Can an All Electric Ferrari really be a Ferrari? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Can an All Electric Ferrari really be a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Electric Ferraris' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Jan 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes, but the problem is taking a corner at high speed, then wanting to deploy all that power, in a Tesla you can't. And also we have the battery, and thus vehicle weight.

New M5 will do those kinds of numbers and let you lap a track for a while... for less.

Yes, I agree, these problems will be overcome in the next years- it could be 3 years but I think its more like 15-20.

McLaren has said it will make a pure electric "supercar" I think either 2020 or 2021.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    You can place battery weight where you want and as low as you want. Why can't you apply the torque out of a corner? Jennie's Model S handles suprisingly well AWD and low CoG. Can't wait for Rosdster and Mission E.

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Preaching to the choir, my last message was unclear. Your post is exactly what I'm saying, there is still a lot of advancement that will happen.

Ferrari can be a part of that advancement and set new benchmarks or be left behind.

Ferrari can compete to be the 'best' in the next battleground. My comment about bragging rights is in context that most Ferrari drivers I know don't take their car on a nurburgring type course on the weekend, but city streets. Tesla has already proven that maximum performance can and will be commoditized at that level.

rob lay and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Complete agree, and I think that's why Ferrari needs to be involved or be left behind. As much as there is charm with steam power, you can't stop progress. The age of ICE is setting.

rob lay and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #55 paulchua, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    My brother already put down the deposit for the roadster; he was one of the first to get the S,X and 3. I was able to drive one of the first 100 roadster gen 1 because my friend is early investor. My next door neighbor helped designed the powertrain for the S. Their corporate office is 15 min away from my house.

So you can say I have some knowledge about these cars.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I should have been clearer: its about repeated power application. These cars just can't do it yet when it comes to track type driving. Even though our beloved Ferraris have gained in weight, the Teslas are a good 2,000lbs heavier. That's a lot. That means more power needed, beefier parts needed, its a vicious cycle.

We are all saying the same thing- we are at the beginning here- so it will only get better. But for now, the tech just isn't quite there. That said, Formula E used to require a car swap mid race so they could in essence have a full new drivetrain. This year I think they will do the entire race with one car. Ferrari needs to be involved in this sort of thing.

The Tesla roadster looks interesting but gee, 2x the battery = a lot of weight. And charging the bigger battery will mean more heat or quite a bit longer charge time.

All of this is great for stop light wars, but not great for lap times. I admit, I enjoy the stop light wars sometimes, but the car that makes me more interested in it is something that can do impressive lap times.

I'm surprised no one brought up Rimac yet. That car shows some of the wild things instant torque vectoring can do.

7. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I think most car companies will just go broke and hang it up.

The day of the car as something magical, something above mere transportation, is almost over.

MalcQV likes this.
  8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I agree. And it's headed our way faster then we think. By 2021 Germany wants 1 million electric vehicles on the road. They are also eleminating coal fired plants etc. Many other countries are doing the same with Norway leading the pack.

With the USA now in position to be the world's largest supplier of oil, I can't help to think it's far to late.

9. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany

No, actually the original objective was to have 1 million EVs by 2020. However this was cancelled last year, because they realised its pure ridiculousness. Currently we are not even close to the number of 100k registered EVs.

Caeruleus11 and Booker like this.
  10. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    definitely sounds pretty ridiculous, especially since placing such a lofty goal will certainly cause companies to race each other in production, surely cutting corners and not being very eco-friendly

red passion likes this.
  11. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Its tempting to make a big, general proclamation such as: ICE cars are dead! Car companies will all die!

It might come to pass. But my experience is the world is a complex place, and what will likely come to pass will be different than most of us can predict. We might get some things right and some things wrong, but, I know that I don't have quite the imagination and intelligence to be able to accurately predict everything.

My opinion is the market for normal transportation will change and the changes will be big. I'm sure companies like GM, Ford, Toyota, VW, Honda, (sorry to leave anyone out!) are probably very well aware of this. And I think a company like Tesla has shown us what is possible. Some love and some hate Musk, but you can't deny he is a visionary. The world needs visionaries.

