Can anything be done about caller ID spoofing? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Can anything be done about caller ID spoofing?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by the_stig, Jul 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    All this comes back to the long held FCC view that only the consumer can block a call.

Trust me....if they let the major phone companies block the calls.....99% of the calls wouldn't exist. Why? Because the bad guys don't follow the rules and could care less what programs and laws the FCC or FTC comes up with. Most of these calls originate VoIP off-shore and manipulate the "A" (From number) to show a local exchange call. Still, they have to transit a soft switch gateway to be delivered to your home, business or mobile phone. It is at this point, we know the IP address of the sender. If you see 1,000 calls coming from an IP address in India, Jakarta, China or any other place......shut it down. Legitimate senders usually have contracts in place with the major US carriers to handle their traffic. These guys don't but because of the US rules....the US carriers are required to process their calls.

The off-shore guys make millions torturing American consumers with "You are under investigation", "Your computer has been hacked" and so forth.

The only way to permanently solve this is at the network and device level. Requiring consumers to decide and block every junk call number they receive is another example bureaucratic, misguided political thinking.

energy88 and Texas Forever like this.
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I agree, but whut's a poor boy to do? I made the mistake of giving my cell number on the net. Geeze Louise. All I do today is block anybody who doesn't leave a message. Money talks and bs walks.