has better shocks and better suspension tuning, it is pretty much stovebolt reliable and a hoot to drive. Only issue with the car is that the C5Z is pretty much a hair shirt sports car. It is stiff, a bit loud (since there's no sound insulation under the rear carpets and there's some tire noise) and is essentially "track ready" (add some brake cooling and take it out for regular track days). You can mitigate the noise issue if you put some dynamat under the carpets around the wheel wells and get a pop in trunk partition and it will be very liveable as a dialy driver. If you are a real enthusist you will like it, if you are looking for a crusier, get a regular coupe and not a Z...

I love mine and drive it daily....

24. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    My biggest concern on the 04's and late 03's was the change in fuel management system. Fuel pressure is read from near the tank and not the rail which can cause some issues if you ever elect to modify the car. All from memory which I think is still accurate.

25. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Thanks,

Not looking for a crusier or a daily driver, but rather something really fast. Not that I am a fast driver, just have never had a very powerful machine.

Ciao,
    George