I think companies like Ferrari and McLaren, Lamborghini and even Porsche (sports cars not SUVs) are making something other than transportation. They are selling you entertainment and maybe you could say lifestyle. I know that must rankle the traditionalists and purists. I also think thats why a guy like Mr. Marcionne has been saying Ferrari is more than a sports car brand and is a luxury brand. Because the future for "sports cars" is probably not the greatest. But the future for luxury lifestyle entertainment items that happen to physically interact with you could be even greater than it is today. I say that because if the autonomous car sharing future does come to pass, many might be more and more drawn to something involving, interactive, immersive.

No one knows the future. But I do know the cars they are making today are spectacular.

Carpe diem!

red passion likes this.
  12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Keep in mind mercedes is introducing the first model line of their all electric car next year. Porsche will have the mission "e" on the market, vw/audi will also have thier electrics/hybirds online next year also.

That gives 2 years to get to 1 million. If the government offers incentives, then it could very well be possible.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    2 years? Maybe. around 3million cars are sold in Germany per year, and how many of those are used cars does not say in my brief research but .5 million (per year) of that is supposed to be new EVs? That’s a huge portion to take over in any short timespan. Indeed, the government will have to to help a lot for this to be possible. Maybe people can buy used EVs, but don’t think the supply and demand is there to help support the million car goal.

Caeruleus11 and red passion like this.
  14. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany

Offering more EVs does not automatically translate into much more sales. Definitely not into 1 million cars. It’s a goal which is born out of excessive desire for action without any idea how it could be achieved or what the actual benefit would have been. That’s the reason they cancelled it.

Incentives? Sure if the government pays me I will drive an EV. ;)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Well..there is the hook. If people's mobility into larger cities by gas car is removed, and those people do not like public transit, they will purchase an EV. Onice the car manufactures start advertising their EV's like they do their ice cars..people will buy. Soon enough it will not be "fashionable" to own an ICE car. EV will be the "in" thing to have. Manufacturers will capitalize on this very fact if they are smart.

16. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think that could happen, and once it gets going it will probably hit an inflection point. But I also think that point might be a little further away than some think.

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
  18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Won't happen. There aren't enough lithium reserves in the world to make all cars EV let alone most of them plus the rest of uses for lithium. They need new battery tech, which hopefully happens regardless of EV cars as I'd like better batteries for other uses (graphene-based). If you really think lithium is the answer, buy a bunch of mineral rights in Chile if that's even possible. Or just buy LIT ETF.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    "The CEO of Ferrari, Sergio Marchionne, was recently in Detroit at the American International Auto Show where he announced that Ferrari would start the production of a supercar that is battery-electric, in a bid to compete against Tesla.
    He also confirmed future plans of bringing Ferrari SUVs into the market. For several years now, Tesla has dominated the electric vehicle industry with a range of luxurious electric car models that no other company has been able to match yet. They have been able to grab a lion share of the electric supercar market and other companies in the sector have been trying to come up with their own models as well. Most haven’t come forward with any concrete plans, however, but this is about to change thanks to what Ferrari is trying to accomplish."

http://www.bmmagazine.co.uk/in-business/ferrari-working-electric-super-car-compete-tesla/

G. Pepper likes this.
  20. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    We'll know soon enough! 2020 is not that far away (Insert 20/20 vision joke here).

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    good move Ferrari on electric cars, not SUV.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  22. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Simple answer. Yes, it will be a Ferrari, because it will be designed and built by Ferrari, but it might not be a Ferrari that you and many other like-minded Ferrari fans would want to own.

We all buy Ferraris for different reasons. I could have bought any Ferrari in the current mainstream range with what I paid for my Dino, but I didn't.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    If Ferrari is losing it now, let's list all the times where they didn't lose it?
    • first time not "horse comes before the carriage"
    • V8
    • V6
    • Auto
    • F1 trans
    • FIAT
    • Bertone
    • 2+2
    • AWD
    • IPO
    • firing Pininfarina
    • 10,000+ yearly production

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  24. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

One can add the 1951 -1957 Lampredi I4 / I6-cylinder engines.

25. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Good job there are plenty of non electric Ferrari's, if anything the value of all of those might soar.

:)